Skip navigation

Mexico Beige Mk1 Golf 1.8t 20v smoothed bay - The rebuild !

Back to the top

Mexico Beige Mk1 Golf 1.8t 20v smoothed bay - The rebuild !

well done on the award, well deserved :-)

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
cheers guys

Back to the top
to update bought some chrome wiper arms and some chrome wiper arm caps

Back to the top
Things of beauty mate. Nice one.  :cool:  :cool:

Back to the top
update gutted i didnt make the agm

went to the german show the other weekend and picked up a trophy for the peoples choice so very happy a few pics from the show

Back to the top
Shame you couldn't make the AGM mate. I would have put money on you winning something there too.

Congrats on another award btw  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
well deserved trophy mate!!

Back to the top
Amazing achievement, popping over to Germany and taking the people's choice award, not surprising though, your car looks incredible.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
I really like this car. I've seen it in the tin and its one that tops the want list. Well done on the award and I'm sure they'll continue to pour in. Lastly, its good to see you kept it static.

Back to the top
Hi mate, just a question regarding your brakes, you still using the wilwood midilites? If so do you have to run them with wheel spacers or can you run them with out?

And it certainly has come a long way looks amazing.

Back to the top
Lovely mk1, and that bay is super clean!

On the underside photo, is that a light just behind the rear panel on the right hand side?

Back to the top

smudger said

Shame you couldn't make the AGM mate. I would have put money on you winning something there too.

Congrats on another award btw  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

cheers mate always nice to win something

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

well deserved trophy mate!!

pazwaa said

Amazing achievement, popping over to Germany and taking the people's choice award, not surprising though, your car looks incredible.  :thumbs:

thanks guys

Back to the top

Ian.N. said

I really like this car. I've seen it in the tin and its one that tops the want list. Well done on the award and I'm sure they'll continue to pour in. Lastly, its good to see you kept it static.

cheers mate glad you like it

it will never go on air !!!

Back to the top

madmk1 said

Hi mate, just a question regarding your brakes, you still using the wilwood midilites? If so do you have to run them with wheel spacers or can you run them with out?

And it certainly has come a long way looks amazing.

hi no ive sold the wilwoods they need at least a 12mm spacer to clear my old wheels they work great but are just to big to run a wheel that tucks

and thx its still progressing

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

Lovely mk1, and that bay is super clean!

On the underside photo, is that a light just behind the rear panel on the right hand side?

thanks glad you like the bay there will be a few changes over winter hopefully

yes its the fog light tucked out the way

Back to the top
I needed to go a little lower so i had to notch the drivers side you can see the rub marks on the shaft

so i stripped that side out

what the chassis looked like

i then marked out the ares and cut all the way through the chassis leg, cut metal tube to size and began welding it in

i also welded a plate above it for extra strength

primed it and seam sealed it

and painted it

Back to the top
Next up was the fuel pump i was running a pump and accumilator in the boot as my lines run inside the car, this made the car smell of fuel so time to change it all

the old pump

i needed to change the fuel tank to a gti tank as it was running the old 1.1 tank with pick up pump in the tanks
so i sourced a gti tank

bought a new bosch pump this one is good to run upto 500 bhp

out came the old tank in with the new one

i made up a mounting bracket for the pump and another for the filter and added teflon braided hose

no more bad fuel smells

Back to the top
started to buy some parts to fit over the winter 1st was a pair of nos clear opening quarter windows

series one centre console

Back to the top
went to a local vw festival v-dub island theres both aircooled and watercooled its a 4 day event with show n shine on the sunday i won one of the best top ten cars there, i also won ultra vw magazines car of the show award. i was so happy that a mainly aircooled magazine had picked my car at a mainly aircooled event !!

they also did a little photo shoot of the car for the magazine

a pic of the shoot

a couple from the festival

There are too many online users to list.