Skip navigation

Mellow Yellow 3.2ltr 24v Conversion

Back to the top

Rich. said

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

So I've had a few outings since the MOT and absolutely loving it but there were a few snagging bits.

The alloy expansion tank was not fit for purpose and didn't have enough capacity. I've installed a mk2 expansion tank on a custom bracket to the stock mk1 location. I wasn't expecting to mount anything in that location so stupidly removed the mk1 bracket even though I have a genuine mk1 expansion tank. I think there is room for improvement but it's fit for purpose and works perfectly :)The other issue was trying to remake the intake pipe work and I have managed to get it all working with a 9" servo and the large expansion tank. Result :thumbs:.

IMG_20210410_143352546.jpg IMG_20210414_174228394.jpg IMG_20210416_155703907_HDR.jpg IMG_20210420_180125988_HDR.jpg IMG_20210420_180138055.jpg IMG_20210420_180147619.jpg IMG_20210420_180610041.jpg
Are you selling the old aloy water thank? I'm looking for one like yours.
Cheers
Bergie
Already gone. Was no good for a VR6 with 11 litres of coolant, a 500ml tank is not larger enough for drawback and expansion.

Ok not a problem. I'll try to find one bigger! Don't want the oem thank!

Back to the top

Bergie64 said

The Eurowise tank looks larger. I found mine on ebay as a one off run but in order to run it I would only have an inch of fluid in the tank which is a bit low for my liking.

Back to the top
Bet that pulls like a train!
Looks amazing.

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

Looks amazing.

J

Thanks Jason, It certainly goes well but the sound  :wub:

I think I have unlocked some more power this weekend with the assistance of Rubjonny.

The clutch and brake switches weren't wired to the ecu confusing the engine because it was thinking it had the brakes on! Will find out tomorrow if it's made any difference and from what I've heard from others it's going to really open up now  :o

I must say your car is also stunning  :wub: .

Back to the top
Hat of to you Rich for all the hard work, attention to detail and fabrication you have put in to make the car something special. A great sleeper car with plenty of power and I guess the "give away" at those traffic lights on a dual carriage is 1st the engine idle noise then you disappearing in the distance….  :cool:   

I would love to see and hear it sometime so let's hope some shows/meets can happen this year.

Love the colour and such a stunning looking car..   :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

Rich. said

paceman said

Looks amazing.

J

I think I have unlocked some more power this weekend with the assistance of Rubjonny.

The clutch and brake switches weren't wired to the ecu confusing the engine because it was thinking it had the brakes on! Will find out tomorrow if it's made any difference and from what I've heard from others it's going to really open up now  :o

Thanks Rich, it's getting there!

More power, just what you need!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Hat of to you Rich for all the hard work, attention to detail and fabrication you have put in to make the car something special. A great sleeper car with plenty of power and I guess the "give away" at those traffic lights on a dual carriage is 1st the engine idle noise then you disappearing in the distance….  :cool:   

I would love to see and hear it sometime so let's hope some shows/meets can happen this year.

Love the colour and such a stunning looking car..   :thumbs:

Thanks Mark for the kind words. It's been 4 years in the making. Half of my ownership 😲 off the road and then prior to that a further 2 years doing the G60 conversion 🤣. I've told myself this car needs to be used and enjoyed so when shows start I'm hoping to start attending 🙂.

I wanted a no compromise MK1 and have kept an original working dash, uprated brakes and better suspension components. I've probably changed the handling characteristics putting a big lump up front but from initial cornering the car feels planted but the chassis has a heavier feel.

When the car was MOT'd and the brake balance was tested they weighed the front and rear axle. With 10 litres of fuel in the tank and a 90kg tester it weighed 550kg front axle and 290kg rear axle less the driver 750kg's!

With a full fuel tank it would add more weight to the rear but I was surprised how low the overall weight was 🤪.

I had some BBS RM's ready to go on

IMG_20210325_203611651.jpg

But decided to keep it fairly OEM externally for a sleeper look ;)

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Rich. said

Bergie64 said

The Eurowise tank looks larger. I found mine on ebay as a one off run but in order to run it I would only have an inch of fluid in the tank which is a bit low for my liking.

I guess yes but eurowise parts are soooooo expensive!

Back to the top

Rich. said

paceman said

Looks amazing.

J

Did you sent your ECU to Adlay at ECUTECH!? I think there is no difference with or without the clutch and brake swich🤔.
My engine is an golf 4 generation what about yours?
Let me know if you unlock some power?!

Keep going your work is amazing ❤️

Back to the top

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

paceman said

Looks amazing.

J

Did you sent your ECU to Adlay at ECUTECH!? I think there is no difference with or without the clutch and brake swich🤔.

Well I will find out in a minute :). Yes Toyotec did mine, I have a Mk5 engine. I guess it's down to how the loom was made. Do you know if pin 55 and pin 56 on your large ECU connector have anything there. Mine didn't. In vcds is was showing the brake was on and brake light.
IMG_20210422_134654090.jpg
Screenshot_20210422-134822.png

When I added the wiring I get

IMG_20210423_182536780.jpg

Indicating that the brakes are not on, the brake light is not on and the clutch is not in.

Worth having a look if you have access to vcds. Adlai said that the cruise control and brake system were left as VW / Audi intended so that anyone could add it in the future if they wanted. If the wiring isn't right then the ECU is not seeing what it's expecting.

It's mentioned in the definitive 24v guide on the Corrado forum :thumbs:

Thanks chap looking forward to updates in your post :).

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
OMG what a difference. It definitely needed that wiring change on mine. What a beast 😲🤪😎

Back to the top

Rich. said

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

paceman said

Looks amazing.

J

Well I will find out in a minute :). Yes Toyotec did mine, I have a Mk5 engine. I guess it's down to how the loom was made. Do you know if pin 55 and pin 56 on your large ECU connector have anything there. Mine didn't. In vcds is was showing the brake was on and brake light.

Indicating that the brakes are not on, the brake light is not on and the clutch is not in.

Worth having a look if you have access to vcds. Adlai said that the cruise control and brake system were left as VW / Audi intended so that anyone could add it in the future if they wanted. If the wiring isn't right then the ECU is not seeing what it's expecting.

I need to check on rhe wiring the engine is out of the car at the moment! Do hou use a single 4pin connector for both clutch and brake or 2 connector 2pin one for each pedal?

Back to the top

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

paceman said

Looks amazing.

J

I need to check on rhe wiring the engine is out of the car at the moment! Do hou use a single 4pin connector for both clutch and brake or 2 connector 2pin one for each pedal?

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

paceman said

Looks amazing.

J

Sorry for the late reply. I've just got a 4 pin brake connector off a mk4 or mk5 golf. The default for the clutch is not pressed in so haven't done anything with that just the brake switch.

Back to the top
So a few updates since I last posted.

I was having an issue with the clutch where it didn't feel right when the car was up to running temperature. I discovered it was an issue with the hydraulic clutch system.

I was also fed up with stripping down the dash to add fluid to the clutch fluid reservoir so changed the integral master cylinder back to a remote type and replaced the slave with a brand new one.

IMG_20200501_163707647 (1).jpg IMG_20210429_171441507.jpg

Also went back to a standard shifter weight and mechanism. The gearbox is an o2a corrado vr6 box but it was retro fitted with a 02j shifter tower. The motion is butter smooth now and the H pattern feels natural. The diesel geek setup didn't inspire confidence as it felt like I was forcing gears and the H pattern was non existent.

IMG_20210508_135445372.jpg

Once the roads dry up I should get some footage of it running :wub:

Back to the top
Hi Rich.

Where is the footage of it running ? :)

I need some advice, My fueling isn't really functioning very well. there is no problem when the tank is full and onto lets say 1/2. But for their the fuel disappears from the pump in hard cornering and the engine dies. :(

I suspected this when I mounted the fuel pump in the tank without a swirlpot, but I would like the optimize this now.

Your setup is: One pump in the tank (OEM Right) Feeding a reservoir under the car with a High pressure fuel pump in it, and the to the R32 Fuel filter with a FPR inside, right ?

I'm trying to simplify this, by mounting the pump in the tank still…

What is your thought on mounting the Mk5 R32 complete fuelpump setup (With swirlpot) to the mk1 tank ? Simply weld in some kind og bracket to mount that in the tank ? My concern is if the stock mk5 fuel pump setup is too high to fit in the tank and still fit onto the car without modyfying the body(Want to keep the little stock plate to access the tank unit still.

Otherwise I need to buy what ?

Stock Convertible fuel pump unit
Stock swirlpot
HP fuelpump to fit outside tank

A bounce of hoses i guess :)

Back to the top

Hummel said

Hi Rich.

Where is the footage of it running ? :)I need some advice, My fueling isn't really functioning very well. there is no problem when the tank is full and onto lets say 1/2. But for their the fuel disappears from the pump in hard cornering and the engine dies. :(I suspected this when I mounted the fuel pump in the tank without a swirlpot, but I would like the optimize this now.

Your setup is: One pump in the tank (OEM Right) Feeding a reservoir under the car with a High pressure fuel pump in it, and the to the R32 Fuel filter with a FPR inside, right ?

I'm trying to simplify this, by mounting the pump in the tank still…

What is your thought on mounting the Mk5 R32 complete fuelpump setup (With swirlpot) to the mk1 tank ? Simply weld in some kind og bracket to mount that in the tank ? My concern is if the stock mk5 fuel pump setup is too high to fit in the tank and still fit onto the car without modyfying the body(Want to keep the little stock plate to access the tank unit still.

Otherwise I need to buy what ?

Stock Convertible fuel pump unit
Stock swirlpot
HP fuelpump to fit outside tank

A bounce of hoses i guess :)

Hi Tommy,

Funny you should mention the video, took some footage this weekend but unfortunately the action cam broke and there is no audio :(. I'll sort something out this week :thumbs:.

No problem about the fuel advice.

I have a late cabriolet lift pump to an external swirl pot which accepts a Bosch 040 fuel pump then out to the stock mk5 FPR fuel filter.

To simplify the set-up have a look at this post by Lhasa2008 https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fmk1-golf-gti-2-0-tfsi&start=300#post_1633424

He has integrated the fuel tub like you suggested in to the fuel tank. If I experience any issues with my set-up this is the way I will go.

I hope that helps chap. How did you get on with the handling? All dialled in now?

Back to the top
Looking forward for the footage mate. I'll also try to some one day :)

And it was spot on like Lhasa2008 did I want to do. Didn't know the Mk5 tank was in metal, then i should be straight forward i guess, go to the scrapyard and find one when i'm back from work ;) That would solve my fueling problem i think. Only thing with this i that i would not modify the access hole in the body, but lets see if that is necessary.

My handling is what it is.. I raised the car a bit and re dialed the toe and camber. I dont think I can get more high speed stability out of my setup as it is now. How to get more, i dont know. But for know I live with it.

Also hope to get the car on the dyno next month to adjust and tune the ECU, lets see what that will do ;)

Back to the top
Ok guys, got some footage of it on the road.

I hope you enjoy  ;).

https://youtu.be/dYzIJWYlwwA
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.