Skip navigation

Mellow Yellow 3.2ltr 24v Conversion

Back to the top
Haven't got a great deal done this week with work  but spent an hour in the garage making up brackets this evening to mount the ecu bracket. Fits lovely :)I did forget a space to mount the obd connector but there is a spare tab on the back of the ecu bracket i can bend down and think it will fit between the mounted relays.

IMG_20200507_175609879.jpg IMG_20200507_175613900.jpg

I now have 10 litres of super unleaded and tomorrow I will attempt a test start!

Wish me luck and should have a video of it running…. hopefully :)

Back to the top
Now I've got to do a massive shout out to rubjonny as behind this thread is an equally long private message trail to him. The club is lucky to have such a knowledgeable person as I wouldn't of got this far without him.

The engine start was not an immediate success as I attempted to start yesterday and it was only running on a couple cylinders. I must admit I was very disappointed but did all the normal checks, fuel, spark, compression and everything was fine.

This morning I emailed Vince at Stealth racing and within minutes he was remote connected to my laptop running vag com and on the phone running me through things to check.

After a couple hours we got to the bottom of it and the issue was that 1 wire wasn't locked in to it's connector properly for the engine coolant temperature which upset it greatly. Re sat the connector and instead of the ecu thinking it was -45 degrees c lol it was reading the right temperature.

Then Vince created some diagrams on how to eliminate the SAI and EVAP error codes using relays and resistors as he said the engine won't enable the lambda's until these errors are cleared which should make it run even better.

I can't believe how generous he was to spare me time on a Saturday morning! I can't wait to take my car to him to have it tuned up :)The car is running no coolant or air filter at the mo so only run briefly but in the next week should be able to give you some nice exhaust noise :)

Mk1 Golf Audi A3 3.2 24v Start up - YouTube

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
source.gif

Whip
/wip/
Noun - Car

When the steering wheel was first put into use in automobiles, it was called the whip. The term has now been generalised to classify any automobile.

Back to the top
Boom! well done.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Took my time didn't I  :lol:

Back to the top
AWSOME

WELL DONE :thumbs:

Back to the top
Excellent - bet you are rightly well pleased with yourself after all the effort that has gone into it!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

paceman said

Excellent - bet you are rightly well pleased with yourself after all the effort that has gone into it!

Over the moon but still a little bit more to do to get it finished. The current situation with the world has certainly got me to get my act in gear.

Noticed a few issues with my fuel system. The surge tank is the wrong way round. Just need to flip it. Just makes it trickier to get to fuel connections in it's current location.

Got the new clutch line which I have cut to length and got the ends on just needs a shorter banjo bolt which should come tomorrow.

Back to the top
Well done Rich! I thing you are very happy of it after all the work you put in it.
Keep going.

Back to the top
congrats, big milestone. another step forwards driving it 

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Super build thread, proper home built resto. End result is looking amazing. And who'd have thought a Mk1 Golf could be remotely diagnosed using a laptop!!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the completely finished article.

Back to the top

Bergie64 said

Well done Rich! I thing you are very happy of it after all the work you put in it.
Keep going.

madone_si said

congrats, big milestone. another step forwards driving it

Pistol said

Super build thread, proper home built resto. End result is looking amazing. And who'd have thought a Mk1 Golf could be remotely diagnosed using a laptop!!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing the completely finished article.
Thanks guys :)I've had a few deviations on this journey such as the removal of the rain tray and then reattachment lol

Ecu is off to Toyotec to get the remaining codes removed including VSS and conversion to manual as the engine was from a DSG Audi.

Hoping to get the coolant system plumbed in this weekend plus have an electronic variable heater valve ;)Honestly if anyone wants to attempt this build please don't hesitate to contact me. The most complex side of this build is the loom and ecu but there are plenty of talented people out there. Hummel did both himself! I wasn't brave enough  :lol:I'm just hoping my Milltek classic 2.25" exhaust doesn't choke the engine too much :/

Back to the top
Awesome!

Glad it started ok in the end  :thumbs:

Personally I think it looks better with the 1400 16v in there and I think you should go back to that. Wouldn't take long  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nice work mate

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

borednow said

Awesome!

Glad it started ok in the end  :thumbs:

Personally I think it looks better with the 1400 16v in there and I think you should go back to that. Wouldn't take long  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Nice work mate

Ian

Thanks mate lol

The 1400 was ok, nice noise but slow at 140bhp.

My Golf has now matured in to a cruiser. I'm sure 250bhp will be plenty to scare me if I can get it down.

Turbo in the future maybe ;)

Back to the top
You're insane!!!!!!

The 150 from 1.4 is enough for me. My cahones obviously aren't up to the job!!

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

Rich. said

Im on board on that one! :) I have the same mind set, lets see for how long this can run without a turbo ;) Unfortunately the rules in Denmark are insanely strict regarding car builds, so that would cost me another TÜV approval…

The Loom is not that big of a job, with a nice diagram it was very easy. For me the biggest issue with the engine conversion had to be the maaster clutch and gas pedal arrangement, had to do both over twice :O

Have to say iti again mate, this is an awesome build and the car looks really clean! You're putting alot of pressure on us to have the same build quality, or at least the same cleaness  ;) Keep up the good work!   

Back to the top

borednow said

You're insane!!!!!!

The 150 from 1.4 is enough for me. My cahones obviously aren't up to the job!!

Ian

I'm sure you have 150bhp in each cahona (Is that singular) lol

Back to the top

Hummel said

Rich. said

Im on board on that one! :)I have the same mind set, lets see for how long this can run without a turbo ;)Unfortunately the rules in Denmark are insanely strict regarding car builds, so that would cost me another TÜV approval…

The Loom is not that big of a job, with a nice diagram it was very easy. For me the biggest issue with the engine conversion had to be the maaster clutch and gas pedal arrangement, had to do both over twice :O

Have to say iti again mate, this is an awesome build and the car looks really clean! You're putting alot of pressure on us to have the same build quality, or at least the same cleaness  ;)Keep up the good work!

Thanks Hummel.

Just been told my ecu has been coded and will be sent back. Sweet :)Finish the coolant system today me thinks.

Flipped the fuel system yesterday so the pump was at the lowest point. My bad :lol: IMG_20200515_184000864.jpg
IMG_20200515_183937591.jpg

Back to the top
Hey guys sorry for the delay in content.

Got my ecu back so added a video with a bit of revving in lol

https://youtu.be/t8gYoAndRKs

I have got a new exhaust to replace the Miltek classic. A track slag in 2.5"

IMG_20200523_130012195.jpg

I've got to kick myself, I should've test fitted the SA brake bar with the heater. The heater output for the top hose was bang in the middle of the brake bar.

I created a brass plate which allowed the stock grommet and hoses to work. The back of the plate has edpm rubber stuck down with contact adhesive and 3 retaining bolts.

Much better now:

IMG_20200522_161246753.jpg IMG_20200522_195002531_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Back to the top
Update time :)I made up a bracket to ensure there was no chance of contact with the heater hose:

IMG_20200528_154247566.jpg IMG_20200528_155742625.jpg IMG_20200528_155747962.jpg IMG_20200528_155751026.jpg IMG_20200528_161758933.jpg

Fitted the variable heater valve, it allows the coolant to flow in to the heater matrix in varying levels or being completely redirected to the engine.

IMG_20200529_163502095.jpg IMG_20200529_163511915.jpg IMG_20200529_163522336.jpg IMG_20200529_163608252.jpg IMG_20200529_163627875.jpg

Then trial fitted the air filter housing. It's a good fit and a change to the radiator support bracket i made will have a good place to get cool air but Houston we have a problem.

The air box is sitting too high :lol:. I reckon I can change the first silicone over to a 15 degree bend lowering it quite a bit as I'm going to have bonnet fouling issues otherwise.

IMG_20200531_125959473.jpg
IMG_20200531_130011875_HDR.jpg IMG_20200531_130111214_HDR.jpg IMG_20200531_130128081.jpg   IMG_20200531_130816360_HDR.jpg

Once the fitment has been sorted for the filter housing I need to heat protect wiring, bundle them and protect a few hot spots with all this.

IMG_20200531_130043216.jpg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.