Skip navigation

Mellow Yellow 3.2ltr 24v Conversion

Back to the top
Oh and you will be struggling when you have fresh paint to avoid damaging :lol::'(

Back to the top
Sorry mate, the car is pretty much totally disambled at the moment so pretty hard to shot a pic of altenator placement. however I have this one from earlier. It is a bit close to the front beam, but not in position for touch, even in hard launch (I hope!)

IMG_0408.jpg

Back to the top
I fear the re-assembly because of fresh paint too :O

Back to the top
Got the dipstick in properly, extra lube, bit of force and a wiggle and got it in.

Tommy do you have the part number for this bracket. I've tried to look it up in the vw / audi parts catalogue and it's not listed.

I seem to have misplaced mine  :( 5e5ac774bd466.jpg

Back to the top
Good job Rich :)

I will look at the bracket for a partnumber, but not before  end next week. I'm thinking about ditching it for look, I re-located the knock sensor cable, and i think the fuel line could be more "lighter" supported, so if you cannot get one you can get mine..

Back to the top

Hummel said

Good job Rich :)

I will look at the bracket for a partnumber, but not before  end next week. I'm thinking about ditching it for look, I re-located the knock sensor cable, and i think the fuel line could be more "lighter" supported, so if you cannot get one you can get mine..

Actually you're right. I reckon I could use the threaded holes on the rocker cover to fasten the fuel line in a better way. Re the knock sensor did you re route it round the back of the engine?

Back to the top
Yes re-routed to fit behind engine, and now nee to cut about 30cm of wire of though, and thats if from the other end which I already sorted  O_o

Back to the top

Hummel said

Yes re-routed to fit behind engine, and now nee to cut about 30cm of wire of though, and thats if from the other end which I already sorted  O_o

Ha might copy that idea ;)

Re the sump oil level / temperature sensor did you still have a connector for that on your cabin side of the loom. I'm going to sort that one out this week but can't remember seeing anything for it.

Then have the light loom to thin down. Have an aftermarket uprated light loom to merge in and make it look prettier and the factory harness protection is looking a little tired.

Where did you route that? Through the front cross beam? I did that before but might mount to the reinforcement bar at the front as enough room to fit with quick release cable ties.

Back to the top
I dont use the oil level/temp sensor. I dont know what to hook it up to in the car ?

All my engine harness goes through firewall just under the heater hoses, so everything around the engine is nice and clean.

The main plus to starter goes out in the inner fender though, as the only only one.

the light loom for headlights is out in the inner fenders as well.

Back to the top
I just wondered about the sump connector as I read in the technical overview for the engine that on cold starts the fuel enrichment is governed by the oil temperature from that sensor and if not found uses the coolant temperature instead.

I still have the coolant sensor so all good :)

Back to the top
Yeah, I haven't had any problems without it, If it uses it, you prob. need the dahsboard controller as well to process data…

Oh, bracket Number : 022 133 340 F if you need it.

Back to the top

Hummel said

Yeah, I haven't had any problems without it, If it uses it, you prob. need the dahsboard controller as well to process data…

Oh, bracket Number : 022 133 340 F if you need it.

Thank you :)

By the way are you going stock air box or aftermarket. The stock one looks like it will fit fine but quite large.

Also where have you decided to mount your battery. I have an odyssey pc680 which I guess can be squeezed in pretty much anywhere with its tiny footprint. I think I read another club member mounted it under the dash.

Haven't really done much this week or weekend. We've just had a loft conversion and needed to prep the newly plastered walls before the second fix stuff can be done. 40 litres of paint later and I'm knackered!

Back to the top
I have a quite large battery (for now) and decided to fit in in the trunk, so no spare tire for me, but it helped with weight distribution.

Air filter (for now) is going to be an open KN filter and a alloy pipe. Dreaming of a FORCE induction kit, but thats is on the "nice to have" list :)

Back to the top

Hummel said

I have a quite large battery (for now) and decided to fit in in the trunk, so no spare tire for me, but it helped with weight distribution.

Air filter (for now) is going to be an open KN filter and a alloy pipe. Dreaming of a FORCE induction kit, but thats is on the "nice to have" list :)
A forge induction would be awesome ;)I managed to get the brake bar on, servo and front brake lines.

Cut a hole for the wiring loom, mounted the oil cooler, stripped the d loom and c loom down to the bare essentials and mounted the steering column.

Will get some photos up tomorrow :)

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
Pics as promised. Made up some reinforcement plates for the brake bar this morning. So nice to be able to disassemble it into 3 pieces so easily. Made up the front brake lines roughly yesterday and will add the clips and fine tune it when the servo is in place permanently.

IMG_20200315_102708076.jpg IMG_20200315_104845072.jpg IMG_20200315_110026161.jpg IMG_20200315_110041138_HDR.jpg

I've got a large bulkhead fitting with a raychem heatshrink end to seal the wires. I have been thinning the mk1 looms down to the necessary wires. Got an uprated headlight loom as well. Just figuring what needs to go in the cabin. Bought power cable to extend to the boot and a fused distribution block for the alternator, fuse box and starter up front.

IMG_20200313_161425996.jpg IMG_20200313_161433576.jpg IMG_20200315_111031189.jpg IMG_20200315_111043803.jpg IMG_20200315_111227015.jpg IMG_20200315_111405217.jpg

Finally got the steering column back on :) IMG_20200315_110233164.jpg

Back to the top
Looking good as always..

Is that a tube for the wiring through the firewall ? looking  quite strong, where did you get that from ? And is it like a rubber ending on it for a good seal to the wire side?

Back to the top

Hummel said

Looking good as always..

Is that a tube for the wiring through the firewall ? looking  quite strong, where did you get that from ? And is it like a rubber ending on it for a good seal to the wire side?

Yes it's for my wiring. Can just fit the large ECU connector through. Its designed for industrial application. You can get all kind of sizes.

TE Connectivity CES-4 https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heat-shrink-cold-shrink-sleeves/7822425/

The end is heat shrink so once all your wires go in you can heat it up and it shrinks down :)

Back to the top
 Sorted me out some induction 

IMG_20200318_170120613.jpg
IMG_20200318_170151513.jpg
IMG_20200318_170253307.jpg

IMG_20200318_170322622.jpg IMG_20200318_170257602.jpg
IMG_20200318_170332056.jpg
IMG_20200318_170441647.jpg  

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top

Rich. said

I think I must be mental, I had a perfectly good G60 conversion but after seeing some R32 Mk1 Golf's decided I needed another challenge :DToday arrived a 73k 3.2litre 24v V6 from an Audi A3. It's essentially identical to the BUB R32 engine producing 250bhp and 236 lbft torque.

gallery_23668_521_495067.jpg gallery_23668_521_692927.jpg

To make the conversion easier I've ordered a mount kit from eurowise. They have a new kit which is specifically for the 24v V6 engines that's not in their store which mounts better than the VR6 version. I also ordered the R32 stainless downpipe for the Mk1 which is also not listed.

Now I must admit there is very little information on this conversion and everybody I've contacted has failed to respond.

The wiring seems a problem as I want to keep stock clocks, I've already been in contact with rubjonny :DIf anyone can provide any information on the conversion or knows anyone that had done it please let me know :)
 Hi Rich, I was looking for a loom for my VDOs the other day and came across these guys on eBay. Link below, may be of help.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142935688598

Black 1984 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.

Back to the top
@DaBullCam bit confused chap you linked to the first page and now we are 22 pages on. I sorted out wiring some time ago :lol:
There are too many online users to list.