Skip navigation

Mellow Yellow 3.2ltr 24v Conversion

Back to the top
Heater hole is all buttoned up :)This weekend I will attack the rain tray

IMG_20191003_174423807.jpg

Back to the top
This morning I decided to take the engine out to finish off the body work. So much easier to work on and not too much of a chore to remove.

Cut the hole for the heater matrix and brake pedal bar.

IMG_20191012_123423430.jpg IMG_20191012_123446009.jpg IMG_20191012_123514059.jpg

Also welded up some holes that were for various components when I had my G60 conversion.

Going to dress the edges and get it trial fitted this week. Managed to find a wiper bracket to weld back on as well so should be back to normal.

IMG_20191010_175227570.jpg IMG_20191010_175234982.jpg

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
Now I tried to align the bracket which reinforces the back of the servo bracket.

I want to drill the 3 hole through the bulkhead where the studs on the servo poke through to the reinforcement bracket on the rear.

I can see where I had welded the holes up but when I place the bracket the fitment isn't great.

Is there something between the bracket and the bulkhead I'm missing.

This is a picture of the part I'm referring to:

Capture.png

Back to the top
This is what I mean, is this normal? I think when I removed it originally it was under tension.
IMG_20191012_145347282.jpg IMG_20191012_145416371.jpg IMG_20191012_145423929.jpg

Back to the top
Looking good mate, as always…  :thumbs:

Question, how do you remove the drivetrain? Complete? Engine, trans, starter, exhaust, manifold? up and out or down and out ?

I fear the struggle when the car is newly painted and everything is perfect  :o

Back to the top

Hummel said

Looking good mate, as always…  :thumbs:Question, how do you remove the drivetrain? Complete? Engine, trans, starter, exhaust, manifold? up and out or down and out ?

I fear the struggle when the car is newly painted and everything is perfect  :o
Thank you :)Definitely lower the car over the engine if you can get the car high enough and lift the engine up in to the mounts.

I lifted the engine out but the crank pulley and back of the box are really tricky to manoeuvre but with a load leveller it's possible not too knock anything but won't risk it when I finish the paint for the final time  :lol:Oh and lots of thick blankets to protect everything :thumbs:How are you getting on with your build?

Back to the top
Is it possible to lower the car down onto the engine complete with manifolds ?? I also lifted the engine in the car the first (and only) time I did it and I'm glad it wasn't painted  O_o

the project is not moving anywhere, I struggle a bit with ride height, wheel alignment. And I installed a mk2 cluster.

Other than that It seems like the weather is to bad for anymore testing, so I will begin on disassembling the car for paint  :thumbs:  

Back to the top

Hummel said

Is it possible to lower the car down onto the engine complete with manifolds ?? I also lifted the engine in the car the first (and only) time I did it and I'm glad it wasn't painted  O_o

the project is not moving anywhere, I struggle a bit with ride height, wheel alignment. And I installed a mk2 cluster.

Other than that It seems like the weather is to bad for anymore testing, so I will begin on disassembling the car for paint  :thumbs:  

Yes it will go up in to the car with the exhaust manifolds on :) I don't think you could do it with the intake manifold on though.

Oh get some pics of the mk2 cluster. How come you went that route?

Back to the top
Ah, it was actually the intake I was worried about. I think my engine is a bit further ahead than yours, I struggle to get the intake on with scrathing the front of the car  :( I need to make that fit perfect before paint.

Yeah I still suck at the picture thing, sorry. But it really went well, it fits like stock and with the tacho It is really nice, also got a temp gauge now  :P

I decided to lose the idea of a pre-facelift complete swap, I got everything needed, but then I change my mind, maybe to much work, maybe just me being lazy, but I chicken out when I should cut a weld the brackets, also the fresh air intake needed modification, and last, the shelf under the dash wouldn't fit…

I will update my project thread wit the pictures I have of other stuff  ;)

Back to the top
Got the rain tray seam welded in place. It took a while as had to get another gas cylinder for the welder. I have the wiper motor mount to weld back in place and then the brake pedal reinforcement bracket to weld back between the bulkhead and suspension tower.

Then on to the body work again, hopefully last time :lol:.

Can I get some advice from anyone that has done a respray of the rain tray. How do I go about painting the VIN area, I'm concerned it will lose definition if sprayed.

IMG_20191025_161257803.jpg IMG_20191026_141634419.jpg IMG_20191026_141756949.jpg

Back to the top
Also fitted the rear disc brake kit but unfortunately VW Heritage supplied me with the wrong carrier to stub axle bolts so have managed to source them and will get pics up when I get the calipers fitted.

At least the drums are off and new disc and wheel bearings fitted.

Also received a Bosch 040 pump, I went for that instead of the 044 as it has an integrated strainer. Seriously larger than the mk1 Golf Bosch pump (see side by side photo).

Apparently the 040 is capable of 500bhp rather than the 044 which is rated at 750bhp so more than double what i need  :)

IMG_20191027_161244704.jpg IMG_20191027_161247992.jpg IMG_20191027_161721962.jpg

Back to the top
Got the wiper bracket aligned and welded in place this morning. Next I need to start the body work. Going to finish the rain tray area first then move on to the bulk head and wings.

IMG_20191102_130758821.jpg IMG_20191102_133806248_HDR.jpg IMG_20191102_140025566.jpg IMG_20191102_140032060.jpg

Back to the top
Coming along nicely Mr rich . Always drop in to have a peek :thumbs:

Back to the top

FXTURE said

Coming along nicely Mr rich . Always drop in to have a peek :thumbs:

Thank you sir, getting there now. Can't let this drag on any longer  :lol:

Back to the top
This morning had a quick clear up and put my engine on a dolly to make it easier to move around and position under the car when it goes back in.
IMG_20191109_170719135.jpg

Finally got round to welding the brake pedal reinforcement bracket to the chassis leg

IMG_20191109_134507701.jpg

And then the massive ball ache getting the South African brake bar to fit!!! Trying to mark the position of the holes up in to the rain tray was a mission but managed to get everything square and secured.

IMG_20191109_134458224.jpg

Next make it look pretty :thumbs:

Back to the top

Mellow Yellow 24v Conversion

Looking good. Does that mean I’d be a fool to try and fit my SA brake bar without removing the engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top

Mike 16vG60 said

Looking good. Does that mean I’d be a fool to try and fit my SA brake bar without removing the engine?

Hi Mike,

If you can remove the stock bar with the engine in situe then you should be OK.

If you haven't already check the position of the holes on the bulkhead to ensure they line up whilst the bar is pushed up against the rain tray.

You can convert a spare bolt in to a tool with a point like this to mark the position of the holes to drill in to the rain tray.

Credit to abfmk1

external_url_proxy.jpg

Back to the top

Mellow Yellow 24v Conversion

Rich. said

Mike 16vG60 said

Hi Mike,

If you can remove the stock bar with the engine in situe then you should be OK.

If you haven't already check the position of the holes on the bulkhead to ensure they line up whilst the bar is pushed up against the rain tray.

You can convert a spare bolt in to a tool with a point like this to mark the position of the holes to drill in to the rain tray.

Credit to abfmk1

external_url_proxy.jpg

Perfect - thanks! I just found abfmk1 ’s post on this back in the group buy thread. I’ll make myself one of those threaded points. Should be able to do it with engine in situ, fingers crossed.

Mk 1 Helios Campaign, 2.0 16v G60

Build thread here

Back to the top
Hey Rich, this is looking brilliant! Get an update up.. lets see this steering column boot ;) ha

btw.. which coolant expansion bottle are you running on this?

Back to the top
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the steering column boot. Will add a nice functional finish rather than me wrapping it with heat reflective fibreglass.  :thumbs: Steering boot (Large).jpg

I found someone on ebay that made a one off batch of R32 expansion tanks similar to the 12v version Eurowise and other companies produce. Was really lucky to find it  :cool:.
5d2256078c50e.jpg

Going to get some updates up later on.  :thumbs:
There are too many online users to list.