Skip navigation

Mellow Yellow 3.2ltr 24v Conversion

Back to the top

Daytona said

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

Bergie64 said

Hello Rich just read all the 18 page of your post!
What a job I love it!I have question for you.I'm making a 3.2 swap into my scirocco MK1 and was asking myself about the length of the transmission axle, can you give me the size of the 2 axle you bought on eurowise?

Thank you so much
Thanks for the kind comment.

I must admit I'm not entirely sure how you effectively measure a drive shaft. Mine are designed for the 02a Corrado VR6 gearbox. I have measured them in a compressed state and have included pictures for reference. Take this with a pinch of salt though.

780mm for longest shaft and 460mm for shortest. I would reach out to the guys at retrofication as they make custom driveshafts for the conversion and may answer the question.

IMG_20191228_131720625.jpg IMG_20191228_131621676.jpg
Thank you you are so quick to answer!
Your measure are good!
I use a BHE engine from a audi TT I bought in UK and a Corrado Vr6 gearbox code CHN!
I'm using epytec engine mount but they have drive shaft pretty expensive so I Tru to find a solution….
Nice work you did can't wait to see the end.
IMG_20191228_161310_resized_20191229_104041185.jpg

I suggest you contact Dave Mac propshafts in Coventry, https://www.google.com/url?q=https://davemacprops.co.uk/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiSpoSCifzmAhVwQ0EAHSaTAWQQFjALegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw23GA6bKwq81Vrn0Hskecdw Dave is class leading in shafts and you will deffinately get custom shafts of the best quality.
Marcus.

Thanks man for the address but already find the shaft, need to order it now.

Back to the top

Rich. said

Got the suspension and wheels back on tonight and looks like i just need to lift the car a little bit more to slide the engine under on Saturday.

Going to give it a clean up tomorrow ;) IMG_20200116_175508564.jpg

So nice work man! definitely love it.
What are you using as wiring?and for the cluster?
Cheers

Back to the top

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

Got the suspension and wheels back on tonight and looks like i just need to lift the car a little bit more to slide the engine under on Saturday.

Cheers

Cheers  :thumbs:

Wiring loom has been converted by Eurowise and I'll use the stock cluster.

Back to the top

Rich. said

Bergie64 said

Rich. said

Cheers

Cheers  :thumbs:

Wiring loom has been converted by Eurowise and I'll use the stock cluster.

OK, can I have some details about the wiring and the stock cluster in private?

Back to the top
Got the steering rack back on tonight and cleaned up the engine, assembled the mounts and added a reverse sensor. Got all the remaining mounts and bolts ready for tomorrow ;) IMG_20200117_174541846.jpg IMG_20200117_174557548.jpg IMG_20200117_174615704_HDR.jpg

Back to the top
Engine is back in :)Got the reinforcement bar in as well.

No damage to the new paint until….

I went to pull the engine crane away and one of the hoist hooks fell and dinged the chassis leg :oI should be able to spot repair it quite easily. Cellulose paint is quite forgiving like that fortunately.

IMG_20200118_124845272.jpg IMG_20200118_124849277.jpg IMG_20200118_144549293_HDR.jpg IMG_20200118_144606395_HDR.jpg IMG_20200118_144633929_HDR.jpg

Back to the top
Corrected the paint damage this morning :) IMG_20200119_112923854.jpg IMG_20200119_113053187.jpg

Back to the top
Paint repair looks good as new! Fustrating way to chip it it I bet!!

Your ramps / jacks look pretty cool, what make are they?

Back to the top

G-Dog said

Paint repair looks good as new! Fustrating way to chip it it I bet!!

Your ramps / jacks look pretty cool, what make are they?

Thanks  :thumbs:

The ramps i got off ebay and made in the UK. I think they are a clone of the CJ Auto version.

Back to the top
Slowly reassembling the engine now, should have a big update this weekend.

Dug out the inlet manifold I had carefully stored away ready to fit at the weekend and this is what I found :o IMG_20200119_111708192_HDR.jpg IMG_20200119_111717326.jpg IMG_20200119_111724908.jpg IMG_20200126_163341824.jpg IMG_20200126_163349529.jpg

I'm guessing the clear was put on too thick and perhaps not enough time between coats letting the clear dry for the solvents to escape.

Anyhow I've slowly sanded all the clear off, just need to give it a final go over with 600 grit wet and dry and then it will be ready for a fresh coat! A different colour this time :thumbs: 

Back to the top
😳😳😳😳😳😳 my god this thread is brilliant!!  Keep the updates coming I'm following this one now!!

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

😳😳😳😳😳😳 my god this thread is brilliant!!  Keep the updates coming I'm following this one now!!

Thanks chap, wasn't sure anyone was looking anymore except for the regulars as the post views haven't gone up since the website was down over Christmas. Is there a problem lhasadreams ?

Looking forward to some pics on your thread :)

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top

Rich. said

Spudfingers said

Thanks chap, wasn't sure anyone was looking anymore except for the regulars as the post views haven't gone up since the website was down over Christmas. Is there a problem lhasadreams ?

Cheers

Rich

I'am looking Rich can't wait to see what's going on.
Your work is a lot of inspiration for other people!

cheers

Back to the top

Rich. said

Spudfingers said

Cheers

Rich

You are right, hadn't noticed. Looking into it now.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Don't worry we are watching this thread, it's going to be a mint car when finished and hats off to you for all the work you have put in to this project and thread.

Keep the updates coming.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
keep the great work going, I love this build and your updates. Mine thread is the same, but I just update it to share the knowledge and progress.

keep pics coming

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top

lhasadreams said

Rich. said

Spudfingers said

Looking forward to some pics on your thread :)Cheers

Rich
You are right, hadn't noticed. Looking into it now.
:thumbs:

Back to the top
Thanks guys for all the kind comments, I'll keep the updates coming :)

Back to the top
Defo lots of viewer and  alot of lurkers too I bet! - Keep it come, such a cool project!

Back to the top

Rich. said

Thanks guys for all the kind comments, I'll keep the updates coming :)

Keep going buddy 👍

There are too many online users to list.