Skip navigation

Massbads GX - Up for sale again £2100

Back to the top
Right the parts list is in away to Funk before my hols and other bits form suppliers.

Filler neck
Filler neck gasket
Filler neck countersunk screws
Filler neck textured surround
Filler neck locating ring
Neck to tank pipe
All flexi fuel lines
Fuel pump
Swirl pot
Fuel filters
Bonnet prop clip
Aerial
Clear front indicators and silver orange bulbs
Front indicator housings
Clear/red rear lights and silver orange bulbs
Rubber seal for carb seating
Gearbox timing plug and cover
Pics of second hand front bumper

I was considering getting new black rear arch half spats, new black bumpers and then along with the original lights that will be removed, keep the originals for returning to stock if required ??

Got to say a big thanks to Ginner, Rich, Funk, Hugh,Chris and everyone else for all the advice and help so far  :ocf_emoticons__eusa_clap:

Back to the top
Looks like Funkstar is getting a large order :)

Banner

Back to the top

Massbad69 said

Right the parts list is in away to Funk before my hols and other bits form suppliers.

Filler neck
Filler neck gasket
Neck to tank pipe
All flexi fuel lines
Fuel pump
Swirl pot
Fuel filters
Bonnet prop clip
Aerial
Front indicator housings

I was considering getting new black rear arch half spats, new black bumpers and then along with the original lights that will be removed, keep the originals for returning to stock if required ??

Got to say a big thanks to Ginner, Rich, Funk, Hugh,Chris and everyone else for all the advice and help so far  :ocf_emoticons__eusa_clap:

I put a black bumper on the back of my GX (the front is still on the to-do list) and it looks miles better. I used a black one simply because the grey ones with chrome trims are obsolete and no one seems to reproduce them. But I have to say it looks a lot cleaner and smarter as a result.

I had new arch spats on mine about 5 years ago. Last year I had to replace the wheel arches for the second time in 5 years, and these were partly to blame. In my opinion (other opinions are available) you're better off without them altogether.

What do you mean by "rubber seal for carb seating" btw? The old pierburg 1b3 carb sat atop a bakelite block, not the rubber flange of the later 2E2, and if you're on a weber carb in any case, this doesn't use either, because it's a taller carb and sits too high on one of these, so much so that the airbox can't bolt down to the bracket on the rocker cover anymore. There should just be a thin card gasket between the weber carb and the inlet manifold. This is how the instructions in the weber conversion kit suggest it should be done.

Back to the top
Sounds like you're keeping it then?  :lol:

I love your garage btw, it's better decorated than my front room. Admittedly my front room has more wheels in it that your garage  O_o  :lol:  I thought I had a collection of detailing stuff but yours is even bigger  :cool:

I had an old Derby that had the same problem with not running and stalling. I had to park it on a hill facing up or otherwise the rust in the tank settled into the system and it wouldn't start. Old cars eh?!  :thumbs:

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top

campwitte said

Massbad69 said

Filler neck
Filler neck gasket
Neck to tank pipe
All flexi fuel lines
Fuel pump
Swirl pot
Fuel filters
Bonnet prop clip
Aerial
Front indicator housings

I put a black bumper on the back of my GX (the front is still on the to-do list) and it looks miles better. I used a black one simply because the grey ones with chrome trims are obsolete and no one seems to reproduce them. But I have to say it looks a lot cleaner and smarter as a result.

I had new arch spats on mine about 5 years ago. Last year I had to replace the wheel arches for the second time in 5 years, and these were partly to blame. In my opinion (other opinions are available) you're better off without them altogether.

What do you mean by "rubber seal for carb seating" btw? The old pierburg 1b3 carb sat atop a bakelite block, not the rubber flange of the later 2E2, and if you're on a weber carb in any case, this doesn't use either, because it's a taller carb and sits too high on one of these, so much so that the airbox can't bolt down to the bracket on the rocker cover anymore. There should just be a thin card gasket between the weber carb and the inlet manifold. This is how the instructions in the weber conversion kit suggest it should be done.

Ok I'm wrong with the seating :-)

Back to the top
Just bought new black arch spats with all fixings for the rear arches. I'm going to get black bumpers and when the car goes in for the paint then I think I will get the top of the bumpers colour coded.

I've seen lots of chrome stuff in German ebay as there will be a chrome theme running but not buying until the car drives :-)

GSF will get an order for a service kit and timing belt kit when I get home for once its running it can goto the garage for a service.

Hopefully I will get the fuel system parts for next weekend so that I can make a start. 

Last edit: by Massbad69

Back to the top
I will buy a new indicator relay when I get back as they flash too fast and I'm watching new chrome hubcaps in Germany.

Also the original window winders which have a small chrome circle are broken so I have replaced them with normal black ones but I have seen half chrome half black ones from Germany.

I will trial fit my black Sebrings to see if I like them once the filler neck is done.

Back to the top
This Funkstars as some nos chrome caps mate worth asking him 

Banner

Back to the top
Shame not to keep this original IMO, with grey/chrome bumpers and lights.

GSF timing belt kits are pants. You want VW tensioner/short stud and belt for probably the most critical part of the car.

Banner

Back to the top

dubboy said

GSF timing belt kits are pants. You want VW tensioner/short stud and belt for probably the most critical part of the car.
Cheers for the timing belt info.

If I ever change small things, I always keep the originals to either change with or keep for the next owner.

If I could find 2 mint original bumpers then I wouldn't change them but they aren't easy to get.

So get new black ones just now and keep looking for chrome ones until I get some.

The same goes for the original wheels, I will put alloys on just now and then refurb the 13's and get new chrome caps and tyres when I can afford it for when I want the car to sit original for car shows.

My Sportline had clear lights and a few wee tweaks but I have all the originals in a box in the loft.

Back to the top

jellybelly said

This Funkstars as some nos chrome caps mate worth asking him 

Funk is getting pics for me of second hand chrome bumpers that he has.

Cheers

Back to the top
That's it Chris "put it away for a while and don't worry about it he he"  ;)

At least funk can buy that bigger house he has been looking at now, I heard he told his mortgage advisor its all fine, there is this guy called Massbad69 on the forum ….. he he

Only kidding mate, list and plans look good, I think new arch spats and bumpers are a good idea why you hunt around for an original one, but original is def the way to go with this, its a nice tim warp piece

Have a great holiday

Rich

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Slowly does it Rich……NOT :-)

Original but tweaked is my motto with all changes easily returned to standard.

eBay is already been busy and young Funk will be getting a few orders I presume :-)

Back to the top

dubboy said

Do you mean you can still buy a timing belt & tensioner from vw.
ta
baz

Back to the top
Looking good Chris. If you need a punt with the fuel system then it shouldn't be a problem. It's a mechanical fuel pump on that engine and it shouldn't be duff at that mileage. Also the swirl pot should be okay too. Just take it off and give it the once over.
As far as the weber carb, Jeni's crabby has the 32/34 dtml conversion fitted and it sits on the rubber gasket.

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top
the gsf belts are fine,as are the tensioners,the belts are dayco,the tensioner is INA the best,
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
Cheers Bert

Greig I haven't a clue on fuel systems funnily enough.

For the cost of the pump I will replace it but if u fancy giving me a hand then your more than welcome as it would be nice being able to actually drive the car.

Chris

Back to the top
Remember its me your dealing with.

So just back my hols and tried to get the car to idle, once started it sits at idle nicely but then just all of a sudden stutters like crazy and dies.

I've changed the fuel filter to a new clear one and the filter is still clean and sits about half full if petrol. There are bubbles at times getting drawn through the filter from the tank end.

Any help is good help :-)

Back to the top
Well I need to replace the full fuel system IMO so Funk is getting my list together of all parts and all service parts incl timing belt.

Still getting black bumpers when Gunk gets them in stock.

The nice bits are on hold for a while until the car runs.

I don't think I will get it on the road this year but who knows ??

There's wee bits of rust here and there thick will need addressed after the year once it's running.

Put the black Sebrings on just now to see how they look, if they stay in or the RA's the suspension will need dropped -40mm.

They are only on just now to get the steelers off for future refurb.

Checked the underside and possible new sump gasket needed ? I removed the front mudflaps and cleaned some of the dirt from inside the arches.

Checked the accelerator grommet and it was totally gone and out.

Removed the pedal rubbers and put my spares on along with the grommet tomorrow hopefully.

Need to try a new indicator relay as well as they are way too fast ??

Back to the top
Nice original plates!

Yep, needs to be lower if sticking with the Sebrings ;)

All steps in the right direction Chris, keep at it  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.