Skip navigation

Massbad69's Sportline - Back again

Back to the top
oh cool where you get the new catches from?

Back to the top

matcupra said

oh cool where you get the new catches from?

Watch with the latch, that was my 3rd one as pre 1984 the spring was on the left and j bolt on the right and then they reversed it on the mk2's and post 1984 cabbys ( I think I am right ).

So got the bonnet latch from Vw Heritage for about £15 and then got the lower catch from Chubnut on ebay for around a tenner.

Drilled out the rivets but even though I bought new rivets I then found stainless bolts on ebay which was easier to do.

It just looks cleaner now and was pretty cheap to do  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
so how do you order through vw heritage? did you ring them?

Back to the top

matcupra said

so how do you order through vw heritage? did you ring them?

Go online at their link at the bottom left of this page and then set up an account which takes a couple of mins with the usual details and bank card etc and then you will get your user name and password emailed to you and then order.

Just double check that the bonnet latch on their website is the right 1 for your car, if in doubt phone them and they will order 1 in as they did for me from Germany, it took about 4 weeks to come.

I will go and check thier web site for you now

Back to the top

Back to the top
oh cool cheers chris I'll order one! thanks!
and I did what you said got soo pi**ed off in the end got someone coming to fit my rear anti roll bar!
liking the new wheels by the way!

Back to the top

matcupra said

oh cool cheers chris I'll order one! thanks!
and I did what you said got soo pi**ed off in the end got someone coming to fit my rear anti roll bar!
liking the new wheels by the way!

Cheers they will be a change for the winter and then put the blacks back on in the spring and good spares to have as well !!

Back to the top
yeah I have two sets runs my refurbed sportline's in the winter and bbs splits in summer, definitely good to have two sets!

Back to the top

matcupra said

yeah I have two sets runs my refurbed sportline's in the winter and bbs splits in summer, definitely good to have two sets!

When I bought my car it had the same splits on it as you but the guy wanted a good few quid for them, cant remember exactly how much.

When I look back now though I wish I had taken them as well as the ra's but I just never knew enough a year ago as I was a mk1 newbie but also my car was my 40th bday present from my missus and I think the £3k that I paid for the car was far more than she had thought in the first place never mind another £1k for the splits  :|

Saw a set for sale for £1400 on the forum recently buy lots of other things to do to the car first with that kind of money  :wink:

Back to the top
Sometimes I am just too dumb !!

After fitting the new bonnet catch, I was going for a drive yesterday as the weather was lovely and the catch wouldnt shut the bonnet properly, so took it off and then put the old one back on.

When I got home later I realised that you just tighten the spring with a screwdriver to shorten it - job done in 10 secs  but it took 10 min for a 41 year old brain to work it out  :redfaced:

Also took apart my original brake servo and linkage and cleaned it, it is in great condition once all the grease and crap was removed, so sometime next year I will get it powdercoated and either replace my hand painted one I just got fitted or I will sell it  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Thanks very much to Hugh with his Sportline website for putting a post up about my car

http://www.golfgtisportline.com/index.php/2011/11/chriss-recent-work/

Your a gentleman Hugh  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Just found the photos of my car from the lad who owned it before, I cant believe that I knocked back the wheels  :banghead:  :(, I just never knew enough back then.

I hated the bonnet bra and I could hardly turn the steering wheel as it sat so low

Last edit: by Massbad69

Back to the top
Thanks to everyone who voted for my car to win COTM for November  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
Agree on the bra - and the splits, they look the dogs!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The old wheels look really nice.

Only problem with it that low is the steering is heavy like you said.

Takes the fun out of driving it then.

Plus I think wheels like that only look good when the cars really low

Back to the top
The pics look very nice Chris you should have had those bbs rm.I think if you painted it black it would be so much better.LOL.And well done COTM :mrgreen:

Back to the top

mike_turbo said

The pics look very nice Chris you should have had those bbs rm.I think if you painted it black it would be so much better.LOL.And well done COTM :mrgreen:

I know I should have got the wheels but I wasn't clued up enough at the time, o think he wanted £700 for them but I can't remember!!

No point in painting it black as you are giving me yours when you win the lottery ;-)

Cheers with COTM, make sure yours goes up when it's done!!

Back to the top
Chris if my other half had her say she would give it away as she hates cars.i don't no how we have lasted 12years.As for the bbs rm thats about the right price.i would ask your wife for some for crimbo.

Back to the top

mike_turbo said

Chris if my other half had her say she would give it away as she hates cars.i don't no how we have lasted 12years.As for the bbs rm thats about the right price.i would ask your wife for some for crimbo.

No Crimbo this year  :(  my job I have been on for the last decade finishes at Xmas and my new job, even though its a promotion to Contracts Manager, there will be no overtime or luxury money as I call it  :cry:

My plans for new paint and getting the gearbox rebuilt and fitted will have to wait, never mind the wheels, maybe 1 day  :dontknow:

Back to the top
I have got a spare AUG gearbox which was originally on the Sportline and I am going to get it rebuilt and fitted but how much will it cost roughly fir rebuild and fitting with new clutch and linkage kit ?

I was thinking £1k  :dontknow:

What do you think ??
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.