Skip navigation

Mars Red Tintop @ VAGE 2017

Back to the top
After seeing this car on Sunday again I don't blame you Hugh,this is a superb example attention to detail is breathtaking to say the least , the way prices have gone and seem still to be going it's better than money in the bank . Good catchin up again Hugh  :offtopic:
Jealous much of your new wheels  :wub: ..

91Jreg Sportline (now gone) For now 88 Ereg Mk2 16v (monza blue ) (now its gone too)Numerous mk1 tintops I  should never have sold 😰  Oh and a TDI  Touran as a daily ….latest toy mk5 Gti (showing my age) had to go serious money pit ,now cruising a Caddy Van

Back to the top

RichardHall said

Looks great, I was tempted by some RM's recently but didn't quite think they looked good enough to justify the cost with standard trim. As soon as you ditch the black wheel arches they look fabulous. Only thing left to do in. My opinion is paint the uprights behind the grille black so they don't show through.

You could get a glass bonnet though to show off your perfect engine bay!

BTW love the new look plates.

Thanks Richard I know what you mean on the front uprights - yes the red makes it a bit more visible.

I've now got loads of wheels to sell…!

Its amazing how the new plates refresh the look to the front and the rear - not strictly road legal here so will wing it for a bit.

A glass bonnet now there's a thought.  :$

Cheers Hugh.

www.vwgolf1.com - vw golf parts and genuine accessories!

Banner

Back to the top

golfman16 said

After seeing this car on Sunday again I don't blame you Hugh,this is a superb example attention to detail is breathtaking to say the least , the way prices have gone and seem still to be going it's better than money in the bank . Good catchin up again Hugh  :offtopic:
Jealous much of your new wheels  :wub: ..

Thanks for your kind words golfman - good to catch up on sunday and hear a little on your new project too!  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
A few wheel pics… IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0315.JPG

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Love the new look Hugh

Looks great mate  :thumbs:

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
The new look looks great Hugh. Love the new wheels. Don't forget to turn the centre caps all the same way up when you show it !

Back to the top

richyhill said

Love the new look Hugh

Looks great mate  :thumbs:

Thanks Rich. It had a few admirers at Dubshed at the weekend.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top

watson said

The new look looks great Hugh. Love the new wheels. Don't forget to turn the centre caps all the same way up when you show it !

Thanks Dave… you know me too well…  :$

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Couple of pics I took at the weekend in front of Kilkenny Castle - this is where we hope to depart from for our drive during our mk1 weekend in late August.

IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2215.JPG

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
The chap that trimmed my seats made the mats for me.

They are one off and very good quality.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top

Shughy said

Hugh Shughy ,
Where did you buy the one use clamps from? Sometimes called ear clamps, stepless clamps or O clamps.

I've recently had all my vacuum system apart so using Jubillee style and to be fair, they don't look great.

Last edit: by MrP

1992 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Blue Metallic - Long term project
1991 MK1 Golf GTi Rivage - Classic Green Pearl - Sold

Back to the top
I used this company https://www.hcl-clamping.co.uk/ for all my clips etc. I tried to replicate exactly as from an the original hose clips and a couple of newish engine picture I had.

Found them very good to deal with and cheap enough for small numbers of bits. Also when ordering I got the clips for the inlet manifold boot and metering head.

You need a clip tool to close the ear clamps. Looks well when complete.  :thumbs:

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Some serious detail there.

There rest of us will have Park in the next field to avoid been shown up. 

Great work Hugh.

Back to the top
Ok not updated in a bit but have been busy doing little bits and pieces…

I had a little misfortune with the car while in storage I started it not realising it was in gear so it jumped forwards and hit another van parked in front of it. My heart was in my mouth… luckily no one got injured only my pride. I was gutted. Anyway it shattered the front bumper and dinged the bonnet. Grill managed to escape.

So I have had the bonnet repaired and painted along with a few other bits along the wings, pillars and arches. All in all it looks pretty good.

IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1441.JPG

Looks pretty good. :thumbs: 

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Since I rebuild the engine I was never quiet happy with the look of the splurious rad and fan I got and was always on the look out for the genuine ones. Low and behold I picked up one on facebook from a sub 30k mile car with both in really good condition.

IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1359.JPG IMG_1359.JPG

So stripped it all down and cleaned the rad inside and out - sanded, etch primed and painted the cowl black. Then a coat of lacquer and fit with new rubbers flaps.

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Here are a few pics of the painting process… but forgot to get one of the reassembly! IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1385.JPG IMG_1385.JPG

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
Also updated the injectors and braided hoses as I managed to source an OEM set which were never used and look the biz.

IMG_1494.JPG IMG_1494.JPG IMG_1494.JPG IMG_1494.JPG IMG_1494.JPG

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top
It is amazing the difference the new injector make on the car. It just wants to move…  ;)

I took the car to a show last weekend at Oestuske in Avoca Co Wicklow and it won 'best engine' and a 'top 10' prize at the show.  :$

Here are a few pictures of it from there:

avoca5.jpg avoca5.jpg avoca5.jpg avoca5.jpg avoca5.jpg

Cheers Hugh.

Banner

Back to the top

Mars Red Tintop - 2016 New Look

Looking great Hugh !!
Looking forward to a nose around at the end of July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
looking good Hugh, My bonnet stays firmly shut when your around.
Andy :)
There are too many online users to list.