Skip navigation

Mars red Series 1 Mk1 golf Driver G60

Back to the top

golf1980's 1980 golf driver G60

16vseries1 said

looking phat Rich, new wheels suit it to a tea!

Melteddrummer said

Loving the new wheels mate and so glad your  engine is sorted. 

Thanks guys  :wub: I'm getting excited again! It's been a while but my love for this car is back!! :P :wub:  

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
when we going to see them properly fitted?  :cool:

Back to the top
Good question  :lol:

Edit.

Picking up a set of tyres in the morning so as soon as I sort a decent tyre fitter, I'll get it sorted. Hopefully should have them on next weekend :) 

Then I can at least roll it about and start the rest of the work!!

Last edit: by golf1980

Back to the top
I'm another fan who's just read all 22 pages. I love that this is a drivers car, not a show pony and you've had setbacks which you've (eventually) bounced back from.

I'm on the other side of the world so can't offer any support other than I really hope you find someone who can do the mechanical work who loves MK1s as much as we do.

Cheers

Paul

PS. No way am I going to put a G60 on my 2.0 16v MK1 after reading this.  :lol:

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door for parts.
  • 1998 Seat Cupra + another used as a donor for the MK1
  • 1999 Passat Wagon. Needs street cred but at least it's a manual.

Back to the top
Thanks sports racer :D it's so cool that you have read through it all and I'm really sorry that I've put you off the g60  :lol:

I've just had extremely bad luck. When it is working, it is SOOO good!  :wub: many say it is the perfect engine for a mk1. 

I'll be doing as much mechanical work as I can by myself. I don't trust anyone else. Plus it's time I learned how to do it. I'm quite looking forward to it really :) it'll be worth it in the end.

Back to the top
I bought tyres today. Dunlop sp9000. 195/40/16. I hope they fit under the arches ok!!!

Back to the top
So glad you've got your enthusiasm back. Not wanting to put any pressure on you but do you know how many people would be gutted if you quit?   :( This build of yours has been such a roller coaster of emotions and would have to be one of the best inspirational stories on the forum. How often do you read of real life heroes who get knocked down only to come back stronger than before? OK, I'm getting a bit carried away but everyone who has read your story knows what I mean.

Getting back to your mechanic/support issues. It's strange but here in Australia we very rarely have these problems because we have a much smaller population. When someone stuffs us around it's quickly known. Also, there's only a handful of places that work on old Golfs and have been doing so for many, many years because they are good at what they do and everyone knows it.

If you have any further problems with the supercharger stop rebuilding it. They don’t have a good reputation now that they are so old and it’s probably time to change to a newer, much more reliable model/manufacturer. I've been talking to someone with a G60 Corrado and he replaced his blower with a modern unit and has never looked back. I'm tempted now to put one on my 9a motor.   :P.

Cheers

Paul
PS. The tyres should fit but if they don't there's a MK1 here in Australia that your wheels would suit.   :thumbs:.

Last edit: by sports racer

• 1978 MK1 GL 2 door with 2.0 16v ABF, twin 40's, Recaros, lots of suspension mods. I'll get it back on the road one day.
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door. Was my daily doing over 1000 ks a week until it hit a truck. RIP. Got another one now and loving it!
  • 1991 MK2 GTI 4 door for parts.
  • 1998 Seat Cupra + another used as a donor for the MK1
  • 1999 Passat Wagon. Needs street cred but at least it's a manual.

Back to the top
Haha thanks again Paul :D it's comments like yours that give me a real boost in enthusiasm. Don't worry, I'll never give up on this car. It's my first car and we have been through a lot and if I was to give up, I would have done it a long time ago!! I don often give up on things. If I get frustrated, I put it down and come back to it later with a clear head.

I will stick with the G lader for a while. It isn't so much the charger that's the problem but the people who work on it. I know these chargers do have a bad rep but if serviced and looked after properly, they really are quite good.
  For some reason I feel if you take away the G lader, it isn't a G60 anymore. Some people will disagree but it's just my opinion.

It is a shame that there are dodgy companies over here :( the only upside is I can warn people away from them. It's up to them if they choose to take my advice or not.

So, yesterday I had a bit of a play with the car. New tyres arrived during the week and I got them fitted to the wheels. I went for Dunlop sp9000 195/40/16 tyres in the end. I think they look spot on :D 
Here they are in the Santana on their way to the unit.

Back to the top
They fit quite well I think. This is te rears with no spacers

Back to the top

I love this pic;

Fitting the fronts is a little trickier. Adjusting the top mounts, camber an having a play with various spacers to get them sitting just right. I'll get pics up when they're on properly. Then once it's rolling, it becomes much easier to get the engine sorted. Although it isn't as bad as I first thought, I still want to take it out and fix little bits in the bay and rebuild the engine :) it just getting the time and space is the issue at the moment.

Back to the top
They sit really well Rich !!

With 40 series rubber,16's are becoming the new 15's !!

Makes me think about spacing my rears out a little.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks Ade! :D I always like to have the rears spaced so the offset is 10mm lower than the fronts due to the track width difference between he front and back :) the main advantage for me with 16s is you can lower the car more but still have good ground clearance ;) :D

Back to the top
Hi mate,  out of interest which companies have you had good/bad experiences with in regards to charger rebuilds? I'm just about to get mine done! Lovely car by the way! :thumbs:

Back to the top
Wow… Amazing thread and amazing car!
Full insight into the roller coaster of highs and lows of the ownership of that little beauty in this thread!

Keep at it!!!

Back to the top

MPF85 said

Hi mate,  out of interest which companies have you had good/bad experiences with in regards to charger rebuilds? I'm just about to get mine done! Lovely car by the way! :thumbs:

Ill pm you mate. 

I don't want to slag companies off on a public forum! :thumbs:  

Back to the top

E3 RPL said

Wow… Amazing thread and amazing car!
Full insight into the roller coaster of highs and lows of the ownership of that little beauty in this thread!

Keep at it!!!

Thanks E3 RPL :) I intend to! Hopefully have it ready for the AGM this year :)

Back to the top
New page!! 

My favourite pic to keep it interesting (repost from last page)

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.