Skip navigation

Mars red Series 1 Mk1 golf Driver G60

Back to the top

golf1980's 1980 golf driver G60

Yomp said

Its not really a driver any more with all the mods though.

Put it back to standard driver spec - then it'd be rare:thumbs:

Yeah this is kind of true, in a way… Although modifying it doesn't mean it isn't a driver anymore? Nor a series 1? Just means it doesn't have the original engine. It didn't have the original engine when I bought it but it is still a series one driver. The main thing that makes it unique is te seats. I had them re trimmed using the same material and I took a lot of effort to find it.

I'm slowly gathering the correct trim to make it look original again but really it would need to be a 1272cc to be a true driver. Doubt I'll do that for a few years? Looks like a driver, goes like a g60. 

Last edit: by golf1980

Back to the top
Should be moving the car to my unit soon so work can begin. Really want this car sorted for next years agm at least

Back to the top
I want this car sorting for the AGM too  :thumbs:  good luck rich.

Matt

Back to the top
Good luck Rich!
I think it's a fine example for my 1980 marsred MK1 Golf. I'm starting up building my G60.
'spoke' to you on Insta

Back to the top

pazwaa said

I want this car sorting for the AGM too  :thumbs:  good luck rich.

Matt

Roel. said

Good luck Rich!
I think it's a fine example for my 1980 marsred MK1 Golf. I'm starting up building my G60.
'spoke' to you on Insta

Thanks guys :) I'll try my best. One thing this car has tought me though, be patient. it's best not to rush to meet deadlines :( take time and do a proper job. I'm confident I can get it sorted by then though.

Man I've got so much to do I don't know where to start?!! 

Pics coming soon. I promise! :D

Back to the top
Well this was a good weekend :) I actually did some work on the golf!! :D the first time since April last year!!  :o

On Saturday, Christian from Bstar wheels came to meet me and try his wheels on a mk1 for the first time. I liked them so much that I bought a set off of him :wub:

They're Bstar ra1680s. 16x8 et25 & et35.

It was just a test fit so the wheels don't have tyres on.

I also got a chance to tinker with the broken engine :) we couldn't get it running but we don't think it's as bad as I first thought. I swapped the vernier pulley for the standard one and set it to tdc. It was turning over ok but there is no spark at all :( 

Back to the top
Fingers crossed for the engine, one of my favorite cars this!

Back to the top

Back to the top

Kedge said

Fingers crossed for the engine, one of my favorite cars this!

Thanks Kedge   :$ :wub: :wub:  

Back to the top
always wanted a set of those wheels  :wub:

Back to the top
Love the new wheels, look perfect  :wub:

Matt

Back to the top
I LOVE this entire thread!!! Im very glad you didn't throw the towel in when the engine started causing hassle. The dedication and work that has gone into it is a credit to you. At this stage you deserve that car to be running 100%!
Best of luck!!

Back to the top
Awesome car. Just read through the whole build. Must be nice having access to all that carbon!

Back to the top

browner01 said

always wanted a set of those wheels  :wub:

Get some mate :D they'd look awesome on your car!!

pazwaa said

Love the new wheels, look perfect  :wub:

Matt

Thanks Matt :) I'm really pleased with them. They've inspired me to get the old thing up and running again!!

Back to the top

Chris81GTI said

I LOVE this entire thread!!! Im very glad you didn't throw the towel in when the engine started causing hassle. The dedication and work that has gone into it is a credit to you. At this stage you deserve that car to be running 100%!
Best of luck!!

Thanks Chris  :wub: this car and I have had so many ups and downs together over the years. It'll take more than a broken engine to get me to give up. It'll be better than ever once I've fixed it!!  :P

Back to the top

heartagram said

Awesome car. Just read through the whole build. Must be nice having access to all that carbon!

Wow! Thanks for reading the whole thread!!  :wub: I really appreciate it :) yeah the carbon is definitely a perk of the job. One more big project I think. Then I'll give the carbon a rest. It is easy to over do it!!  :lol:

Back to the top
Come on then - get the head off !! We need to see if there is any damage - she might be running quicker than you think. Get a solid camshaft pulley on her as well, being able to vary it makes little difference and a supercharged engine hates overlap

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
looking phat Rich, new wheels suit it to a tea!

Back to the top
Loving the new wheels mate and so glad your  engine is sorted. 

Back to the top
Edit.   Pics to keep the new page a little more interesting to look at :D

lhasadreams said

Come on then - get the head off !! We need to see if there is any damage - she might be running quicker than you think. Get a solid camshaft pulley on her as well, being able to vary it makes little difference and a supercharged engine hates overlap

We fitted a solid pulley on Saturday and set it to tdc. I can't use the vernier one anyway because the bolts are missing. We looked through the spark plug holes but couldn't see any witness marks on the pistons from the valves or anything so we turned it over my hand and it all seems ok. The tops of the pistons look very black though and there was oil in cylinder 1 which isn't good. Could possibly have been from when the charger oil seal went and it blew oil through the intercooler etc.. The shoddy mechanic that did the damage said he would clean that out when I took it back after the seal went. It wouldn't suprise me if he didn't though.. So yeah it could be on the road in a few weeks possibly but I'm thinking I might take the engine out/apart and sort paint issues in the bay whilst I'm at it? As long as it's ready for the agm, I'll be happy. If not then edition38.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.