Skip navigation

Mars red Series 1 Mk1 golf Driver G60

Back to the top

golf1980's 1980 golf driver G60

So whats the score Rich, did you attempt the fix?

Back to the top
I didn't mate. I've done my neck in somehow and I can hardly move! I think I've sprained it or trapped a nerve or something? so annoying as I just want to sort the car out!

Back to the top

golf1980 said

I didn't mate. I've done my neck in somehow and I can hardly move! I think I've sprained it or trapped a nerve or something? so annoying as I just want to sort the car out!

Ouch mate sounds painful. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Back to the top
Cheers buddy. still feeling painful days later. It'll fix it self in time.

In other news, 1 Chrome cill trim turned up the other day so I'll be putting them on. Also I dropped my new split wheels off today for a bit of Bling treatment. I hope they turn out as shiny as I imagine :D its costing enough so they Bloomin well should! I'll put some pics up soon.

Back to the top
Blingtastic dude. Sounds like they're going to be awesome :)

Back to the top
i hope they will be!

sadly one of the centre caps got damaged :( wasnt too keen on them anyway so ive decided to make some of my own. here is one i knocked out during a break time today.

sorry about the poor pic quality!

started off with a bit of scrap red bull material and cut a rough circle;

then i shaped it, put a little radius around the edge and gave them a quick buff. then i knocked up a template and vapourblasted a design into it;

then i had to chop up the damaged centercap and bond it to the carbon;

then i took it over to the wheel bloke to see how they looked when fitted;

i'm not sure about them to be honest. i think they need to be a tad smaller and i dont think i like the vw badge either.

what do you think?

Back to the top
Would agree on tad smaller but I like them, and the logo ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
They need to be the size of the VW logo mate to fit nicely with the wheel.  Really diggin g the vapor blasting, thats wicked.

I might have to send you some sizes for my Stark wheels if you fancy knocking something up. Obviously in exchange for a beverage come annual gathering.

Back to the top
Nice work mate. I quite like them tbh  :$  :cool:

Back to the top

Sportline-Toby said

They need to be the size of the VW logo mate to fit nicely with the wheel.  Really diggin g the vapor blasting, thats wicked.

I might have to send you some sizes for my Stark wheels if you fancy knocking something up. Obviously in exchange for a beverage come annual gathering.

i have done a few vapor blasted bits so far. send away mate. i owe you. as long as i can make a good template easily, it shouldnt be a problem.

this is the template i made for the centre caps. an old metal keyring that i flattened the back off of and removed the loop bit. then a bit of carbon to make the outer ring of the vw;

smudger1980 said

Nice work mate. I quite like them tbh  :$  :cool:

thanks smudger. they aren't bad but i have re worked one to see how it fits.

so here is my cap next to a standard one. pretty much the same size;

i think it didnt look quite right in the wheel so i ground a couple of mm from round the edge;

in this pic you can see how much of the lip i've ground away and also how i have made it shorter so it sits flush in the wheel;

and here is a pic of how it now sits in the wheel. unfortunately i didnt get one of how flush it sits.

personally, i prefer it and i am almost happy with it. i'm tempted to start again and give it a 1mm bigger radius then chamfer the back of it so it sits really flush.

Back to the top
I've just realised I haven't put any pics up of the bodywork that went on over the winter so here we are;

I just wanted a few little touch ups. It has been over 3 years since the respray and I had to keep it outside as I had no garage. I also used it a lot when it was on the road.

The guys at the bodyshop ended up respraying the whole thing in some ultimate paint. I have forgotten the name of it :( Then they clear coated it, flatted it back and polished the flip out of it.

End result, pic courtesy of www.beakersblog.com again;

I love this pic. Thanks Beaker!

And so there we have it. It is at the mot garage now and I hope to collect it tomorrow to get cracking on the fuel issues unless the garage have done it for me :)

Back to the top
OMG stunning mate!!  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Beautiful dude. Top notch MK1.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

OMG stunning mate!!  :cool:

smudger1980 said

Beautiful dude. Top notch MK1.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

thanks guys :)

as i am still a cripple after doing my neck in the car is still down at the garage but Rob the mechanic has been working on the car over the past few days. i got a new fuel sender and gti fuel tank delivered to him so hopefully should sort the fueling issues.

also, i discovered the wheels are different widths and the fronts are different to the rears. this got me worried as i only tried on wheel to see if they clear the calipers up front. turns out i tried a rear wheel and it cleared them ok. i tried the fronts today and they dont fit!
the wheel polishing guy and i split them down and swapped the front and rear centres. they now clear the calipers but the offset is massively different so im going to have to run spacers on the rears.

here is the difference.  

front;

rear;

as you can see, quite a difference between the two.

here is a sneaky preview of the wheels on the car;

i cant wait til they are polished up and fitted!

Back to the top
This has got to be the best maintained Mk1 I've seen, Fair play to you for looking after it so well! :cool:

Back to the top
Beautiful car. Credit to you mate.  :wub:  :wub:

Back to the top
Very nice mk1, love it on the Porsche rims, ride height, stance looks nice and most important it looks drivable!

And all the carbon bits, you lucky man!

Keep up the excellent work:thumbs:

Back to the top
This car is amazing. The carbon work along with many of the other touches set it out from the crowd. Surely its got to be worthy of a mag feature  :ocf_emoticons__cheer:As for the wheels - what sizes do you actually have then if you originally thought they were a set of 7 x 16.
Could you not have spaced the fronts to get them to clear the brakes and then just spaced the back to match things up?

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

This has got to be the best maintained Mk1 I've seen, Fair play to you for looking after it so well! :cool:

I do like to spoil this car! :wub:  :wub:  I just cant help myself  :lol:

smudger1980 said

Thanks mate. Same goes for yours!

redpetemk1 said

Very nice mk1, love it on the Porsche rims, ride height, stance looks nice and most important it looks drivable!

Thanks  :thumbs:  I am always in two minds about the wintercults. I like the brake clearance and how easy to maintain they are but I kind of want 4x100 again and I'm not sure they are right for the car? You are right though, it certainly is drivable!

MR_LONG said

This car is amazing. The carbon work along with many of the other touches set it out from the crowd. Surely its got to be worthy of a mag feature  :ocf_emoticons__cheer:As for the wheels - what sizes do you actually have then if you originally thought they were a set of 7 x 16.
Could you not have spaced the fronts to get them to clear the brakes and then just spaced the back to match things up?

I dunno about a mag feature mate. There are so many other cars out there that have had more money spent on them than mine. It is just another mk1 g60 really. Thanks though. Really nice of you to say. Saying that, if any mags want to feature it i wont say no!  :lol:

As for the wheels, I think the fronts are 7j and the rears are 7.5j? I didnt really want to space them all out as it would change the offset of them all. I want a bit of tuck so i can go lower  :lol:
They were being stripped down anyway so I thought why not? And I only have to buy 1 pair of spacers instead of 2 :)

Had a great day out at all types on Sunday. I really enjoyed the drive there and back. The weather was amazing, the atmosphere was chilled and all the mk1 owners were really friendly. To top the day off the club won best stand!

I'll ad pics soon.

Back to the top

golf1980 said

Melteddrummer said

smudger1980 said

redpetemk1 said

Thanks  :thumbs:  I am always in two minds about the wintercults. I like the brake clearance and how easy to maintain they are but I kind of want 4x100 again and I'm not sure they are right for the car? You are right though, it certainly is drivable!

MR_LONG said

I dunno about a mag feature mate. There are so many other cars out there that have had more money spent on them than mine. It is just another mk1 g60 really. Thanks though. Really nice of you to say. Saying that, if any mags want to feature it i wont say no!  :lol:

As for the wheels, I think the fronts are 7j and the rears are 7.5j? I didnt really want to space them all out as it would change the offset of them all. I want a bit of tuck so i can go lower  :lol:
They were being stripped down anyway so I thought why not? And I only have to buy 1 pair of spacers instead of 2 :)

Had a great day out at all types on Sunday. I really enjoyed the drive there and back. The weather was amazing, the atmosphere was chilled and all the mk1 owners were really friendly. To top the day off the club won best stand!

I'll ad pics soon.

golf1980 said

Melteddrummer said

smudger1980 said

redpetemk1 said

MR_LONG said

I'll ad pics soon.

2 tintops.
3 cabbies, 1 with G60 power, just for fun.
Volvo T5, just for fun.
3.1Ltr V6 Dutton Leggera, just for fun.
Renault 5 GT Turbo, just a money pit!
Several boring cars, just no fun!
There are too many online users to list.