Skip navigation

Joe90k's Rising Blue 1.8t - BBT K300 IE Rods Custom Interior

Back to the top

Joe90k's Mk1 GTi 20v Turbo

wannabemk1owner said

Probably a really stupid question, but what did you use to grind all the seam sealer from the engine bay and get into all the crevices, my normal grinding obviously wont fit in most places? Also whats the most effective way to remove the rubber sound deadening stuff along the bulkhead where the heater motor is?

Cheers

D.

Not a stupid question at all, took me a while to find a way that works! Honestly though, its a horrible job and I wouldn't fancy doing it again in a hurry… But I used a heat gun to soften it and then a scraper to take it off, it goes runny and spits at you, obviously its stupidly hot too, so I wouldn't advise doing it lying on your back in case it fell on you. The one day I did it with a T-Shirt on I had burns all up my arms lol

Once I had all the sealer off I used a grinder with a wire brush to take the last little bits off. You can use a wire brush in a grinder straight away, but it does clog up.

As for the sound deadening, I did the same, heat gun and scraper.

HTH  :D

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top
Right, so it's been a while! I now live in Cardiff and my Mk1 has been sat in my parents Garage for the past year under a sheet waiting for the summer. It's MoT has just expired and I will be driving it from South East London all the way down to Cardiff as I have a garage of my own to put it in. So with any luck over the next year it will be getting totally finished. First on the agenda is getting the dash and interior sorted and trimmed.

Watch this space!

P.S. If anyone is in Cardiff and knows of any meets or fancies lending me a hand or needs a hand let me know!

Joe

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Good luck Joe getting it finished mate.

Back to the top
Mint.. Cant wait to get peace to read this properly :ninja:

Back to the top
Some quick updates, I will get pics up of the majority of this over the Easter weekend hopefully, the weather has been terrible to say the least which has stopped me.

A few updates from the interior, I have fitted Mk4 Golf GTi Recaros which are in okay condition, but soon I will be getting the whole interior trimmed. Plans are black perforated alacantara and quilted leather with silver stitching, more on that later though. At the moment the door cards are raw ply, there is no headliner, the carpet is in but needs replacing for new, new silver seat belts have been fitted from VW Heritage and the dash and centre console plastics are in and fitted temporarily. I have also fitted Lupo Dials which are all working apart from the Fuel gauge which is backwards and New South Boost, Volt and Oil Pressure Gauges to match the blue backlight of the Lupo Dials.

I got from my parents house in Kent all the way to Cardiff with no issues what so ever, ironically the car I drove up in with the Mrs decided to spew coolant badly about 20 miles from home because of a non-gen water pump but thats another story!

A pic on the services on the M4:

I have loomed the engine bay wiring properly with Tesa Loom tape too so it is much neater, there are lots of little niggles that need ironing out from it being in storage for the winter and from not being finished, but that shouldn't take much, thats the fun of a project anyway! :)I also bought a semi-tailored car cover from Classic Additions to keep the dust off in the garage and prevent any scrapes/scratches. I am really happy with it and the service I received from Dean at CA, ordered at 2:30pm arrived the next morning at 8:30am. The cover too is top quality, it is there super soft stretch item in black. It looks fully fitted and so far I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Oh and one more thing, which is probably the best update! I bought new wheels, should be arriving tomorrow hopefully, so my BBS RZ's are up for grabs and will be going in the Classifieds/on eBay unless someone makes me a good offer on them before that.

:ninja: BBS RM Splits, centres wet sprayed black with gold bolts and brand new lips. Very excited!

Will update with more pics when I get a minute/the weather improves.

Joe

Last edit: by Joe90k

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Very nice indeed Joe. Were these the rims on eBay recently for about £700 odd??

Lovely rims but out of my price range.  :'(

Looking forward to pics of them fitted.

Back to the top
love the work gone into this mate, looks very nice!

those wheels will be the icing on the cake  :thumbs:
get some pics up of them on soon!

'83 formel e

Back to the top
Love the rims, can't beat a set of genuine BBS'.

I have some RM's, cant wait to get them on.

MK1 Golf - 1.3l Driver
MK1 Golf - 1.8 GTI (Build Thread - Here)

Back to the top
Loving your work Joe
Such a nice colour as well.
Looking forward to more pics

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Very nice indeed Joe. Were these the rims on eBay recently for about £700 odd??

Lovely rims but out of my price range.  :'(

Looking forward to pics of them fitted.

Cheers mate, good spot! The very same ones, they were the last set he had. He had refurbed 5 sets. I have had my eye on them since July last year, but was waiting for the right time to buy them. Just need to change the red centres for black and I will be happy.

Thanks for the comments everyone!  :thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
Are you keeping the red centres or selling them on??

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

Are you keeping the red centres or selling them on??

Selling them I think mate, either with my RZ's or on there own. Why do you ask?

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
PM sent  :thumbs:

Back to the top
New RM's built up and on the car, more pics to come!

Last edit: by Joe90k

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
The RM's look awesome Joe on the car. Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh mate.

The RZ's coming along nicely too. Did you get my text?

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

The RM's look awesome Joe on the car. Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh mate.

The RZ's coming along nicely too. Did you get my text?

Cheers dude!  :cool:

I did, I'm useless at texting back, probable better to PM me on here lol

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
:lol: no worries mate. Congrats on the RZ's so far very excited about getting my hands on them.

No rush though mate as discussed :)

Back to the top
Lots of bits for sale in the Classifieds if anyone is interested!  :thumbs:

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI

Back to the top
this looks quality! both sets of bbs look sweet too, can i ask did you refurb them yourself? if so what did you use to strip them down?

Flick r - Flickr: ErosUK's Photostream Insta g r a m - @MK1_TOBY

Back to the top

Joe90k said

love how these look!!  :wub:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.