Skip navigation

Golf mk1 1.1 '80 full restoration project (Loads of pictures!)

Back to the top
TeeTee & borednow
Thank you for the  nice comment!

Back to the top
Hey watson Yes, they are hard to find.
We first bought a replacement strip but never applied it.
After going trough our spare parts we found the original trim piece, cleaned it up and applied new double sided tape.
It's been sitting on the shelf for quite a while since then, untill we applied it recently :)

2002 is fully stripped, motor dissasembled.
Fully ready to weld new panels in, not sure if we'll sandblast the car first

Back to the top
Yesterday we replaced an inner driveshaft boot since one got all torn apart. I guess that's what you get when you use a lower priced/quality part..

In the evening my uncle came by with his GTI.
He let my brother and I drive it around in our neighborhood.
Just amazing to drive around.

Last edit: by D_Martijn

Back to the top
Today we went over a few things like the engine oil, transmission oil, tire pressure… Just making sure everything is set for when we are coming to the AGM.
We'll probably give it a small wash before we leave since there's a lot of dust on it because it's so dry and hot now.

This is a picture I took a while ago when there was a local oldtimer show/drive about in my local town. We went together with my uncle and his Mk1 GTI (pictured above) and a friend MGB GT.

(Not my workshop though, I wish!)

Back to the top
Wow. 👍
This has given me the inspiration I need to focus more on my cabby restoration. Amazing stuff. Well done!
Enjoy the AGM. I'm sure she'll get lots of attention.

Back to the top
Just arrived in Calais, ready to take the train to Falkestone!

See you guys tomorrow evening!

Back to the top
Glad you're on your way! Safe travels  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Hey Hairyarse The little golf did well today! Made a stop in Brighton and had lunch there, we then went of to our B&B where we'll stay for the night. The owners seem to bd VW fans too ;)

Back to the top
Oh great Martijn! I bet they were pleased to have two Golfs keep their camper company for the night  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
In this post I'll talk about our 1160km roadtrip to the Annual General Meeting at the Racecourse in Stratford-upon-Avon.

My brother and I left at 7:30am at home with the little Golf mk1 and picked up our friends along the way with their Golf mk2.
We then drove out to the Eurotunnel in Calais, on the train we met a young guy that was interested in old cars, especially Porsches. We had a nice little talk. :)When arrived in Folkestone, we drove all the way to Brighton, were we ate a sandwich and had a pint of beer.
Around 6-7:00pm we arrived in Asford near Kent. This is were we stayed for the night, great B&B!.

We got dinner in a nice restaurant 10min away.

Also made a little landscape picture a few meters away of our B&B.

Since we already had covered most of our trip, we only had to do 2 hours of driving so we slept in till 9am.

On the road to Stratford, we passed by Broughton castle, turned out it was closed so we could only walk around the castle and it's ditch.
I took the opportunity and took some long exposure shots of the castle which turned out good if I say so myself.

When leaving the castle we went and got most of our groceries in a local shop nearby. We then drove out to the racecourse.

Upon arriving we were greeted by Simon, 36thcrazyfist  , it was awesome meeting you, thanks again for your help!
We then choose a little space on the field and set up our tent, had a little BBQ and walked around to see some of the Golf mk1s and their owners. Great meeting and chatting with all the people. When looking at all of the Golf mk1s we got invited to the Scottish Regionals Macca Craigt campfire, we had a great evening filled with laughter, some new vocabulary and starter fluid 101. ;)

In the morning we had a quick breakfast and shower then went to the drivers brief and had a little snack.

At 13am we lined up at the entry gate waiting to jam the traffic in Stratford ;)Very nice drive out route, great little roads.

In the evening we went and got ourselves a pizza in Stratford and bought some firewood and food/drinks at the local shops.
We invited our neighbors Joe, Amy and Ross (the Ferrari guy) over at our little campfire where we had some great chatting.

Next morning we cleaned the Golf mk1, had some breakfast at the Scottish Regionals campsite (thanks again for the hospitality!)
We then headed back at the Show&Shine field awaiting for the jury to judge our Golf. It was awesome seeing watson and all of you who recognised the Golf from the forum post, thanks for all the great feedback we got!

In the afternoon the raffle got started so we headed to the little field in front of the bar. My brother got lucky and was allowed to choose a price  :thumbs:Suddenly Simon came over and said we had to drive our little Golf to the back of the bar building. Turned out like we got ourselves a trophy  :)

In the evening we got everything packed up and started our journey back to Belgium.

We stayed the night at a small B&B that just started last week, very sweet lady with her husband that ran the place. In the morning we had a full English breakfast.  :thumbs:We then continued our drive home, around 2pm we got to the gate at the Eurotunnel, ready to take the train.

When looking behind me in the train I saw two derp faces :lol:

When driving from France to Belgium, we switched cars, and I took some 'rolling shots' of my brother driving our Golf mk1.

Congrats if you've made it this far, I just scrolled to the top of the page, I think I've never written such a long post before  :$! I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks again to the organisation for the wonderfull show. It was a real pleasure to be a part off it! Hopefully till next year!

(Joachim, Jonas, Jasper, and I, Martijn).

Back to the top
Great to meet you guys !!
Glad you had a good time and hope to see you next year !
Well done on the trophy, the car deserves it :thumbs:Adam.

Martijen agm.jpg

Back to the top
Hi Guys,
It really was a pleasure to see you and have a chat to you all after (like many others) being thoroughly amazed by the enthusiasm and ability in your original build thread  (!) of this so perfect car you brought  over for us all to see at the gathering.
So glad you enjoyed yourselves during the meeting, and after the Meet too!- and the photos are just perfect especially the last one of you all looking so happy.
Good luck with the BMW project, I am sure it will be just as big a restoration as the Golf was and hope you put it all on this Forum -even though its a Mk1 Forum I am sure they will not mind.
Keep happy and enjoy driving the Golf!
Regards,
Marcus. IMG_2773.JPG (The Mandarin orange Driver owner)

Back to the top
brilliant thread and some great pictures of the build and the AGM weekend.

Clearly a deserved trophy for all the hard work put into the car, and excellent result in all aspects.  Well done you guys!  Hope to catch up again next year, or before, just remember Ullapool & beyond!  :thumbs: IMGP1814.JPG IMGP1814.JPG IMGP1814.JPG

The only thing missing in these pics are a Belgium Mk1 Golf!  ;)

Back to the top
Congrats on the car :thumbs: fantastic job…  did meet you guys on Sunday at the AGM in Stratford & a fantastic effort travelling from Belgium. Great to see you. 

Back to the top
A pleasure to meet you guys and see your cars at the AGM. I have been reading your thread since day one, and can only echo everyone else's comments on what a fantastic job you have done on this lovely mk1. A real credit to you guys. Thanks for bringing it to the AGM to show us.

Looking forward to seeing you at next years AGM - maybe you could bring the GTI as well.

Back to the top
Baggie82 , Daytona & Deandubya Yes, was great meeting and talking to you guys! Thanks for the wonderful comments about the car, we do really appreciate the kind words!

Craigt Can't wait to hang out at a campfire some more with you guys, it'll be our turn to teach you some nice Dutch words haha. Would be great to travel all the way to Ullapool (Olie pulle ;) )

Those landscapes look amazing, would be fun to drive and take some pictures over there!

watson It was great meeting you too Dave and seeing your yellow Golf! Thanks for all your help along the way! Thanks for the pictures too

I too look forward seeing all of you again next year and yes, would be fun to take our uncle and his GTI along  :thumbs:  

Back to the top
Just finished reading through your thread, was a motivating read.
I seen your mk1 at the AGM and was impressed but i didn't realise that all of the work was done by yourselves, hats off to you, really good job.

Congrats on your trophy!

Back to the top
Martijn, it was great to meet you all - thank you so much for taking the time to travel so far to join us!

Even your MK2 friends were nice people!  :lol:  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
MikeBott93 Thanks for the comment! :)

Hairyarse It was great to meet you too! It was fully worth every single km/mile ;)

Haha we've mocked him several time to sell the mk2 and buy a mk1 but he won't listen…  :dry:

Back to the top
Small update :)When we rebuilt the engine of our Golf, one of the little plastic tubes broke of off the oil feed pipe.

We couldn't find any for sale so we decided to glue it back on.
It held up pretty good. I've been looking for one all this time and finally found one  :thumbs:Received it not so long ago, just hadn't gotten around to fit it.

New oil feed pipe

Fitted on the head

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.