Skip navigation

Golf mk1 1.1 '80 full restoration project (Loads of pictures!)

Back to the top
Yesterday we replaced the oil and added a new oil and fuel filter since we already drove 1500km.

Our little engine is now fully broken in!  :party:We also got ourselves started on a new project… ;)

Still looking for a place to put this upcoming build log, if anyone has a suggestion, let me know

Last edit: by D_Martijn

Back to the top
Glad you sorted the problem with the clutch pedal.  Are you still looking for a rear parcel shelf end ?

Your new project looks interesting - a long time since I've seen one of those.  Start up a thread in 'Your other cars and projects' section.

Back to the top
Thanks, watson ,feels much better when driving the car.
Yes, still searching for some brown parcel shelf supports 

Looks like I'm making a new thread then :)

Back to the top
Just read this and omg...amazing work. Really like this alot. Well done guys...inspirational.

Back to the top
Thank you, Panth for the nice comment!

Back to the top
Pretty big news,
We finally found some brown parcel shelf supports!! :party:

Back to the top
  Great news Martijn, the last piece of the jigsaw !  Any plans for bringing your mk1 over for the AGM ?

Back to the top
watson Yes indeed! Really happy to fully complete our little golf :)
Not sure yet, I'll have to ask my brother if he is able to go

Back to the top
Yesterday we gave our little Golf a nice bath. Afterwards my brother and I went ahead and machine polished the whole car. We then applied a coating called "Gyeon View"on the glass and a "Nanolex Si3d"  layer on the paint.

Since this coating has to harden several hours, we applied it at our grandma's house :)Car finished, total of 6 hours of washing and rubbing the car :party:

Back to the top
Looking great! What did you do with the front bumper?

Back to the top
Great attention to detail and nice to see a mk1 restored to its original spec. I did a bare shell restore and am in the process of putting sound deadening back into the car after it all had to be removed for the restoration work. What's the road and wind noise like inside your car whilst driving now you have put it all back together. Do ever feel the road and wind noise is overly loud when driving or reaching higher speeds?

Last edit: by mk1newbie

Back to the top
BajaScout Thanks! We removed both front and rear bumpers + trim so we could apply the coating underneath them aswell :)

mk1newbie Thank you, Noise inside is not too bad. Of coarse, you can hear the engine pretty clearly, I don't mind though ;)

Back to the top
Looks like I forgot to post these pictures..
A few shots I took when we make a little tour with a couple of friends.

Golf mk1 by Martijn Demeulemeester, on Flickr

Golf mk1 by Martijn Demeulemeester, on Flickr

Back to the top
Just spent an hour reading this thread, simply awesome. Great attention to detail and great photos.

The finished car is stunning, you should be very proud of yourselves  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
pazwaa Thank you for the nice comment!
It's been a great time restoring and driving this little Golf mk1 :D

Back to the top
Your mk1 is looking stunning - great pics.

Back to the top
Thanks watson ! How is your 1.1?

Yesterday we went ahead and fitted the plastic chrome trim on the boot. Not sure why it took us so long :p

Back to the top

Golf mk1 1.1 '80 full restoration project (Loads of pictures!)

I've just read this all the way through. Very, very impressive work and a lovely car!

Back to the top
Very nice work chaps.

The car looks great!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Nice work Martijn. The stick on chrome trim on the tailgate looks good. I managed to get a new one a few years back, but know they are quite hard to come by nowdays - where did you get yours, and any progress with the 2002 project ?
There are too many online users to list.