Skip navigation

GLS Cabrio 1982 project

Back to the top

Ongoing!

I've had this since 2008, it's been on and off the road (mostly off since 2010) but I've finally got round to getting it MOTd and on the road!

I want to get the paintwork sorted out, mainly the bonnet - Problem is, I've NO CLUE what colour this is. It's been resprayed in the past - a good job done but I don't know if this is a standard VW colour or something completely random.

Anyone recognise it or know if there's a tried and tested way to find out?

Thanks

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

Back to the top

GLS Cabrio 1982 project

Take it to a paint supplier and ask them to colour match it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I wonder if its Regatta Blue metallic? It was a stanard colour in 1982, yours looks a bit more purple but it might be the camera etc.

Back to the top

paul_c said

I wonder if its Regatta Blue metallic? It was a stanard colour in 1982, yours looks a bit more purple but it might be the camera etc.

it is slightly purple, it looks a bit iridescent in bright sun light.

The original colour is still visible inside the car round the doors etc, in the book it says it was Biakal blue but im not convinced. Just googled Regatta blue and that seems a closer match to the original.

This new coat is definitely more purple. I think ill try and find a paint matching service near by, see what they come up with!

bit of a pain!  O_o

Back to the top

GLS Cabrio 1982 project

I've got the GOlf GL cabriolet brochure and I don't see this colour in there

Unless there was a specific GLS brochure!

Colour coded bumpers back then would've been rare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1991 Black Sportline 1.8 GTI Cabby - gone

1983 Papyrus Green 1.5 Auto GL Cabby - gone

1984 Nevada Beige MK2 Golf 1.6CL LHD Auto - gone

1981 Schwartz Black MK1 Golf 1600 GTI - gone

Currently Mk1less!

Back to the top
Its clearly a respray. Which means its going to be difficult/impossible to relate its current colour to things like the available colours at the time, or the paint code sticker.

Best way is probably to obtain a colour picker from a painter/bodyshop and try to match it; or use their machine which can analyse the colour.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.