Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Yes we do have a large club stand at Stanford - we won best club display last year if my memory serves me right!

It's quite a good classic VW show - a lot of aircoold too, so not your typical 'scene' show. You should enjoy it and the setting is beautiful!  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Apart from running the engine a few times, and tinkering with the centre console gauges (yet to be finished), Good Friday was the first full day this year I was really able to work on the car. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

It has taken me some time to finish of the rear seat. Got the sewing machine out over the last few week nights.

I am reasonably happy with it, though don't look too closely at the stitching. I was mortified to see a small area had separated at a seam when fitted to the seat foam. It required a bit of darning / repair, you can just see in the center of the picture.

Finally being attached to the seat back:

and finally into the car, the effect looks good which is what I was after.

Unfortunately the voltmeter supplied with my new gauges was dead as a dodo, hopefully I will get a replacement soon.

I also discovered that the front passenger window has detached from the window winder channel inside the door, so another job to do. The new window seals retained the glass as the window was wound down.

The car will be back on the road from April 1st  after being SORN'd for the winter.

Back to the top
Hope you can make it to Stanford Hall , been waiting ages to see this car!

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top

Back to the top
I am considering replacing my Pierburg IB3. On occasions it can be a bit temperamental when cold starting with the autochoke. It's fine when warmed up.

Yesterday and today I stripped and serviced a 36TLP Weber carb which I obtained a few years ago. It was previously fitted to a golf.

Over time I have managed to get the proper VW choke cable, choke light and the full installation kit with instructions.

A few pictures, before I started, I had previously given it an external clean. These photos came in useful when it came to assembly.

References: The Haynes Manual and the installation guide.

Service kit: Should have taken a photo here, the kit included the majority of gaskets seals and replaceable components. I was missing one seal and a float pin, both of which I reused.

Stripping the carb: a bit mucky, also having not been used for a while, very dry:

Accelerator pump

Cleaning:

During assembly, I checked all the gaps and settings. The Haynes manual, is quite informative, but does not list the Weber for the Golf.

However, most of the settings apart from the main jet are the same or within the same tolerances.

Assembled / Finished:

I had trouble with the accelerator pump jet, it was blocked, managed to clear it with carb cleaner.

Hopefully I will be able to install the Weber in the coming weeks.

Back to the top
 I had a day off today and was going to replace my carburettor, but it was such a nice day following yesterdays Simply VW,

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=show-meet-pictures-and_2%2Fsimply-vw-26-june-2016

I  decided to do a bit of titivating, take it for a drive and take some photos that are not outside my garage!:

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Looks pretty Nice..

Posted at work…

Back to the top
That looks fantastics Malc, all your hard work has certainly paid off. Hopefully it's all work that never needs doing again either so you can just enjoy driving it and polishing it now!  :cool:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Back to the top
Good man!! :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Malcolm

What an outstanding restoration and many thanks for taking the time and effort to create such a comprehensive blog!  Proving a HUGE help in my own restoration!

Couple of questions if you don't mind:
I note on your rear axle reassembly you used

1.  "Duralac jointing compound" - not something I have come across and can't find anyone else that has used it  - why did you use it??????

2.  What silver paint did you use on items such as the alternator, starter motor etc????

3.  What did you use for the "cadmium" yellow passivated parts like nuts/bolts, alternator bracket etc?

Look forward to your reply.

Back to the top
1. Jointing compound is used to prevent corrosion between dissimilar metals. I used to use it in my aircraft days.

http://intek-uk.com/duralac_compound_dtd-369b.html

2. Simoniz Silver enamel paint, likewise gloss or satin black for other parts.

3. A bit of a cheat: Smooth Hammerite Gold, touched up where required or completely painted after preparation (soaking in DEOX C or Gel from Bilt Hamber).

http://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/

Black items were prepared (DEOX C or Gel), then painted in POR-15 (Frost Products), then painted in either satin or gloss black enamel.

http://www.por15.com/

Hope this helps.

Back to the top

Malcolm said

I am considering replacing my Pierburg IB3. On occasions it can be a bit temperamental when cold starting with the autochoke. It's fine when warmed up.

Yesterday and today I stripped and serviced a 36TLP Weber carb which I obtained a few years ago. It was previously fitted to a golf.

Over time I have managed to get the proper VW choke cable, choke light and the full installation kit with instructions.

A few pictures, before I started, I had previously given it an external clean. These photos came in useful when it came to assembly.

References: The Haynes Manual and the installation guide.

Service kit: Should have taken a photo here, the kit included the majority of gaskets seals and replaceable components. I was missing one seal and a float pin, both of which I reused.

Stripping the carb: a bit mucky, also having not been used for a while, very dry:

Accelerator pump

Cleaning:

During assembly, I checked all the gaps and settings. The Haynes manual, is quite informative, but does not list the Weber for the Golf.

However, most of the settings apart from the main jet are the same or within the same tolerances.

Assembled / Finished:

I had trouble with the accelerator pump jet, it was blocked, managed to clear it with carb cleaner.

Hopefully I will be able to install the Weber in the coming weeks.

Yesterday I replaced my troublesome Pierberg 2E2 in my Mk2 with a progressive weber kit.  It was very straightforward to fit straight out of the box.  Its seems very well engineered as well only needing a few tweeks, and most importantly, the car runs sweetly on it, far better than before.  Whilst the original carb is considerably more fancy, to my mind, it was simply more to go wrong, and I was constantly chasing my tail trying to fix it.  Not bothered by loosing the originality one bit!

Back to the top
I believe most agree that this is an acceptable upgrade, though I have not managed to complete it yet, probably a winter project.

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Awesome work..

Posted at work…

Back to the top
Yes to the above, though the black paint has changed its packaging. The packaging of the black paint I used was similar to the silver paint link you have.

Re the anti roll bars, I suspect yes, however there might have been a change in the early production cars. I will have a look at my parts catalogue and see. I''ll let you know.

Back to the top
Thanks for looking at the anti-roll bar - mines a 1983 1.8 GTi - about to "do" the rear end but unsure if I have a roll bar on it - bad back at the moment so cant crawl under to look!

So the Simoniz SILVER paint.

Thanks

Back to the top
Sorry, been watching the Olympics, the GTI for 1983 does have a rear anti-roll bar fitted.

Just to confirm, I used Simoniz Engine enamel in silver, black satin or gloss for the engine.

Back to the top
Malcolm - you are a star - very many thanks.  My back was better today so stuck my head under the rear and sure enough I do have a rear roll bar - albeit caked in shutz!

Back to the top
There are too many online users to list.