Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Absolutely stunning!!  :cool:  :wub:  :ocf_emoticons__notworthy:

Nice to see the MK6 too ;)

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Have enjoyed watching this thread since you started in August 2008, and take my hat off to you for doing everything yourself except the paintwork. You must be really chuffed with the end result I know I would be.  Good to see the hub caps on, but theres one last bit of chrome to go on.

Back to the top

Back to the top

watson said

Good to see the hub caps on, but theres one last bit of chrome to go on.

Tailgate strip Dave?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Ah posted at the same time! lol

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yep, the tailgate chrome strip. I think you may struggle to find a replacement or alternative strip. Why not just stick the old strip on with new double sided tape.  Chris (Massbad69) got a new roll of the stuff not sure where from though. PM him.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Had a day off on Friday, decided to fit Electronic ignition to replace the points.

A product supplied by Accuspark, not quite as simple as they make out a few alterations required, but will hopefully stop the repeated checking and replacement of the points.

You need to set the engine to TDC before you start and remove the distributor. Then remove the points and condenser.

The new kit against the old:

Apply Heatsink paste to the bottom of the unit.

Then fit the Electronic ignition to the distributor. I had to replace the attachment screw with a longer one as the new base plate is much thicker than the points base plate.

I refitted the distributor & the rotor arm and checked it lined up with No 1 lead on the cap. If not, reposition leads in the cap and fit clockwise 1-3-4-2. Which I had to do.

I noted that the plastic disc cover interfered with the unit, so I cut a gap to allow it to fit.

I then realised it needed a bigger gap to allow the advance to work.

The original LT lead from the negative connection of the coil is connected to the negative lead of the unit. I had to use an inline connection.  

The new red lead is connected to the positive connection of the coil. I had to extend the supplied lead.

I fitted the cap and started the engine. Reset the timing with a strobe and by rotating the distributor until TDC lined up.

I note that there are plenty of guides on YouTube for this modification.

Had the first nice long run on Saturday from Romsey to Worthing to visit my daughter / grand daughter,  also took the opportunity to visit VW Heritage for the first time at Shoreham. A total round trip of about 140 miles.

Pretty pleased, it ran very well. Though in hindsight as I write this, I might take the plastic disc cover out of the distributor, as you have both mechanical weights and vacuum advance systems rotating the unit inside the distributor and the gap I cut might
 have to be bigger.

Back to the top
I had the same problem as you with the plastic cover when I fitted my Accuspark on my Mk1 Scirocco but did not think about cutting a hole in it. I've been running without the cover for a year and it seems fine but always thought Why did VW fit it?
Ive been pleased with the kit as the car starts and idles smoother and it revs a lot better at the top end.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks for the feedback, I am definitely going to remove the plastic disc.

I did feel that I was being a bit restricted when I put my foot down at speed. Under light load it was OK.

Maybe the gap wasn't big enough to take both vacuum and mechanical weights advance.

You can simulate the vacuum to see the plate turn off the car, but you can't simulate the mechanical weights going out.

Back to the top
Fathers Day today, my daughters gave me a car blanket today:

It has been a few weeks since my last post, the car has been back in the spray shop getting the doors realigned, roof and C pillars polished and some paint touch up, caused by me, after the rebuild.

Whilst the car has been away I been working on the upholstery. Only done the headrests and a seat base so far, pretty happy with the results, but time consuming.

Some time back I purchased a sewing machine, slightly heavy duty. I have been putting some oomph back into the seats.

A few pictures:

The head rests were stripped, washed and new foam added:

Original seat base.

Sprayed with glue, as well as new foam:

Stuck to the seat:

When dry the foam is coat for the metal tension wires.

Cut a long story short, addition foam inserted in the middle section and sewn to create the "panelling". Seat material added to the base foam us via the tension wires.

Started the seat back, can't remember how it came apart !, I will work it out.

So I got the car back on Friday, very happy that the activity is now complete and I can finalise everything for the AGM.

Some pics of the alignment: Needless to say, I am pretty happy.

Since Friday, I have also timed and set the Carb mixture and idling using a Colortune to resolve a hot start issue, it was running too rich.

I replaced the console gauges and the passenger door handle to maintain the one key opens all.

to be continued …………..

Back to the top
Looking forward to seeing this at the AGM

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Great work on the seats Malc - I like the blanket too!  :thumbs:

I can't wait to see it in the flesh again at the AGM

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The evenings and this weekend have been occupied continuing with the front seat upholstery. Currently 75% completed.

Here is my trusty stead purchased 18 months ago, used it for the first time 2-3 weeks ago, only three needles broken so far!.

Just to confirm, there is plenty of hand stitching as well!.

Drivers seat base fully fitted to the frame:

Here is a comparison of the new and old drivers seat bases:

Passenger seat base, note a couple of vinyl repairs on the side:

The drivers seat back with new foam inserted and stitched:

Drivers back with a new support mesh. (I could have used the existing one):

Sorry, missed a photo here fitting the fibrous sponge, (might be able to insert one later) before adding additional foam to the both drivers and passenger seat backs:

Seat back cover fitted and assembled to the seat base with head rest:

Fitted in the car, this shows how flat the rear seat is: this will not be done for the show:

Anyway, reasonably happy, stitching not perfect, only I know!, I have passenger seat back still to do.

The wife is away for two weeks looking after the grandaughter whist the daughter is on Jury Service.

So plenty of time on my hands to work on Gary, I mean cooking, washing up, ironing, etc.

Back to the top
That's an amazing job you have made of those seats.  It's the one thing that lets many restorations of NON GTI. 70s/80s VWS down, saggy seat trim. - this is perfection

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
They look like new Malc, great work. It must feel a nice place to be in your MK1 now (not that it wasn't before! lol)

Enjoy your domestic goddess routine ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Top work on the seats Malcolm, very impressed, and I like the Gary the Golf blanket. So now Gary is finished, whats your next project ?

Back to the top
Gary is not quite finished yet, I am sure that there are still a few things to do.

I have been looking for the next project, my future son in law wants a mini, but this has been put on the back burner.

Some body is giving me a GTI engine so this might fill the gap for the moment.

Back to the top
I regret that I will not be able to attend this years AGM.

I am in Cumbria at the moment on urgent family issues with my father very unwell. GarytheGolf is in Romsey with a front passenger seat to be assembled and fitted.

I have the tickets and the T Shirts but I have had to cancel the Hotel.

Hope you guys have a very good weekend, I look forward the seeing the pictures.

Back to the top
So sorry to hear this,  hope your father gets better soon.  I was really looking forward to seeing your car, hope to get chance to do that at some later date.

image.jpeg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.