Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

A weekly update, a few evenings and today.

I fitted the passenger front door trim, went OK, pretty happy with it.

P1020404.jpg

Unfortunately the drivers door went awry., so I left it for another day to think about.

P1020405.jpg

P1020406.jpg

So I decided to concentrate on the rear of the car.

Speaker mounts, parcel shelf, rear seat and seat belts fitted. Had to fit them making sure the headlining was still smooth and tight.

P1020398.jpg

P1020400.jpg

Nearly had a panic trying to find the holes for the upper seat belt mounts. Checked and checked again before cutting the holes

P1020396.jpg

Though just found out my parcel shelf need new rubbers!! Ordered today from Funk star.

P1020402.jpg

Also fitted the remaining external door edge trims.

I put the front seat covers in the washing machine this morning to freshen up.  

I'm fortunate to have two sets of seats. Got to think about these cover, how to fit them nice and plump.

P1020409.JPG

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
Wow the seat covers look really fresh Malc!

Shame about the door capping, I hope you can sort it out  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Possibly the most in depth resto I have ever seen! Nice work!

Back to the top
Fortunate enough this week to do a little more than usual.

Decided to address the damaged door capping  / trim cutting out the damaged top layer and inserting a piece cannibalised from another. The first few photos are from my mobile.

Though looking at this photo, I could have another go, I now know what to do,  but I will leave that for another day.

Door trim and furniture applied.

Anyway today is Saturday, looking forward to a whole day working on the car.

Back to the top
More work done yesterday. I focused on the rear seat and the carpet:

I tackled the parcel shelf straps, see the link below:

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=technical%2Fbodywork-fittings-and_2%2Fparcel-shelf-straps

Scrubbed the boot mat with vinyl cleaner to make it more supple to flatten it.

I fitted the interior light and sun visors whilst trying to keep the headlining crease free. The sunvisors where quite grubby and required cleaning after storage.

I left the mirror out until the windscreen is fitted.

Just a little more work to do on the headlining before the windscreen goes in. It's being fitted on Monday !.

Back to the top
It must be so hard not to just keep on working until it's finished now!!

Good first attempt on the door capping. It's a shame the line is there as otherwise the repair looks spot-on  :thumbs:

(Does Rae know you stole his steel rule?  :lol: )

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
That's my surname! I've had it for years from when I was in the forces.

I couldn't waste any more time on the door capping, it's tidy for now, though I think I will be looking for a replacement.

Despite having two sets, the drivers door cappings were the most damaged.

I managed to do an hour this morning. The car is about a couple of miles away from home.

The windscreen is being replaced on Monday afternoon, I'm taking a half day so a few hours whilst I wait.

Just checked, that wrinkle in the headlining will disappear when the windscreen is fitted.

Back to the top

Malcolm said

That's my surname! I've had it for years from when I was in the forces.

Ah ok, I hadn't realised!  :lol:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Top work as always Malcolm. Keep the updates coming.

Back to the top
Last Monday, I had the new windscreen fitted. Happy with the result.

Little bits done here and there, took advice from Rubjonny about the earth cable to the engine. I did not realise that I already had the longer cable to the engine cylinder head in my box of bits, I bought the engine cylinder head earth bracket from ebay, which can be seen just below the end of the cable.

Fitted the remainder of the rear seat belts and fitted the fronts.

Yesterday took a bit of time, fitted the front wheel arch liners, spring cleaned the rear suspension of spray dust. and fitted the steel wheels.

First tome the car has seen the light of day.

Still need to finalise door and lock alignment, rears look  OK, fronts need doing.

Spent the rest of the day getting the car running.  After two years though, a few issues:

Spark plugs out, put some light oil into the cylinders, turned by hand.

Spun engine to get oil around it, oil pressure light went out on each occasion. Refitted plugs, leads, etc.

Wouldn't start, no fuel, pump was not delivering, rectification: prime the pump, it had gone dry.

Again, wouldn't start, started from scratch again, retimed distributor, connected the leads the right way around !! started. Note: Dizzy goes clockwise 1342, not anti-clockwise!

Ran up to working temperature, fan kicked in. Engine and exhaust sounded nice, GTI exhaust fitted due to the anti roll bars.

Changed the oil and filter with an original VW one, ran to working temperature. Checked the radiator level.

Looking for an MOT this coming week, still got a bit of wiring to do for the front fog lights and headlight washers, fitting the front seats and radio.

Back to the top
I seem to be living and breathing Golf Mk1 at the moment. The Bank Holiday has been very useful.

When I start a job there always seems to be an unscheduled event. I started the car this morning spotted an oil leak from the fuel pump area. Ended up cleaning the mounting area and replacing the "O" ring. I temporarily removed the pressure transmitter for the supplementary gauges.

I didn't start fitting the carpets until much later than expected. Sound proofed the cabin / engine firewall, tunnel and front floor area.

P1020457.jpg

A layer of felt:

P1020460.jpg

Plus another:

P1020461.jpg

Then the carpet, the rubber mats and the drivers seat. The drivers seat is a second one, I intend to refurb the original.

P1020462.jpg

Fitted some replacement / copies of the original number plates.

P1020452.jpg

And the front:

P1020455.jpg

Note the 4 digit Phone Nos.

P1020453.jpg

P1020456.jpg

Drove the car for the first time in two years around the car park then back into the Mancave.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Fantastic Malc!! I love following your updates and it's great to know it's started again and see the car in daylight - roll on MOT time!

What soundproofing material are you using? The rubber covered stuff looks like it would do a good job.

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Back to the top
Thanks for the link Malc, that's a good price for that I think.

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking good Malcolm, and great to see Gary outside and nearly finished.  Dealer plates are a nice touch. Are you fitting chrome hubcaps ?

Back to the top
Dave, Yes, I have fitted the hubcaps, I finally got the car through MOT on Tuesday and taxed. One advisory, slight imbalance on the rear brakes.

The work done in the last ten days or so preparing for MOT has been largely undocumented.

Since the MOT I have driven to work on two occasions. I  need to address the auto choke and a few teething issues.

I have also booked the car into the spray shop for the 28th May to do the mopping on the roof & C pillars plus the final door alignment.

Back to the top
Fantastic new Malc, you must be so please to have the MOT and be driving it again.

I can't wait to see this at the AGM  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yes, but I have had a few issues, I was moments away from replacing the Pierberg to a Weber this weekend.

The autochoke was giving me some concern going to work after a cold start, cutting out. etc., I found that a vacuum tube had slipped of the back of the carb.

I also retimed and set the idling speed. I took her for a reasonable test drive. Drove much better. I shall find out next week if I have solved the autochoke problem.

In addition, more titivation sorting out wiring for the electric aerial (blown fuse), Radio + ipod interface, rear speakers (disconnections) and finally refitting the dash shelves.

Over the last 10 days or so, I also sorted out the wiring for the Foglights and the Headlight washers.

I have found out that even the latest wiring in the Haynes manual for my model of car is incorrect. I have mention this before, in that my car seems to have some Mk2 wiring, particularly the headlight washers and inlet manifold heating. Once wired as a Mk2, bingo they work.

After my test drive I took some pictures:

P.S, that my Mk6 in the background, see Golf through and through!

P1020475.jpg

P1020473.jpg

Here I am trying to take a photo to eliminate the slight door misalignment, notice my silhouette! The final alignment is on the 28th.

P1020466.jpg

P1020467.jpg

P1020469.jpg

P1020472.jpg

P1020468.jpg

Saggy front seats still to be done. 2nd set fitted. I have just found out where some rubber bungs go, a job for next time!.

P1020471.jpg

Inside the cave:

P1020483.jpg

Sorry about the hairy leg!

P1020480.jpg

P1020485.jpg

P1020486.jpg

P1020487.jpg

Back to the top
Looking really good. I'd be over the moon if mine comes out half this good!
There are too many online users to list.