Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

looking good malcolm  :thumbs:

think trial and error is standard practice on these projects  :lol:

matt

Back to the top
The car looks grand, I've been enjoying reading this thread and all the hard work and time you have put in.

I did the same as you with the chrome trim around the door windows on my Mk1 Scirocco but unlike you I did both sides (Only got 2 doors) before I tried to fit the chrome and realized what I had done wrong…

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

pazwaa said

looking good malcolm  :thumbs:

think trial and error is standard practice on these projects  :lol:

matt

mark1gls said

The car looks grand, I've been enjoying reading this thread and all the hard work and time you have put in.

I did the same as you with the chrome trim around the door windows on my Mk1 Scirocco but unlike you I did both sides (Only got 2 doors) before I tried to fit the chrome and realized what I had done wrong…

Thanks for the comments, I will get it right in the end!.

I also did both front doors first before realising the chrome goes on first. Got it right on the back doors.

I will revisit the front doors at the weekend.

Any tips on keeping the chrome nice and shiney?, I had a go with Autosol, there was some improvement, but not perfect.

Back to the top
One pace back and two paces forward!. I had another go at doing the front windows and chrome trim yesterday, it's amazing how long it takes.

I cleaned up the chrome trim with Autosol polish and a Dremil type drill fitted with a mini polishing mop. A couple of scratches and dinks here and there.

Not a bad effort, but not perfect. Window Chrome trim is like rocking horse muck to find. Anyway:

Front doors with the chrome fitted BEFORE putting the quarter lights and window seals in:

P1020159.jpg

P1020160.jpg

P1020161.jpg

Both front doors with windows and seals fitted:

Internal and external scrapers to be fitted later.

P1020162.jpg

P1020166.jpg

Looks nice front and rear together. Internal door mechanisms next.

P1020164.jpg

P1020165.jpg

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
That looks great Malc, the chrome has come-up nicely ;)

The glass looks very clean too, are all the windows scratch free?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The side glass is surprisingly in good order, the rear hatch glass has a few scratches, the front screen was replaced last year.

I did take advantage of preparing and cleaning all the glass during the respray.

Back to the top
Good to see the pics of Gary coming back together. Chrome trim against new paint looks great - could have just rolled out of the showroom. Like Andy says, can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Back to the top
Thanks for all the comments guys, it is very motivating.

I look forward now as to what my next challenge is, instead of waiting for the car to come out of respray.

Only working on Gary once a week (6-8 hours), hopefully more when it gets warmer and lighter in the evenings, I pick a nugget of work to achieve before the end of the day.

Back to the top
7 Hours yesterday, not too much to show, just bits and bobs.

Though nice and clean and very little corrosion, gave the door looks a light refurb.

P1020173.jpg

Not to sure about the stainless bolts though, maybe too much of a contrast?.

P1020179.jpg

P1020178.JPG

P1020176.jpg

P1020177.jpg

The old front door handles were after market and soon to fail, the rears were still VW but worn.

The new ones on the left side are original VW NOS, Finished with nice and shiny original chrome.

P1020171.JPG

Initially the right side door handles were new from Febi, unfortunately the drivers broke on first use!,

P1020190.jpg

I replaced it with an aftermarket German quality Meyer. All front door locks transferred and working OK.

A little detail of the rear door vents. One of the original flaps had broken off, the remaining was very curled. I got the wife to fabricate replacements out of sticky back foam and green felt from Hobby Craft.

P1020167.jpg

P1020169.JPG

Other little jobs completed today:

Chassis plate and bonnet lock riveted on:

P1020175.jpg

Heater and grille reattached.

P1020180.jpg

I must finish the internal door mechanisms next weekend.

Back to the top
More good work, it's coming together!

I love the door flaps - nice little touch that rather than fitting old, scabby ones!  :cool:  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nice work ..love the chrome window trims :D

Back to the top
Looking good... :thumbs:

"Mk1 Golf Gti...all things to all men"

Back to the top
A few hours today, bits and boobs but I did manage to get the internal door mechanisms working.

Rear door rods fitted, rattles damped with some additional felt.

P1020191.JPG

I had a particular issue with these bellcranks, I seem to have lost the bolts and shims for these. I substituted with longer bolts and a rubber grommets locked off with additional nuts on the inside. They work very well.

P1020203.jpg

Found the panel mounts over the door vents, save the paintwork use circlip piers to position.

P1020193.jpg

Front doors

P1020194.JPG

Bonnet rubbers and stay clip

P1020196.jpg

P1020197.JPG

Door restraint covers and pins, though a bit long at the moment.

P1020198.jpg

P1020200.jpg

Door Switches original cleaned with new seals.

P1020202.jpg

Back to the top
A little bit of work done yesterday.

I managed to find some stainless steel door pins (clevis) of a more suitable length from the marine industry. My previous ones where too long, I am using "R" clips at the moment, I have added a SS washer to pack. I can fit the star washers later.

I have new bolts for the door hinges, they will not be fitted until the doors are fully aligned. Need to clean the rust marks of the door frame seal.

P1020204.jpg

P1020207.jpg

I fitted some of the body and door trim. With new paint it takes some time, it can be quite fragile where attachment holes are.

White clips for the waistline trim:

P1020208.jpg

P1020210.jpg

I decides to inject some wax into the sills before fitting the sill trim. I warmed the tin in hot water before use.

Red clips for the sill trim. I polished the chrome trim with a Dremel type drill before putting it on.

P1020211.jpg

P1020213.jpg

P1020214.jpg

Nice fit over the wings.

P1020226.jpg

I also injected wax through two holes at the bottom of the sills and one at the front. This car was Ziebarted from new.

P1020223.jpg

P1020224.jpg

P1020225.jpg

P1020226.jpg

I fitted the rear arch protectors, despite being flimsy NOS, they are a nice fit.

P1020219.jpg

On a tangent, I have found use for last years AGM T shirt, another layer to keep warm in the Mancave.

I finished early yesterday with a visit from the grand daughter, my daughters family live 60 miles away. A coincidence, she was wearing her MK1OC baby grow.

P1020232.jpg

Back to the top
Great pic Malc!! Nice to see you both 'MK1'd-up!'  :cool:

More good progress on the car too ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
The refit is coming along nicely, you must be well pleased. Good idea about injecting wax into the sills.  Interested to see someone else who's mk1 was Ziebart rust proofed when new. When my old Ziebart window sticker died, I got a couple of new ones made up. So if you want one for Gary's rear window Malcolm, , PM me and I'll get one off to you.

Like the proud Grandad pic.

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Dave, yes please, that would be great, I have been looking for classic stickers. The typical location would be nice as we'll.

Back to the top

watson said

The refit is coming along nicely, you must be well pleased. Good idea about injecting wax into the sills.  Interested to see someone else who's mk1 was Ziebart rust proofed when new. When my old Ziebart window sticker died, I got a couple of new ones made up. So if you want one for Gary's rear window Malcolm, , PM me and I'll get one off to you.

About 20-ish years ago I owned a 1965, MK1 Mini. That had been Ziebarted from new and was absolutely rust free - all original panels, so it does work well for a long time.

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

watson said

About 20-ish years ago I owned a 1965, MK1 Mini. That had been Ziebarted from new and was absolutely rust free - all original panels, so it does work well for a long time.
Yes Andy, Ziebart was good stuff, and certainly helped preserve any car it was applied to. I wonder if that Mini is still about ?  Looking back at my golf's original bill of sale, it was done through the VW Dealer and cost £120 at the time.

Sticker is in the post Malcolm.

Back to the top
Yes the Mini is still about. I last saw it at the NEC in 2005 at the Classic Motor Show.

It was on the Burlen Fuel stand - I think one of the Directors owned it - I did chat with him.

The odd thing was it had changed colour, but as soon as I glimpsed it my first thought was to check the reg no in case it was my old car - and it was!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.