Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Wow looking great Malc. Well done  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
looks liek its the jumper wire which connects the 2 number plate lights together, so the power comes in to 1 of them and this wire loops between to power up the other :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Interesting, thanks for that, I will investigate.

Though not directly associated with the hatchback, I could have stored the wire with the hatchback stuff when I dismantled the car.

Back to the top
Oh great to have a date now! Let's hope that path is cleared in time for arrival  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Did you work out how the wiring goes for your heated screen yet? If so would you mind taking a picture of what goes where as im at the same stage as you and will be getting the body shop to fit the headlining, cheers.

Back to the top
A little hiccup, the headlining is not suitable. Made a few years ago, it is too thick, so another has been ordered from Newtons, 3 week wait though.

A couple of pics showing that some blue trim has been installed. The original trim re-coloured.

P1020062-1.jpg

P1020063.jpg

The hatchback has been installed the wiring  and wash tubing connected.

P1020079.jpg

A little clearing out to allow the car to come back in.

P1020067.jpg

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top

daniboy123 said

Did you work out how the wiring goes for your heated screen yet? If so would you mind taking a picture of what goes where as im at the same stage as you and will be getting the body shop to fit the headlining, cheers.

Hi, well I checked out the wiring myself and checked it with a multimeter. You have wires for the rear wiper motor and a wire for the heated screen both earthed with a common earth.

The little wire shown in a previous picture, though coloured for the heated screen, has been determined to be the short wire between the rear number plate lights. I have yet to prove this.

Not having the headlining at the moment is a blessing in disguise because the car is coming back without it fitted. With a bit of luck, I may be able to take photos during next week, if not, on Saturday, when the car comes back. Hopefully I can verify it all then.

Back to the top
So what issue did the too thick headlining cause Malc? (If that's not a daft question?!)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
It's a combination of a number of things:

I bought it a few years ago, not sure who from. It was made for me using my old one as a template out of thicker than normal material, apparently this makes it heavy and difficult to stretch, after a while it would eventually sag.

The sowing lines are marked with pencil on the facing side rather on back/wrong side of the material with tailors chalk, when stretched the pencilled stitching lines are visible.

When unpacked it was very creased because it was posted in a packet and sat for a long time on top of my wardrobe. I  am told that headlining is supposed to be rolled rather than folded for transportation. The use of pencil has also stained other areas of the headlining when it was folded.

So I have put it down to experience and bought a new one.

Back to the top
Oh that's a shame. You live and learn I guess!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Car came back today, very cold morning. Gary was kept warm in a nice trailer.

A few issues, the sprayer was unable to finish polishing the roof and the rear of the car, due to having appendicitis. He had an operation last night. Polishing will be completed later.

Door / panel alignment will also be redone later after adding all the glass, etc.

Back in his home for the next few months. Terrible picture!

P1020071.jpg

Home comforts though! watching Flog It.

Some work done today:

Filler neck and cap:

Removed the old exhaust and new one fitted:

Engine needs cleaning of dust.

Gary sealed off from the rest of the workshop.

Back to the top
That looks fantastic Malc, great paint finish. I hope the sprayer is ok now!!

I bet you're glad that you had already detailed the engine, that's one less big job to worry about!

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Engines a bit dusty now, shouldn't take too much to finish.

My headlining to due for the 19th, a critical item as it is preventing windscreens and other stuff being installed.

Also discover my NOS windscreen  chrome trim is very coiled / twisty. A little time in the airing cupboard no doubt.

The spray shop will fit it all when it' available.

Back to the top
Wow, looks amazing Malcolm - the pics we've been waiting for. Certainly looks a top finish, you must be well pleased.

Back to the top
Yes, very pleased, I am making a little list of outstanding issues, nothing significant so far.

I have now got to find all those loose bits I have hidden somewhere!.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to work on the car for a few weeks. We are off to Cumbria next weekend with my two daughters and new baby to visit my father, brother and sister there.

Back to the top
looks stunning malcolm, good job  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
A happy new year to everyone.

I only managed two days working on Gary over Xmas.

It's times like these when you wish you had done a bit more recording how thing things came apart.

Some simple stuff fitting the back lights (NOS) and badges:

P1020134.jpg

P1020135.jpg

P1020136.jpg

The not so simple: had a real problem assembling the rear wiper mechanism.

P1020139.jpg

Spent one day putting the glass and seals into the front doors, spot the deliberate mistake: Remember its a GL with chrome:

P1020146.jpg

P1020147.jpg

P1020158.jpg

Having realised my mistake, on the second day I worked on the rear doors.

P1020150.jpg

P1020151.jpg

P1020152.jpg

The scrapers are still to go in.

Back to the top
Happy New Year Malc!

Yes it's surprising how quickly you can forget how something came apart, done it many times!  :lol:

Easy mistake to make on the chrome trim ;) The car is looking great and it's nice to see it start to come back together again.

I've probably asked before but is there a 'D-Day' for when it's back on the road again?

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Back to the top
Good news!! I can't wait to see it in the flesh!!  :cool:  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si
There are too many online users to list.