Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Looking great Malcolm. Great work.  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Welcome to the MK1 world Isabelle!! You are so young but already have great taste in clothes  :thumbs:

Malc - nice refurb on the spots - fantastic attention to detail  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
really nice worki going on here :) wish i could do the same :)

Banner

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments guys, I find that just nibbling at the mountain of things to do, it will eventually disappear.

However, I am starting to miss Gary. I am actually starting to run out of things to do waiting for him to come out of the respray shop.

I have been given a commitment that he will be in primer this coming Thursday before the spray man has a holiday.  It will then dry for a week before blocking.

Back to the top
A little update, went to see Gary on Friday. I am pleased to report progress with the respray. I had a good start to the weekend.

The bonnet, one door wings and hatchback have yet to be sprayed with primer, but body has been primed, all the dent removal and the welding (very little, just tidying my welding up) have been done.

I took a few pics. However, more to come later, the shop took some pics of the before and after of the work they have done including a short video. Here's my pics.

P1010700.jpg

P1010701.jpg

P1010702.jpg

P1010704.jpg

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
Saturday in the Mancave was quite interesting, I had to do some work on the wifes car, a VW Lupo, which I believe will be a future classic, before continuing my efforts on the Mk1.

I managed to get another twin lamp grill from ebay to maybe replace one of my spot lights.

Imagine my disappointment when I got this, described as "good condition". No mention of broken clip or corrosion in the lamps, one particularly bad. Didn't pay a lot, £30 in P&P.

Just hope they are not a member of the club!

P1010705.jpg

P1010706.jpg

P1010712.jpg

Back to the top

Back to the top
You must be pleased to see paint go on the car at last Malc!

I'd be wanting my money back on that headlight, it's not what you were expecting to buy really.

Ref the spoiler, it's a nice period add-on, but I'm with Mike on it, I'm not sure it will look right on your car or not. For me, I think it's a case of holding it in place once the car is near completed to see if you think it will work.

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Looking good Malcolm. A shame about the light though. As Hairyarse said, I would also return it.

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Visited the spray shop yesterday some more progress, the bonnet had been stripped of paint and prepared. The remaining items were going to be primed.

The spray shop gave me some pictures, here are a few before and after shots. Apparently apart from some dent removal not too much repair work to do.

Back to the top
That's one solid shell Malc, you must be pleased!

It's also nice to see them mask the car down to the ground to stop that annoying over-spray underneath. It surprises me how often you don't see that done.

Top coat soon!  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Down in the Mancave at the moment, playing that rear spoiler and brake lights. It's there if I want to use it, probably not though. Got lots of feedback.

Yes, you are right, the spray shop seems to be doing the necessary to protect the car, it's bread and butter to them. I am prepared for the dust, but not any overspray.

They were trialling a potential apprentice on Friday.

I was very pleased to see the photos they took, this eliminates any concerns that I had about the preparation before the primer.

Apparently before the top coat, blocking the exterior and interior preparation.

Back to the top
Good to see things are now moving along at the paintshop at last. Won't be long now Malcolm and you'll be fitting up - the best bit. Looking forward to the paint pics.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Looking good and some nice progress there Malcolm.  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Spray Shop update, more progress, a nice start to the weekend.

Like to say it's all my work, but it isn't.

The remaining items have been primed.

P1010732.jpg

Some items have been blocked and smoothed with wet & dry.

WP_20141021_013.jpg

P1010733.jpg

Some of the interior has been painted with the final coat.

P1010731.jpg

and the engine bay:

P1010728.jpg

P1010729.jpg

P1010730.jpg

Back to the top
Car is coming along nicely Malcolm, you must be well pleased! Re the inner spot lights, I have a set you can have if you cover the cost of the postage mate, They are currently in a broken grille that I bought for the red trim. I also have one on it's own in good nick. I'll get some pics for you if you're interested? Let me know.

Andy.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Wow top coat!! You must be chuffed to see that going on now! The finish looks excellent, I think you'll have one very mint MK1 when it's finished.

I feel a trophy contender in the making for next year's AGM!  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Yes, it was quite a surprise to see some silver on when I went to see the car.

It all seems to be happening in a logical order.  I am in the mancave today fixing the bumper on the wifes Lupo before some paint..
There are too many online users to list.