Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Looking good. Nice neat wing repair there Malcolm. Did you do that indoors too while the wife was out :lol:

Back to the top

Back to the top
Small update, needed to paint the wing with stone chip, two product one white, one grey.

HPIM3158.jpg

Also shows my little repair shown on previous photos from the inside.

HPIM3159.jpg

HPIM3160.jpg

Hopefully they are original wings.

HPIM3163.jpg

Brought them in the house to dry in front of a radiator,, much to the disgust of the wife. Now they are in the shed until next weekend.

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
My Mrs always goes mad when I bring in car stuff to dry too :lol:

Back to the top
I really appreciate the workmanship you are putting into this car.

Back to the top
Love reading build threads this detailed. Great work pal love the blue dash  :wub:

Back to the top

smudger1980 said

My Mrs always goes mad when I bring in car stuff to dry too :lol:

The wife couldn't cope for long, I must admit the smell of the paint cleared the tubes, but it dried pretty quick between coats.

Back to the top

RoadBoss said

I really appreciate the workmanship you are putting into this car.

AaronGTI said

Love reading build threads this detailed. Great work pal love the blue dash  :wub:

Thanks for the comments guys, it makes the effort worthwhile.

Back to the top
nice work mate......that blue dash and console are stunning!!

Back to the top
been reading this from the start and it truly is awesome skill and attention to detail.

very nice work Malcolm

Back to the top

mk1_Dips said

nice work mate……that blue dash and console are stunning!!

mk1_Dips said

been reading this from the start and it truly is awesome skill and attention to detail.

very nice work Malcolm

Thanks for the comments, I was unable to do any work this weekend due to family commitments.

Looking forward to next weekend though!

Back to the top
Wow just read your whole thread from start to finish. Excellent work mate  :thumbs:
You must have started yours about the same time a me.
I really must update my thread. All the pics are on photobucket, I just dont seem to have the time to sit and transfer them onto my rebuild thread.
Im glad to see Im not the only person hanging newly painted parts up in the house to dry.  :lol:

First Golf, lots of work. I've started so I'll finish!

Back to the top

Macca said

Im glad to see Im not the only person hanging newly painted parts up in the house to dry.  :lol:

LMAO

:ocf_emoticons__clap:  

Back to the top
Respect to this build its great to see :thumbs:

Back to the top
A little done over the Easter, mostly logistics within the single garage, moving stuff about to allow work on the front end.

I fitted a roof rack and managed, just, to store all the buckets of kit, paint, etc. on the roof.

HPIM3171.jpg

HPIM3174.jpg

I fitted the bonnet in its original position, having previously drilled two small location holes through the attachment brackets before removal.

HPIM3173.jpg

And located the wings, the right hand is not bad, will need some fettling.

HPIM3175.jpg

HPIM3178.jpg

Left hand side is pretty bad:

HPIM3176.jpg

HPIM3177.jpg

HPIM3181.jpg

HPIM3182.jpg

Decided to fit the original wing on the left side, unfortunately with rust, fits a lot better!

HPIM3184.jpg

HPIM3185.jpg

HPIM3186.jpg

HPIM3190.jpg

Decided to leave it until next time when it is a bit warmer and I have a bit more space!.

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
It's not the worst I have seen Malcolm tbh. The patent wings are a pants fit aren't they :(

Back to the top
Oops, no these wings are original vw but from another car, they probably got stretched and twisted a bit when they were removed from the donor car.

Only the rusty nearside / left wing is from this car. I am assuming it is original vw.

Back to the top
 :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

Back to the top

Malcolm said

Oops, no these wings are original vw but from another car, they probably got stretched and twisted a bit when they were removed from the donor car.

AAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Back to the top
A little bit done today, with the positive comments over the last few posts I decided that I would get the wings on today.

I mounted them dry to allow later removal / fitting for a re-spray.

The off side wing went on really well with only a little tweeking to allow a decent gap by the front door. You can see the original VW / Audi mark by one of the attachment bolts.

The nearside wing though also an original wing was more difficult to fit.

I have managed to reduce the gap at the top.

A bit of a dink to straighten out.

Attached at the lower front.

Though a bit of a wrinkle at the bottom.

Finished for the day, reasonably happy.

There are too many online users to list.