Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

I have only managed the last two Saturdays this year. Last week I decided to refurb and install the heater unit:

Heater coil removed from the unit and hoses cleaned.

001-3.jpg

002-3.jpg

All the foam had deteriorated, just rubbed off with your fingers.

003-3.jpg ]

Some new foam fitted:

004-3.jpg

005-3.jpg

Heater coil reinstalled in unit

006-2.jpg

Heater unit installed

007-2.jpg

and connected to the engine cooing system

010-2.jpg

Heater controls installed

012-2.jpg

remember to fit and locate the controls to the metal support

013-2.jpg

The other end of one of the controls

016-1.jpg

plus the ductwork

006-3.jpg

007-3.jpg

The heater system is working now, all three motor speed work and no leaks apparent on the coil and hoses.

This weekend, I took the opportunty to spend sometime removing the white paint specs that were contaminating my dash by giving it a really good spring clean.

001-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

004-4.jpg

005-4.jpg

More next time.

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
A little more to report, a bit disjointed, as some was done a few weeks ago.

With respect to the dash and interior, I have repaired the ashtray fittings today, the retaining springs generally fall off so I drilled some holes and riveted the springs back on. You need to file some off the formed rivets to allow the ashtray to move in and out.

Ashtray fitted, note the radio blank.

As I want to get an MOT before respray, I have decided to fit some external items:

I bought the seals and plastic ring for the fuel filler pipe some time ago. I have used stainless steel screws to attach it to the bodywork.

Finally, had a dabble with the center console, I am going to fit additional gauges, so here is what they might look like.

Before:

after:

I am gradually getting back into it, unfortunately though nothing will be happening for a couple of more weeks do to easter and familly commitments.

Back to the top
Nice work Malcom. Dash and centre console with extra gauges looking good.

Back to the top

Back to the top
It's been a long time since my last post, unfortunately family illness has prevented me from working on th car fo some time.

I have manged to do some work over the last month including: trying to find the parts i packed, checking oil pressure, wiring in extra gauges for the centre console, fitting temporary indicators and a horn.

It is my intention to get the car MOT'd before I strip for a full respray.

I have one issue, where the the horn fit, I cannot remeber!.

Back to the top
if its dual like my cabby the bracket goes on the inner wing with the bolts for the front bumper it has little dimples that locate it on the chassis leg

Back to the top
Cheers,

that's the reason I could not find it.

I am not fitting the bumpers for MOT. I am fitting temporary indicators instead.

I have located a temporary horn in the grille area to th right of the radiator.

Back to the top
Good to see you back and working on the mk1 again. Looking forward to more updates.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Back to the top
where do you get the seals and ring from for the fuel filler?

Back to the top
Hi, I did buy them from VW, it was some time ago. Part Nos. 171 201 141 (Ring) & 171 201 119E (Foam)

To be fair you should be able to make the foam one from a third party supplier, such as hobbycraft. The black one is hard plastic and you maybe able to recover one from your own car or another car and clean it up.

When you get them, use stainless steel countersunk screws to prevent future corrosion during assembly.

Hope this helps

Back to the top
Great to see threads like this, I'm just starting my first project and it's encouraging to see posts like yours. Keep up the good work!

Lee Hartness

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments. I am gradually getting throught it though not much done last year with personnal and other commitments.

I have just looked at your project and you seem to have a good base to start. I am sure many on this site are envious. A GTI and red.

As per previous advice, get the  car sorted out first and then the engine, much of which can be done when it is out. Much of the work during restoration can rectify faults that you knew or may not have known that you had.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Only managed 2 weekends this year so far.

Some welding done on original VW wings from another car:

HPIM2908.jpg

HPIM2910.jpg

HPIM2911.jpg

HPIM2913.jpg

HPIM2918.jpg

HPIM2921.jpg

HPIM2923.jpg

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
Nice work Malcolm.  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Smudger, thanks,

Just had a look at your project, I see that you have invested much time and effort into your project.

And technically more advanced than mine with not much more room left in that engine bay!.

Back to the top
looking good buddy

Chris

Banner

Back to the top

Malcolm said

Smudger, thanks,

Just had a look at your project, I see that you have invested much time and effort into your project.

And technically more advanced than mine with not much more room left in that engine bay!.

Thanks Malcolm,

It's a bit tight in there but it should be finished by the summer.  :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.