Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

looks good Malcolm,

are you going to put the large fuel line that goes into the fuel pump through the holder above spark plug no.1?

I did this on mine because I believe it to be the original route, but I think there should be a rubber bung there to stop the fuel line rubbing which I haven't got.

Back to the top
AntF, an interesting thought , though I think you will find that it is an additional engine lifting bracket to the cast hole on the other end of the cylinder head.

If you have a look at the Haynes manual (blue) on the routine maintenance pages at the front you will see the the fuel pipe is supported by the heavy plastic clip on the cambelt cover as shown in my third photo.

I have also had a look at the Etka and cannot see any fuel line support grommet here.

Back to the top
looking good Malcolm used your special tool for fitting my downpipe yesterday and it worked a treat need to start a thread for mine as I'm just putting pics on my phone and not on here :(

Back to the top
ah I reckon you're right, nice one :) Another mystery solved

Back to the top
Woody, glad the tip worked OK and you should put your thread on here. Ideal to use a digital camera with 3meg pics, that's assuming your mobile camera does not go that high.

AntF, glad to help, as you say, mystery solved.

Back to the top
another awesome update, really do look forward to seeing your work its always a bit of an inspiration, just a shame i'm still a mile off all the engine work still. too much rust to sort.

Back to the top

Back to the top
Think I'm just licking it the rate I'm going at.

Back to the top
I received some carpets from Danbury Car Carpets, run by Terry Murphy <terrymurphy>

Decided to do a test fit.

Underfelt, some pre cust holes, fitted pretty well.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Maybe a little trimming required here.

005.jpg

006.jpg

Fitting the carpet, the side piece

007.jpg

The rear footwell vertical:

008-1.jpg

Where they join:

009-1.jpg

Fitting the front and rear footwell prompted a phone call to Terry as they had no holes for the gear stick and handbrake.

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

But they did have holes marked on the under side for standard car fit. (remember some cars have different gearboxes and modifications to seat mounts, so these areas are left uncut).

022.jpg

With some of the holes cut: the front and rear footwell sections (particularly the front) fit pretty well.

016.jpg

019.jpg

013-1.jpg

However, one shortfall, which I am sure I can sort out with Terry, the carpet does not cover the area by the side of the rear seat.

021.jpg

As stated before, this was a test fit, I did not do all the cutting I needed too, the car and me are not ready yet.

The carpet is flexible enough, without being too thin, to mould around corners. With a bit of sticky stuff here and there, they should stay in place OK

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
Just to bring this topic to a close, I did get additional carpet from Terry. The carpet is now stored away for later fitment after painting.

Back to the top
It has again been some time since my last post, things have been going slowly in a the background, I have now had the engine running for some time now.

I have had a few distractions getting a new daily driver, I decided to replace my Mk4 with a new Mk6. A big decision I know, but its lovely.

Any way a whole day today on the Mk1, I have decided to get my car through MOT to get some confidence that everything mechanically is sound with the car, maybe run it it for bit before I get it resprayed, I would hate to do some major work after respray.

So I decided to fit the dash today with the dials and the switches. I am starting to like the blue, bit it's taken some time!

You might think the pictures are bad, but I discovered today that I have some white flecks, probably paint, scattered on some the vinyl and plastic. I shall be carefully removing them in time.

001-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

008-2.jpg

Back to the top
i love the blue dash

might keep an eye out for one in the diesel to match the blue interior :)

good work

Banner

Back to the top
Astonishing work!

Back to the top
A little work done today, focused on cleaning and installing the screen wash bottle with new hose and the windscreen wiper system.

Spent most of the time trying to find them!! At the moment, I have isolated the headlamp washer circuit by installing a body grommet in the washer bottle.

Still need to find the cap for the washer bottle.

A few pictures:

003-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

005-2.jpg

Back to the top
Just spent a few hours reading all this thread, and can I say that I've never seen so much attention to detail before. This is a "proper" resto! When's it going in for a respray? Are you doing all the prepwork yourself?

Back to the top
The respray might happen next year, I want to get it all running and MOT'd before then to verify that all is well before painting.

Though I can probably do the spraying myself, I did have some training and experience in my Army aviation days, I do not have all the resources to do it myself so I will probably use a bodyshop.

Thanks for the comments.

Back to the top

engine re build

hi malcolm , just like to say ive gone through wot you have been doing on your car ,first of all i would like to say your doing a fantastic job ,iive almost finished a similar engine re build on my gti sportline did a head gasket ,drove it around for a month and the piston rings went lots of blue smoke and no compression in one cylinder ,had to re strip it and do it again ,but im impressed the way you check every little part to get a great job well done ….can i ask what high temp paint you used on the exhaust and rocker cover and the gold on the metal water pipe as i had trouble gettingwhat i wanted  ended up cleaning over and over with parafin got rid of all the muck but not quite the finish i wanted ..cheers pete

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments, things are a bit quiet at the moment with Xmas and that.

I used simoniz satin and gloss engine paint on various parts of the engine. Gloss on the rocker cover. Satin on the block.

In addition, I used gold smooth hammerite on the water pipe and engine brackets, silver hycote exhaust paint on the exhaust downpipe and back box.

Back to the top
i love the effort you're putting into this, very inspiring! i also cant believe how similar your car is to mine which is also an 83 1.5 gl (JB engine code) 5 door 4 speed in the same colour, with blue interior, would love to make mine a 5 speed like yours - as far as i can tell, the bits you need are cover/gate plate (where the gear stick pivots), small linkages by the gearbox, 5 speed mount, speedo gearbox cog, a long 5 speed linkage? and a 5 speed box…any wisdom you would car to share would be extremely useful, did you change your clutch or simply clean it up?

regards, Max

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&amp;file=viewtopic&amp;p=736555#736555

Back to the top
Hi, I think you have got it all there, sourcing the gearbox with the correct code is necessary for you to get the benefit of fitting one.

For example I had previously purchased a GTI box only to find that my new 5th gear was exactly the same gearing ratio as my original gearbox 4th gear. It would mean doing the same max speed but using 5 gears.

I chose a 4T box which came from a Mk2 4+E car. The 5th gear being an economy / overdrive gear.
If you have a look at the Gear Ratio guide on this site forum you will see what I mean.

I had the gearbox professionally overhauled and I did fit a new clutch assembly as well.

Hope this helps.
There are too many online users to list.