Skip navigation

GarytheGolf

Back to the top

GarytheGolf

Again, a very cold day on Saturday. Decided to do a couple of small jobs, the main one to refurbish the starter motor.

A picture of the starting point:

GolfMk10605.jpg

A bit of a jigsaw puzzle this, here are the items stripped down ready for painting:

gary606.jpg

Just noted that the top left item is the wrong way around.

Last edit: by Malcolm

Back to the top
The casings painted:

gary607.jpg

The starter motor reassembled after cleaning and checking all parts and lubricating the bearings.

gary609.jpg

gary610.jpg

Back to the top
Weather bad again, only a little done this weekend, Alternator this time.

Before:

gary620.jpg

Stripped, though I cannot get the front bearing off the shaft, no need to really.

gary623.jpg

Back to the top
A record of the small amount of work done last weekend, Sunday was a bit wet.

The alternator refurbished and reassembled.

gary625.jpg

gary626.jpg

gary628.jpg

Back to the top
Just read you thread and you have inspired me ,now i cant wait to rip my engine and box out.Keep up the good work.

Back to the top

Back to the top
What an inspiring thread. Just reading around because I'm about to completely gut and redo my clipper, and I have to say your work is impeccable and very impressive! What's your mechanical background?
Keep up the good work; can't wait to see more pics!!

Back to the top
Another little update:

The alternator fitted:

gary633.jpg

gary634.jpg

Starting to sort out the gearbox, I have aquired another 5 / 4 + E speed box from a Mk2 with a longer 5th gear which I am going to get reconditioned.

As much as I would like to do it myself, I have never stripped a gearbox, I would not like to put it into the car and find it was not good. I have found a gearbox reconditioning place in Salisbury via a couple of recommendations.

Original 4 speed on left, FM Code Close ratio 5 speed from Mk1 in middle, 4T Code 5 / 4+E speed from Mk2 on right.

gary630.jpg

The Mk1 & Mk2 gearboxes side by side, notice the differences in the attachments around the diff:

gary632.jpg

gary635.jpg

gary636.jpg

Off to the gearbox reconditioners in the wifes Lupo, which I think will be the next VW classic in years to come.

Unfortunately the gearbox is rattling in idle after only 20K on the clock, its a Polo gearbox, so I am also getting that checked out as well.

gary639.jpg

gary640.jpg

gary641.jpg

Back to the top
Managed to get a whole day on the car today.

Picked up the gearbox from the reconditioners on Friday, saw it in final assembly.

gary649.jpg

Removed the engine off the engine stand.

gary650.jpg

The gearbox connection plate installed.

gary651.jpg

The NOS clutch pressure plate installed.

gary653.jpg

Had a problem with the new clutch assembly, it seems my 1983 car originally had the 200mm pressure plate installed but only a 190mm friction disc fitted.

The new VW pressure plate and friction disc were 190mm, unfortunately my original release plate for a 200mm did not fit the new pressure plate for a 190mm. Hopefully you can see the difference in the retaining tang position between to the two different sizes. Original 200mm on left, new 190mm on right

gary654.jpg

So I cleaned my old pressure plate and fitted the new friction disc. It seems, stamped on the pressure plate, it will take a 200 or 190mm friction disc.

Flywheel and clutch friction disc installed.

gary657.jpg

The gearbox fitted with starter motor, engine and gearbox mounts, everything eventually nice and tight.

gary660.jpg

The clutch lever will new a coat of paint.

gary658.jpg

gary661.jpg

gary662.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow the engine and gearbox will be going in.

Back to the top
WOW, just read through every page, what an inspiration to all MK1 Golf owners hoping to do a full refurb on their own MK1, i tried to do it but my little helpers forgot to help me, i gave up at the 1st hurdle.

looking forward to the next installment.

1990 Clipper

1991 GTI Sportline

Back to the top
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I cannot fit the engine today due to unscheduled activities and I am away next weekend. It will be a few weeks until the next installment.

Back to the top
I bet they are going to be two long weeks with a lot of itchy fingers.....

Back to the top
Unfortunately, yes, though I did manage to get out and buy some oil for the engine and gearbox.

Gobsmacked with the price of oil nowadays!

Been advised to but part synthectic 10/40 for engine and gearbox. Best for low annual mileage cars.

Back to the top
Couple of weeks on and I managed to get a full day today.

Before putting the engine in I had a few issues to address, flywheel bolts, CV driveshafts and cambelt timing.

I had forgotten to loctite the Flywheel attachment bolts, so the gearbox and clutch came off again to loctite them. Note the gearbox code that nobody can find when it is dirty.

gary684.jpg

Thought I would clean the CV joints and replen with new grease. Well that went wrong, as I managed to have 4 ball bearings fall out, so I parked the job for another day.

I found that the cambelt timing issue was related to fitting the camshaft sprocket the wrong way around.

For info, both sprockets on the camshaft and intermediate shaft are the same part number and have a dot on each side of the sprocket. The dot in line with the top of the cylinder head should have both the inlet and exhaust valves closed on the compression stroke when the engine is @ TDC.

Having addressed that I was ready to put the engine in.

gary687.jpg

gary688.jpg

On the way in.

gary689.jpg

gary690.jpg

A few scratches on the way in, which can be rectified later.

gary691.jpg

Engine in.

gary704.jpg

Bottom gearbox mount. Still missing an attachment nut, I seemed to have lost it for now, for some reason a fine metric thread.

gary703.jpg

Offside engine mount.

gary701.jpg

Nearside gearbox mount

gary699.jpg

Front engine mount.

gary695.jpg

Engine covered up.

gary706.jpg

Finished for the day, it's there somewhere, honest !!

gary707.jpg

Back to the top
stunning :)

what gearbox have you ended up fitting??

i need a 5 speed for my diesel but i'm unsure of the code that i need :)

Banner

Back to the top

jellybelly said

stunning :)

what gearbox have you ended up fitting??

i need a 5 speed for my diesel but i'm unsure of the code that i need :)

Hi, a 4T from a Mk2 1.8 GL, I believe that it is also fitted to a 1.6 driver. There were 2 4T gearboxes on ebay at the time. I purchased one, here is a link to the other, still a current ebay listing:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320659590493&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I will send you a pm on the correspondance I had with the seller on its details.

Back to the top
Quite a bit of work done this weekend, managed a whole day yesterday, Saturday and this afternoon.

Apologies for some of the photographs, camera went a bit dicky, or maybe me. Lost the macro setting for a day.

Car up in the air. My favorite position!

gary730.jpg

Fitted the exhaust system.

gary708.jpg

New metal seal and clamps with sealant.

gary709.jpg

Came across an idea to fit the exhaust spring clamps using a couple of exhaust clamps, works quite well.

gary711.jpg

gary712.jpg

gary713.jpg

The middle box might have to be changed at a later date. Finally found the bottom gearbox mount large fine metric threaded nut, thought I might have to but a new one.

gary714.jpg

Connected the gearbox linkage, remember 5 speed to replace the 4 speed.

gary719.jpg

Remember to change the speedo gearbox cog from White to RED, extra tooth for 5 speed, most of them anyway.

Note the little retaining circlip / spring at the end of the drive, this prevents the cog falling into the gearbox when fitting / removing.

gary734.jpg

Also fitted the clutch cable.

gary715.jpg

gary726.jpg

I was able to get my inner CVs cleaned and regreased. Not for the feint hearted this one, thought I was not going to get the bearings back in.

Mucky job, this link really helped me out

Tom's VW Pages - CV Joint Maintenance

gary738.jpg

Reassembled correctly, notice thin inner race web to fat outer race web.

gary739.jpg

Lubricated with plenty of grease.

gary741.jpg

gary744.jpg

Extra grease in the boot

gary745.jpg

Glove comes in handy to keep clean.

gary746.jpg

CVs Ready to fit in the car, just a few bands to fit. Drove me to drink!

gary747.jpg

Back to the top
Only managed a few hours today, decided to fit the CV driveshafts.

gary748.jpg

gary750.jpg

In addition, I am retro-fitting anti roll bars from a GTI to stiffen up the ride. Front brackets installed:

gary752.jpg

gary754.jpg

Back to the top
Top work Malcolm - you'll soon be driving it in and out of that garage  :lol:

Back to the top
Love it, the only project thread I actually follow.  Keep up the good work

Alex
There are too many online users to list.