Skip navigation

Driver, to 16 valver, 2017 rebuild!

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

……….video please  :cry: .  I've watched your thread for ages and now you're not sharing… I'm telling your mum!!!

Lmao!

Been cracking on with it still, just haven't got round to it yet.

Please don't tell on me :cry:  :lol:

Umm! I'm telling on you lol!

See what I can do tonight.

I'm off to buy some daily wheels for it this weekend.

Cheers

Pete

Back to the top
you on the road yet bud?

Back to the top
vid, vid, vid, vid!!!  Hope your running now fella… any news  :lol:

Back to the top

cubed said

you on the road yet bud?

Was just thinking the same for you :wink:

No I'm having problems, and i'm having a break lol!

I think the metering head flap is getting stuck, or something, as it just cuts out as soon as I rev it up and the revs drop back down, esp worse as it comes off choke etc.

Will have a look see.

How are you getting on?

Pete

Back to the top
still no closer here either, been at work so much the alarm has flattened the battery. i'l get it on charge if and when the rain stops.
just got my wing mirrors and central locking kit too.
hopefully mot next week. fingers crossed.

i,ve got a metering head if you need one?

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

vid, vid, vid, vid!!!  Hope your running now fella… any news  :lol:

As per my last post really, lost my rag and my drive with it really, but hopefully I will sort it soon.

It's not giving up without a fight! I think it dosen't want to leave the warmth of the garage!

cubed said

still no closer here either, been at work so much the alarm has flattened the battery. i'l get it on charge if and when the rain stops.
just got my wing mirrors and central locking kit too.
hopefully mot next week. fingers crossed.

i,ve got a metering head if you need one?

Sounds like your going to beat me now,  :cry:  :lol: keep cracking on with it.

Ill let you know if I need that m/head, cheers :wink:

Pete.

Back to the top

redpetemk1 said

It's not giving up without a fight! I think it dosen't want to leave the warmth of the garage!

:lmao: ….. checky get aint it… you feed it fuel… you put a roof over it's head but as soon as you ask it to do anything it complains…. don't blame you for leaving it in the garage to "think about what it's done".  Best of luck mate hope you crack it  :wink:

Back to the top

Spudfingers said

redpetemk1 said

:lmao: ….. checky get aint it… you feed it fuel… you put a roof over it's head but as soon as you ask it to do anything it complains…. don't blame you for leaving it in the garage to "think about what it's done".  Best of luck mate hope you crack it  :wink:

Yeah it's getting the silent treatment, and the mk2 got a new set of wheels to, which are currently in the garage, thats probaly not helped the matter lol!

I give it all new anti freeze, most of that ended up on the floor about 3 times!

I feel like i'm paying for sins in a pervoius life here lol!

Back to the top
You have all the normal things to sort out, I had the same water leaks but a slightly different running problem with flames coming out the exhaust!! I'm sure you will sort it in no time!

Mars red 1982 16v KR Conversion!

View topic: My 1982 16v - The Mk1 Golf Owners Club

Back to the top
You any closer buddy? or is she still getting the cold shoulder? :lol:

Mines in for mot on wednesday so fingers cossed!!

Back to the top
lookin great come on finsh this baby

Back to the top

cubed said

You any closer buddy? or is she still getting the cold shoulder? :lol:

Mines in for mot on wednesday so fingers cossed!!

Good work, good luck with the mot :wink:

Dubwanabe said

lookin great come on finsh this baby

I know, it still not giving up……

I been thro vac lines and changed a few thing, clips and clamps everywhere, so that should stop any leaks.

Set timing with gun.

Check metering head plunger and checked the flap was centred - All good.

Checked Aux air valve is working - It is.

Checked Fifth injector is working correctly, and spraying right - It is.

Leaned the mixture right off and adjusted back from there, had it ticking over at just over a grand, and it's fine. (Running a ligthened Flywheel so had to up the revs a bit)

Sometimes you can rev it a bit and it won't cut out, just hunts for a bit then settles back to idle. Other times when I rev it to 3k, when the revs come back down it just stalls, with no attempt to idle?

Other than adjusting the mixture/idle, which I can't really properly do without a co2 meter, I don't know what else I can do?

I'm running a lightened flywheel, wondered if this might cause problems like this?

Any help would be great, need to finish my project of too many years  :roll:

Plus i've brought another mk2, and my daily mk2 gti failed it's mot ahhh! 3 cars, and not one road worthy between them :lol:

Pete.

Back to the top
This may sound a bit daft abd you may have tried it but mine was the same on two engines. It turned out to be the fuel pickup was clogging up when it was sucking then freeing again when the suction went. I pulled out the bottom of the pickup pipe and put a new fuel filter in and it idled.
I suddenly realised I could have left it as a 1.1 oh well.

Got my fingers crossed for ya bud, it'd cool if they were both done at a similar time.

Back to the top

cubed said

This may sound a bit daft abd you may have tried it but mine was the same on two engines. It turned out to be the fuel pickup was clogging up when it was sucking then freeing again when the suction went. I pulled out the bottom of the pickup pipe and put a new fuel filter in and it idled.
I suddenly realised I could have left it as a 1.1 oh well.

Got my fingers crossed for ya bud, it'd cool if they were both done at a similar time.

Where you running k'jet through a carb tank like me, using a lift pump? (Mine is a late cab lift pump).

I'm also thinking my lightened flywheel could be at fault? Maybe I need to use the mk2 isv setup with this?

Ahhh, I don't know!?

Back to the top
I,m using the original 1.1 pickup with a bike fuel pump. I'l have a look in the manual to see what your pipe is like. I'm pretty sure it has a filter on the end of the pickup pipe but I could be wrong.
Another thing that hampered mine was tiny air leaks at the pipe unions.
Nipped them right up and that cured it. I'l have a look it be nice if they hit the streets at a similar time.

Bit of a set back with mine today though. She drove wonderfully to the tuners, It really is quite fantastic driving a mk1 again especially with that engine!!( you'l love it!) Then recevied a phone call a few hours later to say that it had burst a hose on the rollers.. :banghead: The little one that links the oil cooler to the waterpump and head. Not the one really!
Oh well pipes ordered we'l see what tomorrow brings.

Back to the top
Damn pipe eh! Did you do a power run on the rollers, or were you about to?

The lift pump and filter on the end are brand new. Should be ok.

Got a good garage near work, who are really helpful so I'm looking to take it there and get it looked over etc.

I'm really looking forward to driving it as i've lost love for the mk1 recently, but driving it as you say Cubed should sort that out.

Cheers

Pete.

Back to the top
No didnt get chance to do a power run as it burst on the first go.
Its split where I had to cut it down for the new water flange from the head.

I lost the love a few times during my project but it always returns once you get into it again. like I say its so much fun to drive you'l love it!

I hope that'l inspire you a little? Gotta wait til tomorrow now cos the pipe didnt turn up,typical!

Back to the top
Ok haven't been on here in a while, but i'm still working on the mk1 and other golfs.

To update, finaly running sweet!

After having a break from the mk1 for a while I had another go fixing the idle problem and it turned out to be the mixture screw in the metering head was too low down, and causing the flap to get stuck when returing to idle, which was starving the engine of air. So I brought a Gunson Gastester from Halfrauds (Actualy works quite well), and set the co2, and timing and idle, and now it pops and bangs away lovely :D

Just sorting the inside out and then need to get it MOT'd.

Tho I have another problem with the oil buzzer constantly buzzing once you rev it over 2/3K!

Going to try some new clocks now, have changed switches, bridged them to earth etc….

Cheers

Pete.

Back to the top
Getting closer to the end then!

That buzzer problems quite common. Dunno if you know but theres loads of threads on here about it. Maybe worth a check..

Back to the top

ross_m said

Getting closer to the end then!

That buzzer problems quite common. Dunno if you know but theres loads of threads on here about it. Maybe worth a check..

Yeah nearly there, will get some pics up, but mostly its little jobs so not the most interesting pics.

Yeah I have been reading up on the buzzer etc, I have a set of single pin 16v clocks from the mk2 I broke, so going to try them out.

Need to get back in my mk1, it's nearly been 4 yours! Where does the time go 8O  :lol:

Cheers

Pete.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.