Skip navigation

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Back to the top

mcfudge said

how did you find the A pillar repair,just ive a mk1 van that needs the same repair l/r.as far as i know repair panels can't be got?

Not that I'm aware of mate, I chopped a fair amount of outer panel off and kept that to one side for reference and I had to fabricate up the inner pieces as there is a couple of layers to the inner a pillar. I managed to get a body cut from a mk1 which hadn't rotted out so used the outer a pillars from that to finish off.

Back to the top
One step forward two steps back… Although I rushed on this week getting suspension painted and sorted ready to get the wheels on today, once on I realised there was play in the new bearings in the hubs so they need to come back off and out for new ones. Absolutely gutted today so very little done apart from push the gold out for fresh air, have a tidy up and sort parts out. IMG_20190413_201320_084.jpg IMG_20190413_161807.jpg

Back to the top
Have you any pics of innner A pillar repair work 

Back to the top
A57B66DE-7EC4-447B-8ED4-2704D486BA0C.jpeg 20850FA5-70EC-460C-A34F-066CEEB35E37.jpeg

This is what I've to attack soon 

Back to the top
31E9AEA5-23B5-468D-A151-CAFA2E244A2B.jpeg 41B1F87A-EFCA-4787-AD1D-BBFC54216A6E.jpeg

Back to the top

mcfudge said

Have you any pics of innner A pillar repair work 

There's some on here on one of the pages of my build mate. I would take the outer pillar off as neat as you can to use as a reference when trying to line the new parts up

Back to the top
IMG_20190711_224039.jpg

Haven't done much lately seemed to lose motivation a little but spurred myself on this week and had a couple of hours after work twice this week. Engine bay all sanded back and ready for some epoxy primer hopefully this weekend. I forgot how much of a ball ache the prep work is with doing a resto.

Back to the top
Looking good chap.

Get that epoxy on so you don't get any flash rust. Good weather for painting though  :thumbs:

Back to the top

Rich. said

Looking good chap.

Get that epoxy on so you don't get any flash rust. Good weather for painting though  :thumbs:

Aye hoping to get it on Sunday afternoon, gave the garage a good clean let the bit dust settle before Sunday and wet the floor before I start looking forward to it.

Back to the top

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

As soon as you get some paint on it you will get your mojo again for sure. Keep up the good work and enjoy doing it in the warm weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
IMG_20190714_210820_549.jpg

Over the moon the have the engine bay filled and primed in epoxy, what a difference it makes having it all one colour. Can't wait to see it in its original oak green!

Back to the top

Colley27 said

IMG_20190714_210820_549.jpg

Over the moon the have the engine bay filled and primed in epoxy, what a difference it makes having it all one colour. Can't wait to see it in its original oak green!

Getting there now chap. What epoxy did you use and what type of paint are you going to use for the base coat?

Back to the top
It's called epoxy 989 the stuff I used and I will be using 2k paint not sure which brand yet rich

Back to the top
IMG_20200215_190736.jpg

Took the floor back to bare metal yesterday with it being sat a long time in just zinc primer wanted to strip it back and treat it with some rust treatment ready for some epoxy primer hopefully next weekend. Still chipping away slowly but surely 😂

Back to the top
What a difference seeing the floorpan in primer
IMG_20200223_195911.jpg IMG_20200223_195859.jpg

Back to the top

Colley27 said

What a difference seeing the floorpan in primer

What a difference, nice and fresh :)Keep up the good work :thumbs:

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top
After much deliberation I decided to fit another roof skin to my golf as it had rotten out around the sunroof and the cassette was scrap so after welding a plate in and realising it was going to be full of filler. I found a breaker local with a good roof skin to replace mine and this weekend dropped it in.
IMG_20200314_170739_BURST001_COVER.jpg

Back to the top

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Nice work. Jealous you have the skills and the skin to do that. I would love a new roof on mine just to delete the glass sun roof. Don’t have the money or the skills for that one though.

Back to the top

Backinblack said

Nice work. Jealous you have the skills and the skin to do that. I would love a new roof on mine just to delete the glass sun roof. Don’t have the money or the skills for that one though.

To be honest what made the decision for me was that someone was breaking one about 25 miles away so couldn't really pass it up as everything else was down country and I'm in the North East. The skin is straight forward just obviously daunting when welding but probably one of the easier jobs on the car just a case of measure multiple times before cutting.

Back to the top
Any more info/photos where you cut and welded it. something i might need to do..
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.