Skip navigation

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Back to the top
Looking good. You'll soon put your first bit of paint on and be a very proud boy  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Looking good. You'll soon put your first bit of paint on and be a very proud boy  :thumbs:

Matt

Funny enough I'm looking at primers and spray sealer today and getting excited that I can get it off the roll over jig and back on wheels to do the final panel work 👍🏽 

Back to the top
It's a great feeling when paint goes on, probably the best sign of progress possible  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Awesome work as usual. Just out of interest, how did you get the sunroof tray out of the car?

Back to the top

Saulty said

Awesome work as usual. Just out of interest, how did you get the sunroof tray out of the car?

The tray is mig welded to the inside pillars of the roof and bonded to the roof skin itself so needed to be ground off the edges and cut from the skin itself mate

Back to the top
The golf had a rear panel on at some point but didn't have much corrosion protection so I e had to use some original panel cuts to get rid of the rust on the adjoining panels to the rear panel.
IMG_3586.JPG IMG_3587.JPG IMG_3592.JPG IMG_3594.JPG IMG_3596.JPG IMG_3597.JPG

Back to the top
Good work on the rear panel  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
IMG_3605.JPG IMG_3606.JPG

Got the rear panel welded in after trying the tailgate on with locks and rear lamps. Moved onto welding in the inner arch on the passenger side once I trial fitted the outer arch

Back to the top
IMG_3640.JPG IMG_3647.JPG IMG_3648.JPG IMG_3649.JPG IMG_3650.JPG

Found a lot of filler in the passenger quarter from a previous repair years ago, hasn't helped the job but pleased the panels are in and done just square the filler work up later

Back to the top
That's looking good mate, do you have much more bodywork to do?

Back to the top
Tidy job  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I've got the drivers sill and rear quarter to be getting on with tomorrow but not going to weld the sill on until I've finished he drivers door bottom off to make sure it all fits. Then it's just the scuttle and front panel to weld in and all welding should be done 👍🏽

Back to the top
IMG_3661.JPG

Back to the top
IMG_3665.JPG IMG_3666.JPG IMG_3667.JPG IMG_3668.JPG

Had a good go at it today and got the drivers rear wheel arch welded in and ground off and carried on to get the sill ready to drop in once I've got the door repaired. Cleaned all the door apppeture, gutted rail and rear quarter appeture back to bare metal and coated with hydrate 80 as a barrier. Also cut the lower quarter glass piece out to make a replacement section.

Back to the top
You're a bit good at this bodywork malarkey!  :lol:  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Colley's 82 mk1 gti

Hairyarse said

But it may of been easier to buy new panels and build a shell from scratch by the looks of it haha. Agree very good and in a small garage also that makes it more impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top

Backinblack said

Hairyarse said

But it may of been easier to buy new panels and build a shell from scratch by the looks of it haha. Agree very good and in a small garage also that makes it more impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm too tight to do that man! 😂 To be fair the job would have been done a long time ago if I had the cash for full new panels.

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Cheers pal, I love this part of the job keeping the brain ticking the best way to fit and repair panels. Makes a difference since I fitted loads of tube lighting around the garage.

Back to the top
IMG_3684.JPG IMG_3698.JPG IMG_3699.JPG IMG_3700.JPG IMG_3701.JPG

I originally wanted to fit an aftermarket scuttle panel from heritage but when I tried it on to line up with the original bonnet the gaps were horrible it was toching the bonnet in the middle section and a decent wide gap on the two outer edges. So I sourced a cut of a pillars and scuttle from another motor and just used the outer edges of the replacement panel.

Back to the top
Tidy repairs. That's starting to take shape now! :thumbs:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.