Skip navigation

Campaign 'woken up'. - out again for 2018 and meets my latest Golf

Back to the top
Thanx for that mate :thumbs:

171761 views (107 Kb)

Back to the top
Great news on the MOT pass.  Your car looks stunning.

Back to the top
Took it out for a more spirited drive across the Peak District today and the back tyres rubbed a few times when going I over some bad dips in the road.  I have had some vibration at about 40mph from the tyres but today came back on the dual carriageway and at just over 70, all hell broke loose and the car felt like it was going to shake itself to pieces.  I think the BBS may be more than just out of balance and could be buckled.

Got home and put the Pirelli's back on and the car felt transformed.  Not sure what to do with the BBS now , will see how much to get fixed - they look so much better, but even when fixed I think will spoil the ride comfort ( what there is of it).

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
That's a shame but at least you got another drive in!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Great news Richard! Fancy coming out for a spin with us Sunday to the Derby/Notts meet?
Might be able to help with the wheels, just had some done at The Wheel Centre in Burton:thumbs:

Staffordshire Regional Host support

Banner

Back to the top

CabrioAnna said

Great news Richard! Fancy coming out for a spin with us Sunday to the Derby/Notts meet?
Might be able to help with the wheels, just had some done at The Wheel Centre in Burton:thumbs:

Yes, do you mean at the John Thompson?. My wife might be out at work in the evening so can probably only do an hour or so, but good to meet everyone.

With the wheels I have decided to get some others, as well as the issues with vibrations, even if I get them fixed they will still rub at the back even with nobody in the back seat, tried to take it with the kids out on Sunday and they rubbed lots of times.

Just got some Mk2 Golf BBS RAs which are guaranteed not to be buckled and with almost new michelins 185/55s all round! for £150.  Just need a little kerbing touching in, but might paint them all once I have seen them.

Might be with the Pirelli's on on Sunday still

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Gave the BBS RA's I picked up this week a quick refurb. Don't look quite as good as the RZ's but quite classical. more importantly they don't rub with anyone in the back and the steering feels better, less tramlining. Not sure if to get the RZ's fixed and sell them or sell them as they are.

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Ra's look great mate :wub:

Back to the top

Melteddrummer said

Seconded  :thumbs:

Car looks great

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Melteddrummer said

Seconded  :thumbs:

Car looks great

Matt

Thirded  :wub:  :thumbs:

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
RIGHT GUYS NEED YOUR HELP - HAS MY ENGINE BLOWN?

I have a serious problem and have no idea what has happened, so hoping someone can give some ideas.

If you bear with me i'll try and give you the full story.  I have done about 300 miles in the car since getting it running with out issue. Two weeks ago just srriving home and the oil pressure light and warning buzzer came on - i was only doing 30 mph so stopped straight away.  Left a minute or so, started up and drove the last 1/2 mile home without any issue.  When i had been out that day, there was a really annoying rattle behind the dash and just before i think the warning buzzer came on i had been hitting the dash to try and stop it.  With having issues before with the clocks and warning lights thought it might be an electrcal issue, took clocks out & put all back togeher again.

Went out in car did about 20 miles all fine, got home put car back in garage and left it for a week.

Last friday started car up, drove out of garage and parked on drive and oil pouring out of the oil cooler.  Not sure why it the oild was circulating through the cooler as it was stone cold.  Anyway decided to get a new cooler and seals.

Fitted the cooler on tuesday night,lefft car in garage as it was raining and  ran the engine between tick over and 2500 rpm for 20 mins to try and get oild hot enough to circulate round the cooler, but despite time could only get temp to get to 80 deg, and the oil cooler pipes were still cold.  Anyway no leaks so all seemed fine,

Tonight jumped into car started up and onto drive and it happend again - oil pouring out of new cooler.  I have taken it off a couple of times in case was not sealing properly but still no success.  Reving the engine, the oil came out quicker and with some air bubbles.  Took off oild filler cap and oil was spraying round, but seemed like quite a biy of air blowing out of filler cap.

Phone Ross Irvive who suggested taking off oil breather pipe going to air filter  which i did and a few seconds later the oil stopped coming out of the cooler.  However, noticed oil pressure light was flashing. Topped up oil but still flashing and buzzing over 2500rpm, but with breather disconected still, no oil leaking out.  Checked breather pipe but no blockage, however Ross though there shoudl be a gauze filter in the pipe but there is nothing there.

So, there we have it - can anyone point us in the right direction prior to me getting Ross over to have a look in the next couple of weeks?  - At the moment though I seriously feel like putting it up for sale!!!

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Hi,

I had a problem with my oil pressure sensor many years ago, came on when I was travelling at about 70mph!.

It turned out to be a faulty sensor in the end. The way I tackled  this was to fit an oil pressure gauge. This showed I had good oil pressure and the sensor was at fault ?

You are always going to get a run of problems with a car thats been laid up for so long, and some of these are only going to come to light after a few miles. I've had plenty with mine over the past few years. Just remember its not your everyday car. If it starts to get too annoying, put it back in the garage and leave it until the mood takes you to look at it. That's what i do.

Good luck

Back to the top
Hi,

whereabouts is the oil cooler leaking, is it from the pipes attached to the oil filter housing. Just wondering if there could be something blocking the internals of the housing, causing high pressure on the pipes (hence the leak) and low pressure to the pressure switch hence the warning buzzing etc?

There is a plate that is bolted to the end of housing, I think there is a spring\piston behind this if you take it apart? Maybe that is stuck or blocked, worth takin a look there first ?

Back to the top
It is coming directly from the fins on the oil cooler, same for the old one and the new one I have fitted.

I have been searching through all the posts in the engine section -got right back to 2009 at the moment, and is wonder if it could be the oil pump. I have read there is a pressure regulator built in, which might explain excessive pressure one minute when it blows a hole in a weak part, ie the oil cooler and then when I relieved the pressure by taking off oil breather pipe and undoing filler cap the pressure then switched to its low current state?

your theory on the valve which opens the oil flow to the cooler could explain why the oil flows to that when cold, or could that also be being forced open by excessive oil pressure?

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Undoing the filler cap or breather pipe does nothing in this situation.
It does sound like Oil pressure regulator is sticking in the pump.

Any excess pressure behind the cap is down to piston to bore wear.

Back to the top
Ok,

if both oil coolers are leaking from the fins, that suggests to me that oil is able to flow into the oil cooler but is being blocked on its way out?

High pressure is building up in the cooler and finding the weakest way out?

Back to the top
Could be worth checking the oil pump , …but also have you used a genuine oil filter , ?  Because I seem to remember that non genuine filters can be missing a pressure release valve that would cause problems 

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top

mk1jim said

Could be worth checking the oil pump , …but also have you used a genuine oil filter , ?  Because I seem to remember that non genuine filters can be missing a pressure release valve that would cause problems 

Thanks Jim, it was a Bosch filter, so I was hoping this was okay. Tomorrow going to take off Rocker cover and clean out the breather gauze, might help but think I will then get an oil pump and another oil cooler ! As presuming this has split unless anyone has any more ideas?

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Can't help I'm afraid Rich other than give moral support from a distance.

PLEASE don't sell it though, it's 'just' nuts n bolts so can be fixed and I think you'd seriously regret it if you sold it ;)

Andy

1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Can't help I'm afraid Rich other than give moral support from a distance.

PLEASE don't sell it though, it's 'just' nuts n bolts so can be fixed and I think you'd seriously regret it if you sold it ;)

Couldn't agree more.

You will seriously regret it mate if you sell. You've got a corker of a car there mate :thumbs:
There are too many online users to list.