Skip navigation

Buddy MK1

Back to the top

1983 Pirelli Edition

Got some polo 6n adjustable height seats in the garden if you need to harvest some subrames / parts

Back to the top
New page......

Back to the top
Spent most of Sunday tinkering with the engine bay. I received a delivery from Auto Silicon Hoses for most of the remaining pipes and hoses I need. 

First up was completing the intercooler pipework to the throttle body. For this I used a 45* off the intercooler into a 90* ally bend to the throttle body.

I also got a few parts back from the powdercoaters. I decided to ditch the wrinkle finish and opted for a slightly textured powdercoat. This is consistent on the camcover, inlet manifold and the RSs.

Next up was the TIP. There isnt a great deal of space off the turbo and around the feed to the heater matrix. I have opted for a 45mm to 51mm 90* reducer directly off the turbo, then into a 51mm to 63mm 90* reducer. I stupidly forgot to order the 51-63mm 90* so will have to get that ordered today. From there I am then following an S shape to mimic the other pipe. A friend is kindly going to make up a flange so I can house the MAF sensor in line and ditch the main housing. This will save having to step the pipework up and having extra joins/ silicon couplers etc.

I still need to order a filter or some sort and wort out exactly how I am going to fit the DV. My corrent thoughts are to house it towards the front of the bay where the TIP meets the filter and the other pipe swoops round the radiator.

I also managed to get the fuel lines run up through the bay. I have used lines from a mk4 under the car and have used the mk4 90* connectors to join them to braided lines.

And finally I picked up a new dipstick

And this as far as I got yesterday.

Back to the top
Looks excellent mate!  :thumbs:

What have you used on the inlet manifold to go to the intercooler? Is all your IC pipework 63mm?

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top

Joe90k said

Looks excellent mate!  :thumbs:

What have you used on the inlet manifold to go to the intercooler? Is all your IC pipework 63mm?

Thanks bud. Yes all my pipework is 63mm.

Back to the top
stunning colour mate, and a great build so far  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Thanks guys.

Camber adjusting topmounts arrived yesterday so I popped round to the unit after work and fitted them. I have heard mixed reviews about Silver Project products but these seem pretty solid.

I also managed to run the front brake lines. I drilled a couple of holes through the bulkhead and ran them under the chassis legs. I have fitted some grommets to protect the lines and will wrap them in some tape to hide them a bit better.

My buddy Jay also got the rear brake assembly back on. New pads and discs and cleaned up calipers/ carriers.

Back to the top
Adjustable mounts look nice  :thumbs:

Does the shock absorber just screw into the bearing at the top, then you bolt it to the strut tower?

Front hub set up looks great  :wub:

Matt

Back to the top

pazwaa said

Adjustable mounts look nice  :thumbs:

Does the shock absorber just screw into the bearing at the top, then you bolt it to the strut tower?

Front hub set up looks great  :wub:

Matt

Thanks Matt.

Yes exactly like that. Im guessing its going to be a bit of a harsher ride seeing that you dont have the rubber topmount.

Back to the top
I've bought some top mounts as well, and was wondering if you need a poly bush at the top. Would make sense to have a bit of cushioning.

Anyone else gone this route?

Back to the top
:wub:

83 MK1 Golf 1.3 CL

Back to the top
Not too much to shout about but got a couple of bits done over the weekend.

I had a rear brace made up. The beauty of being a CAD technician is I can draw up what I need and have our fabricator bloke make it up.

13378728053_37fe9ea7b9_c.jpg

13378586215_3a13e9a4e2_c.jpg

Some more pipes turned up so I got the rad hoses trimmed, joined and in place.

13378943744_edded63d97_c.jpg

13378943454_021463337a_c.jpg

RSs are now rebuilt. To clear the front calipers I am having to use 12mm spacers. This gave way too much poke so I rebuilt the wheels with the centres facemounted.

13378727863_e94b3d8cb9_c.jpg

and finally I made a start on the headlight loom. The original one had been chopped about quite a bit so I popped down to the scrappy and picked up a second loom. This one was in much better condition so hopefully I can make one good one out of the two.

13378586545_3771406e50_c.jpg

Back to the top
Finally got some tyres on the wheels at the weekend.

13532199674_9723a59f0c_c.jpg

13531885615_71fc8b6497_c.jpg

13531987733_2fe3afd3b0_c.jpg

Got a Jetex 2.5" stainless steel exhaust

13531882845_8cfb4a3ab2_c.jpg

13531889225_e8186e7241_c.jpg

Positioned my DV ports and custom MAF flange that Alex very kindly made up for me   wub.png

13531881725_ae16fdafcf_c.jpg

13532207534_6768d4827f_c.jpg

13532206654_9eec640c49_c.jpg

Headlight loom is now extended, tidied and tucked away. Just need to wrap it up then I can carry on with the engine loom.

Popped the front bumper back on.

13600425934_b0feb1c960_c.jpg

Back to the top
love this built mate, kudos to ya  :thumbs:  

Back to the top
Had a few small parcels arrive at work yesterday:

Vac feeds for the N75 valve

13714509924_f50940e62c_c.jpg

Fuel cap decal

13714150093_02cc277593_c.jpg

Stainless front plate holder

13714150073_d788e33275_c.jpg

Also been cracking on with the wiring. Going to have the battery in the spare wheel well so made up a false floor to bolt the bracket to.

13714150333_8cbee52037_z.jpg

Picked up the front wheels which now have 165/45/15s on them. The slightly smaller profile helps to get that extra bit of clearance up front.

13714150433_145ac4356b_c.jpg

13714149673_9494d88dc5_c.jpg

13714508724_6eb67eeac2_c.jpg

Back to the top
that is a lot of stretch, nice ride though

Back to the top
you using mdf in the boot mate?

Back to the top

browner01 said

you using mdf in the boot mate?

yes bud. I made up a false floor to cover the boot and rear seat blank.

Back to the top
very nice :cool:

Back to the top
So as I'm sure most of you have done, I spent most of the long bank holiday down working on the car. 

I never thought that the loom would take quite as long as it is. I didnt want to go for a complete loom tuck but just keep things clean and tidy. Within the bay I stripped off all the old factory tape so I could extend the odd bit here and there. First up was the injector loom. I wanted to run this under the inlet manifold so extended each feed to the injectors then tucked all of the wires in some conduit.

Coilpack loom feeds over the gearbox and up behind the TIP.

I was planning to have the battery in the spare wheel well but decided to have it up behind the passenger taillight so it is more accessible

I knocked up a quick little bracket which should hold it in place nicely. I need to add a T on the end of the longest section so it can bolt onto the two rear bumper mounting bolts.

I then ran a feed to the ground position in the boot and a feed up to a distribution block under the fuse board. From here I then took a feed to the fuse box and a feed through the bulk head and onto the starter motor. This then linked across to the alternator.

Next up was trying to work out what to do with the brake/ clutch fluid reservoirs. I had already purchased some pots from Rally Design but they arent the nicest things to look at. I knocked up a quick little bracket which houses two reservoirs and mounts to the original wiper motor bracket. Certainly not a finished item but it gives me an idea as to how it could look.

They dont look too bad once the scuttle tray is in but im still going to keep an eye out for something that is more aesthetically pleasing.

Next up were the pipes I mocked up and had welded for my TIP. I got these back last thursday to set about fitting them. There are a couple of bits that need tidying up but Im pretty happy with how they sit. Still cant make my mind up if I like the filter I bought.

And finally I decided to unbox my new carpets from Newton Commercial and slid them into position. Its amazing how some carpet can make a car feel and look more complete. Despite installing some Silent Coat on the floorpans I still need to get some underlay to help add some more padding.

And then the false floor in the back and a seat.

As I had finished the majority of the loom I decided to connect the battery and see if things worked. I was a great sense of achievement to see light working!

I was pretty tired and hungry by then so packed things up and called it a day. Hopefully there shouldn't be too much more to do now. I need to rebuild the sunroof as one of the mechanisms has broken, then there are a few more bits in the bay to finalize/ connect then I can look to try and fire it up. Exciting stuff

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.