Looks loverly bud  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Oops another page…..you know the drill  :lol:

Back to the top
updates Rich?

Back to the top

olethalb said

updates Rich?

not a lot to report. I have arranged for the mk1 to be dropped off tomorrow morning. Thankfully I have tomorrow and all of next week off so I can crack on with getting everything back in/ on the car.

I have made some progress with the door pockets. I made the drivers side about 10 months ago and finally got round to making the passenger side last weekend.

Once they were all cleaned up I dropped them round to Neil at Carbon Motive who flocked them for me. If any of you are looking for someone to flock some bits for you then give him a shout Carbon Motive

My ECS shallow sump also finally turned up. Only took a month lol

It came complete with new pick up, new seals/ gaskets, new bolts, sump sealer and a magnetic sump plug with copper washers.

Old and new. The new one has a steel base which should hold up better to any bumps or smacks.

More to come tomorrow once I get it back

Back to the top
Those door pockets look excellent!  :cool:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Nice work there bud  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Whoop! looking forward to seeing this come back Rich, you're going to be a very busy boy!!!

Thanks for the link on the flocking, they will look at home in Buddy  :)

Back to the top
Those pockets are cool  :thumbs:  what are they made from?

Matt

Back to the top
Awesome build man! Can't wait to see the end result :)

Back to the top
Exciting times

Back to the top
Loving the sump matey. Lovely bit of kit. Did it come direct from ECS in America? If so did you get whacked for import tax?

Smudger

Back to the top
you can get them over here from awesome and the likes or direct from vw, they're an american beetle sump as far as i remember  :)

Back to the top
Had this week off work so was able to crack on and make some good progress on the mk1.

The week started by getting it back from paint. A quick trip back down the road and it was home.

First job was to run the fuel lines and get the fuel tank back in thanks to a helping hand from my buddy James.

Then onto the front arb. I fitted new bushes and outer clamps

There is a bit of overspray then I need to tidy up.

Next up was steering column and steering rack. Before I could get the column back in I had to make up a bracket to house the accelerator pedal.

Along with the new steering column boot I also fitted a new heater matrix boot which I got off Olly.

Then we dropped the engine into place. The first job was to change the driveshafts cups on my 02J box to accommodate the 100mm driveshafts.

Plenty of blue tape to help protect the paint

And its in!

Im still waiting to get a load of parts back from powdercoating. All the bits I painted in black wrinkle paint are getting a freshen up.

I then got my boost pipe, radiator and intercooler put in place. 

This let me work out exactly which other pipes and hoses I needed. I placed and order for these parts which was nearly £200  :wacko:

Next up were front brakes. This was the first time I have fitted the wilwoods with the RSs. Because the wilwoods are so thick Im going to have to space the fronts and facemount the centers. They sat like this when sandwich mounted and on a 12mm spacer:

And like this with the centers face mounted:

Next was the gear linkage, I had both and 02A and an 02J linkage but opted to go with the 02J linkage. I removed the original shifter plate and after a bit of trimming and two new mounting holes, the 02J tower was bolted in.

Final bit of progress was on the interior loom which was in a rite state. Whoever installed the old 16v had done some dodgy wiring with a distinct tack of protecting the solders. I chopped out what wasnt needed and tidied up any exposed joins/ bare wires. once its sat in place tomorrow night I will get it wrapped up in fabric tape.

Back to the top
Lovely  :wub:

Back to the top
Wow, amazing progress being made  :thumbs:

Paint looks fantastic. Wiring looks a nightmare, but sure you've got it in hand.

The price of the rebuild can get a bit scary, so many small, expensive parts required that soon add up to a fortune  :P

Back to the top
Nice job, the shell looks great and the engine sits well in place.

That wiring looked scary!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
laid down a some more silent coat last night and also got one of the seats in. Still worried that it sits a little too high so I may have to readdress the runner design.

13103435683_c89a75f507_c.jpg

13103329305_a70781c8d5_c.jpg

Back to the top
Not sure about it seating too high, but the seat looks great  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Great progress! Really excited to see this finished

'82 c formel e - 1.8t 20v 

Back to the top
yummey!!  :cool:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.