Skip navigation

A582HLN Hillclimb 16v

Back to the top
Well i bought the Mk1 a while ago with the intention of using it to compete in the Scottish Hillclimb Championship B2 class. So far its been great and instantly faster than my old A2 Clio which i used to win the road class last year. It does require a few tweeks to get it competitive in this class but overall it is not that far off the pace.

Anyway here is a brief spec and some pics.
1.8 16v KR some forged goodies inside and running GSXR ITB's currently around the 200bhp mark

Peloquin ATB diff in a mk2 8v box with 4:2 final drive

Exe-tc one off coilovers.

Big 305mm Tuthill porsche C12 brakes

No interior and plastic windows.

Small problem just after purchase!, all sorted now.

Back to the top
Nice looking hill climber what's the tweeks you gotta make for it to be better?

Banner

Back to the top
Its needs a suspension overhaul and stiffening up a bit. I'm also going to be fitting a JMR gear selector.

Long term i would like to go down the berg cup route but not sure its the right thing to do as the shell is so mint it would be a shame to cut into the arches.

Back to the top

Back to the top
 :wub: lovely. 

Back to the top
Thanks for sharing. You sounded pleased at the end of the video! :-D

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Which suspension setup are you thinking of going for?

I like the look of the bc racing coilovers.

Back to the top
Yeah i like the look of BC stuff especially the strut body adjustment as well as spring height.

So i made the long trip south and attended a trackday at Anglesey recently . It was a hell of drive there and back with my Caddy on towing duties but definitely worth the trip. Its a very demanding track compared to my local Knockhill, The afternoon Coastal track setup was my preferred option which seemed to suit the FWD machines a little better.

Much tyre slaying fun was had

The next event for me and probably the last for this year was the penultimate round of the British Hillclimb Championship at Doune.

I borrowed some slicks from the B2 class winner this year to get used to them before i bite the bullet next year. Wow they have seen a full season and more and still worked very well on the Golf, it took me a while to get my head round the grip level and push myself that bit further it didn't help that i had a bad vibration coming from the front all weekend which had me dismantle half the suspension to see if my rose joints where goosed but all looked ok and in the end i just had to drive through it. 

Sat practice saw a 51:46 as fastest time for me which is way off my PB of 50:29. Sun was better as i ended up with a 50:54 still shy of my PB and most annoyingly still not in the 49's. 

So a lot of work to do suspension wise over the winter and hopefully get into the proper B2 times.

In Good company

Trying a little too hard!

Too much scrubbing going on though!.

Back to the top
Great thread, great pics. That's some serious tyre scrubbing! Lol

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Now that looks like fun!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.