Skip navigation

82 mars red GTI

Back to the top

The little GTI, 82 mars red mk1

Wow that is sure is some major surgery. Looking great. Those guys really know what their doing.  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Cheers :).

Had some more parts plated. Really happy with the door locks didn't think they'd come up that well!

And got the hubs built up ready to fit.

Back to the top
plated and rebuilt parts looking good  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Wow looks like new mate. well done.  :thumbs:

MK1CRAZY YAHOOOOO!!!!!

Back to the top
Cheers :).

These arrived last week! Won't be long before there needed hopefully! -KW v2's

And theres a update on the shell, the replacement roof is now on the car! The sunroof tray from the original roof was rotten at the front drainage points and the tray from the replacement roof was rotten at the back drainage points, so Retropower cut them both in half and welded the 2 halfs together to form a good tray. Still needed a small amount of repairs doing to the front corners but now its all solid and welded back in place on the roof. The replacement roof was then fitted on the car. They're hoping to have all the metalwork completed by the end of January and then its paintwork time! :cool:.

Back to the top
looking good mate. Loving the coillies!!

Back to the top
hmmm my roof is in need of similar, i was wondering if a mk2 tray might fit or be adapted as the sunroof and mech are the same as the mk1 so would suspect the sunroof splash tray is too, and newer so less rot. ???

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Thanks!

I thought about the mk2 tray but I wasn't sure if they was the same. I'm guessing a mk2 one would fit with a bit of modification, can't be that different? I've seen a couple of rotten mk2 trays but the majority seem good. Thinking about it I might have seen a build thread on here where someone repaired there roof using a mk2 roof?

Back to the top
sounds like the bodyshop is doing a top job. coilovers look very nice  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Yes they are, really pleased with all the work they've done so far! :)Went to see the shell today and got a couple of photos of the roof fitted.

Back to the top
Small update on this, drivers sill has been replaced properly and work has been done to tidy up the rear 1/4 where it was badly fitted by the other bodyshop. The drivers door also now lines up perfect with the 1/4 panel after some work to the B pillar.

I couldn't get a genuine sill for this side so I supplied them a repro one which they stamped the swage line into to make it look like a genuine panel.

Section cut from the spare rear end I supplied, to neaten up the back edge that was a total mess before from badly fitting the 1/4 panel

Also got a new oil cooler for Christmas so bolted it to the bracket with new fixings.

Roughly 2 more weeks worth of welding and it will be painting time! :cool:

Back to the top
Keep at it - your getting there :thumbs:

Back to the top
Very tidy work! I like the swage line stamped in to the sill panel  :thumbs:

I put a VWH sill panel on my MK1 last year. I was pleased with the fit and quality but like you, found the swage line to be somewhat lacking. I didn't have the facility to stamp one in properly though so left it as-is  :(

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top

Hairyarse said

Very tidy work! I like the swage line stamped in to the sill panel  :thumbs:I put a VWH sill panel on my MK1 last year. I was pleased with the fit and quality but like you, found the swage line to be somewhat lacking. I didn't have the facility to stamp one in properly though so left it as-is  :(
That's my pet hate with MK1 replacement panels, Sills IMO look terrible if they have been replaced as they don't look anything like the standard ones. i have some NOS ones just in case i ever need to swap mine.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Cheers guys, Thats the problem with the repro sills, you can always tell they've been changed, better than rotten sills though. Thinking of taking them another pair of sill to put the swage line into for my other mk1 when the time comes.

Back to the top
It's been a long time coming but it's finally ready for underseal and paint prep

Back to the top
Great Work  :thumbs:

Determination and resilience personified!  :king:

Do you have any idea how much the shell has cost you to get it to this stage?

Regards

Back to the top
Top coat soon then!  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Thanks, I could add up the invoices to find out but I don't think I want to know! :lol:.

Yes Andy, hoping to get it home before Christmas but we'll see how things progress, got to crack on and get the rear beam ready now!

Back to the top
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Yep that's the way!

Like every enthusiast its never about the money, but I just thought I'd ask  :lol:  :lol:

My family think I'm crazy but its  :wub:
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.