Skip navigation

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion (wide arched)

Back to the top

82 Cabriolet S3 TFSI TSR conversion

beany1234 said

Dam I was going to leave about 10:30 11ish and take a slow drive as not done many miles since doing my engine bay yea I've got a spot inside. Cool okay mate
Will catch you there then dude ! Thought they'd of been a bit more generous on letting the outdoor cars in. Hopefully I can get it prepped before they open the doors  :o 

Ad. 

Back to the top
Cool okay I'll probably be on the mk1 owners club stand by then. I would of thought your car would of got an indoor space how nice it looks

Back to the top
I applied back in November and got no response and then I re-applied the Thursday before they stopped taking entry's. If they were going to put it inside they would have probably been sorted by then. 

Back to the top
Not posted an update in a while as haven't really done a great deal else to the car since the start of show season. I've got some plans for the car over the next few months, and in going to see somebody about some work I'm having done this happened :'( IMG_4632.JPG IMG_4634.JPG

I went over a speedhump and caught the sump which cracked it and it developed a slow leak :o i noticed the engine making a funny ticking after about 50 miles of driving and noticed that my oil pressure had dropped to about 20 from 60 !
 I pulled over straight away and saw that oil was pumping out of the bottom of the sump ! I don't think I've damaged the engine as there was still a fair bit of oil left in it.
So I went to take off the sump today and thought it'd be a quick fix by swapping the sump…………. yeah right O_o  I undone all of the sump bolts and disconnected anything that was attached and thought that was it. I tried to get the sump of and couldn't shift it. I then noticed two bolts still stuck in up behind the 02a box :( So what was supposed to be a quick fix, now means i have to take the box off :(

Back to the top
You should be able to get at those bolts with a 5mm ball end Allen key.

How is it driving other than that?

Have you considered doing a 1.8T oil pump conversion?

Back to the top

I can't get to them with a ball end mate as I tried earlier . The car was driving fine it had just started tapping, so I presumed the oil in the head was running low.
 I haven't thought about the 1.8T pump mate. What's the benefits ?

Ad.

Back to the top
Nightmare mate, is there not a shallow steel sump available for the 2.0 TFSI? I did this on my 1.8T and it's definitely a worthwhile upgrade just for the peace of mind.

The amount of marks I had on my old sump was silly and my car is not low at all! I was paranoid of slow leaks destroying the engine without the steel sump…

2018 Up! GTi 1.0 TSI
2015 Mk7 Golf R 2.0 TSI 4motion DSG
2011 Caddy Maxi Kombi 1.6 TDi
1982 Mk1 Golf GTi 3 Door 1.8t - Build Thread

Back to the top

I've looked and can't find a shallow sump for the tfsi yet I suppose there isn't that many conversions at the moment that warrant the sump.
 Mine is pretty scraped up and like you said mines not that low either.
 Really tall engine for the mk1 so I'd imagine a shallow sump will be available in the next couple years or so.
 It's just another job to the list of things to do !!

Back to the top

So today I tackled the sump ! What I thought would be a simple fix has turned out to be a gearbox of job as two bolts were in behind the flywheel.

I tried a ball end hex but it just kept slipping and didn't want to round the bolts so decided the best bet was to tackle the box.  
 I managed to get it off fairly easily by myself

This was the sump where it had cracked.

Decided on buying a genuine new sump instead of quick fixing it like a few had mentioned. Here it is fitted. I've got to clean up the underside as oil has traveled to the backbox and I've still got to refit the box which I'll hopefully get done on Sunday now.

Back to the top
Nice work there mate

Banner

Back to the top
So with show season just around the corner now, all things are go !!  The car has gone up to OCD for the air build today and can't wait to see if they come through with the idea I have in mind as it's a bit different than just your average install.
  I also managed to pick up a NOS bonnet catch and had it chromed for the nice tidy sum of £22 :cool: £12 for the catch from eBay and £10 to have it chromed.
I've just got the new radinox front lips left to fit and a little bit of paintwork to get done and I think thats pretty much it for the car until show season.  :) Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 21.24.59.png

Back to the top
So the car has been away for a few months having the air ride installed.  I opted to use Only Charged Dubs up in Doncaster and I can't recommend them enough.
 I went with the Airdynamiks struts and Airlift 3H management.
 I'm really impressed by the work OCD did with the install and brought my vision to life.
 I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking  :)
IMG_3472.jpg IMG_3472.jpg IMG_3472.jpg

Back to the top
So the car has been away for a few months having the air ride installed.  I opted to use Only Charged Dubs up in Doncaster and I can't recommend them enough.
 I went with the Airdynamiks struts and Airlift 3H management.
 I'm really impressed by the work OCD did with the install and brought my vision to life.
 I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking  :)
IMG_3472.jpg IMG_3472.jpg IMG_3472.jpg

Back to the top
Now that is the boll#cks :thumbs:

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf

Back to the top
This is a really nice cab!

Back to the top
Beautiful :thumbs:

Back to the top
Great effort ! The car looks fantastic. :wub:

I'm preparing to refurb my cab's interior and I'm curious as to how many metres of material you needed to recover the seat swabs and door cards?

The leather seat bolsters look great and will solve the age old problem of worn driver side repairs. :thumbs:

Back to the top
just had a read through the thread while am bored at work, looks like a pretty epic journey with a cracking end result.

Back to the top

Panch_mk1golf said

This is a really nice cab!

scottyr1 said

Now that is the boll#cks :thumbs:

soft84 said

Beautiful :thumbs:

easternkris said

just had a read through the thread while am bored at work, looks like a pretty epic journey with a cracking end result.

Thanks guys !! Really happy with where the car is at the moment  :$

ConvictGTI-No.1983EW said

Great effort ! The car looks fantastic. :wub:

I'm preparing to refurb my cab's interior and I'm curious as to how many metres of material you needed to recover the seat swabs and door cards?

The leather seat bolsters look great and will solve the age old problem of worn driver side repairs. :thumbs:

I think about 5 - 6 metres were used, but that was having the door cards done as well.

Back to the top
So the car managed to leave me stranded once again  :lol: Only about a mile from home, but took 3 hours to get recovered  O_o  The car spluttered and died as I was going down the A5 and fuel pump came to mind after it had previously had a similar problem while it was at my house.
 Last time i had the problem it turned out to be a loose ignition connection onto the back of the fusebox and I thought that it'd be the same problem.
  So after 40 minutes of being upside down and on my back in the footwell I gave in and called for recovery.
  I managed to get it home and sorted the problem the same day. It turned out that the fuse had come loose in the holder for the fuel pump and wasn't making a good connection.  When I pulled the fuse out it looked pitted. I then looked at the holder and it had started to melt slightly.
  I have changed the fuse from a 20amp to a 15amp and have had no Issues. Hopefully the fuse will blow next time it has any issues !
 Just glad that it happened now and not on the way to any shows  :lol: IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0365.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.