Skip navigation

4dr Scrap car going full restore + 3,2 24V engine

Back to the top

Just another never ending money pit.

Yes you need the connector aswell. I already had that form the scrapyard :)

Yes im'm using the eurowise kit with stage 1 bushing. I was also i doubt if it was mount related, but i can't remember it being so bad before the new flywheel and clutch was installed.

I have a strange felling about the rear engine mount design, I don't like the fact that there is a bolt connecting the gearbox and car directly and only rubber around. Thought about changing that in some way, maybe that could solve the vibration.

Back to the top

Hummel said

Yes you need the connector aswell. I already had that form the scrapyard :)

Yes im'm using the eurowise kit with stage 1 bushing. I was also i doubt if it was mount related, but i can't remember it being so bad before the new flywheel and clutch was installed.

I have a strange felling about the rear engine mount design, I don't like the fact that there is a bolt connecting the gearbox and car directly and only rubber around. Thought about changing that in some way, maybe that could solve the vibration.

Hi Tommy,

Did you see my private message?

Cheers

Rich

Back to the top
I came across this thread when when googling "golf mk1 chassis repair" and I was thrilled to see it turned out very nice.

I'm knee deep in a journey similar to yours - or maybe even with a worse starting point :oFeel free to tag along in https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fgolf-gti-special-83 and give me some pointers (or even better - come visit me in Norway for a month or two and help me out :))

Oh - and do you happen to have a drawing for your rollover jig? I definitely need one ;)

Back to the top

espenlg said

I came across this thread when when googling "golf mk1 chassis repair" and I was thrilled to see it turned out very nice.

I'm knee deep in a journey similar to yours - or maybe even with a worse starting point :oFeel free to tag along in https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fgolf-gti-special-83 and give me some pointers (or even better - come visit me in Norway for a month or two and help me out :))

Oh - and do you happen to have a drawing for your rollover jig? I definitely need one ;)

You really dont need a drawing to pout a roll over jig together mate :) I made mine in free hand. Just two Square beams on a pipe with a smaller pipe inside. Mmm okay it is a bit hard to write, but really it is just to do it. And it made the rust repairs so much easier!

Back to the top

Hummel said

You really dont need a drawing to pout a roll over jig together mate :) I made mine in free hand. Just two Square beams on a pipe with a smaller pipe inside. Mmm okay it is a bit hard to write, but really it is just to do it. And it made the rust repairs so much easier!

I'll give it a try! Do you happen to know aprx what center of gravity would be? Is it like xx cm above or below the front bumper mounts?

Back to the top
Mine in made to be aprox. 15 cm below bumber mounts, but it is a bit too much for center of gravity, so maybe 10 cm :)

Back to the top

Hummel said

Mine in made to be aprox. 15 cm below bumber mounts, but it is a bit too much for center of gravity, so maybe 10 cm :)
Just to be 110% sure - you mean above bumper mount right?

Back to the top
Okay guys, Inspirered by RIch I wanna share a video of the sound of my Car :)

Check the link…

Golf mk1 R32 Sound - YouTube

Back to the top
Lurvely! I want one now!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top

Hummel said

Check the link…

Can't beat that sound :).

Sounds amazing chap. How are you finding the V5 gearbox?  Is it nice and short low down 1st - 4th and how is 5th when at 70mph?

Back to the top

Rich. said

Hummel said

Check the link…

Sounds amazing chap. How are you finding the V5 gearbox?  Is it nice and short low down 1st - 4th and how is 5th when at 70mph?

Thanks mate! I really like my 02A VR6 gearbox and the shift mechanism shift good. It is maybe a bit to low and short between the first gears, and the higher 5 gear was a great succes! It pulls it easily and runs around 2250RPM at 100km/h (you can do the conversion) ;)

Back to the top

Hummel said

Rich. said

Hummel said

Okay guys, Inspirered by RIch I wanna share a video of the sound of my Car :)Check the link…

Thanks mate! I really like my 02A VR6 gearbox and the shift mechanism shift good. It is maybe a bit to low and short between the first gears, and the higher 5 gear was a great succes! It pulls it easily and runs around 2250RPM at 100km/h (you can do the conversion) ;)
Ha I forgot you had an 02a, for some reason I thought you had an O2j FBK from a V5 2.3ltr.

I have a CCM 02a with CTN 5th gear, I assume you have a CDM? The final drive is 3.647 compared to 3.389.

After 3rd gear its quite long geared.  Yours seemed as if it got to 4th quite quickly.

Last edit: by Rich.

Back to the top

Rich. said

Hummel said

Rich. said

Hummel said

Okay guys, Inspirered by RIch I wanna share a video of the sound of my Car :)Check the link…

Ha I forgot you had an 02a, for some reason I thought you had an O2j FBK from a V5 2.3ltr.

I have a CCM 02a with CTN 5th gear, I assume you have a CDM? The final drive is 3.647 compared to 3.389.

After 3rd gear its quite long geared.  Yours seemed as if it got to 4th quite quickly.

Hehe you're wrong mate ;) I also have a CCM and changed the 5th gear to a 0,755 the same as you I believe. So we should have pretty much same setup.

Back to the top

Hummel said

Rich. said

Hummel said

Rich. said

Hummel said

Hehe you're wrong mate ;) I also have a CCM and changed the 5th gear to a 0,755 the same as you I believe. So we should have pretty much same setup.

No way  :lol:.

Great minds eh :thumbs:.

Back to the top
So… My fuelpump in tank solution didn't really work optimal (I thought that myself, but tried it anyway)

As seen on Rich's thread the solution from "Lhasa"-something (Sorry for wrong tag mate) was to fit the complete fuelpump assembly on the tank, which I thought was a great idea!

I tried the original locking bracket, I cutted it out from a junkyard car, but as I welded it on a pipe the plastic melted an thereby a leaking issue appeared and decided to ditch that.

I know cut my own bracket and will weld 7 6mm bolt to it and then use the nuts as "locking pins" I should give me a leakfree solution.

OKaym, so now I thinking about tilting the bracket a bit to the left(middle) to get theassemlby free of the tank fitment bracket under and thereby moved the swirlpool more closer to the bottom of the tank and still could be able to get to the connection from the inside hole in the car. I will also lower the assembly as far down in the tank as possible to allow more room around in the top, this should allow me to use the stock size hole in the car.

Can you guys see any issue in tilting the fuelpump assembly a bit ?

193792204_156181726499249_8032254874545802043_n.jpg 199835981_532325167801303_9171709136472766614_n.jpg 201333283_367883794701829_4328493721972658576_n.jpg

Back to the top

Hummel said

So… My fuelpump in tank solution didn't really work optimal (I thought that myself, but tried it anyway)

As seen on Rich's thread the solution from "Lhasa"-something (Sorry for wrong tag mate) was to fit the complete fuelpump assembly on the tank, which I thought was a great idea!

I tried the original locking bracket, I cutted it out from a junkyard car, but as I welded it on a pipe the plastic melted an thereby a leaking issue appeared and decided to ditch that.

I know cut my own bracket and will weld 7 6mm bolt to it and then use the nuts as "locking pins" I should give me a leakfree solution.

OKaym, so now I thinking about tilting the bracket a bit to the left(middle) to get theassemlby free of the tank fitment bracket under and thereby moved the swirlpool more closer to the bottom of the tank and still could be able to get to the connection from the inside hole in the car. I will also lower the assembly as far down in the tank as possible to allow more room around in the top, this should allow me to use the stock size hole in the car.

I want to do this in the winter when I re coat the underneath of the Golf.

More updates :)Tommy what strut tops do you use? I managed to do this today and they have only covered 200 miles since new O_o.

IMG_20210623_160132831.jpg

Back to the top

Rich. said

Hummel said

More updates :)Tommy what strut tops do you use? I managed to do this today and they have only covered 200 miles since new O_o.

Hi Rich.

I made my own strut tops to get more height and thereby more suspension travel. I just welded a stainless steel pipe on a plate and put a topbearing from a Audi 80 inside, works like a charm and no way this will pop out on top. However as it is at the moment when I raise the car the bearings will glide out, this will be solved later on.

I only have this picture of it though.

20200807_200208649_iOS.jpg

Back to the top

Rich. said

Hummel said

Hi Rich.

I made my own strut tops to get more height and thereby more suspension travel. I just welded a stainless steel pipe on a plate and put a topbearing from a Audi 80 inside, works like a charm and no way this will pop out on top. However as it is at the moment when I raise the car the bearings will glide out, this will be solved later on.

20200807_200208649_iOS.jpg

Back to the top

Hummel said

Rich. said

Hummel said

Hi Rich.

I forgot I have Coltech Classic strut extenders. I bought them ages ago and stored them away somewhere. I'll dig them out at the weekend :).

Looks similar to yours but I think they add 1.5" of extra height.

:thumbs:

Back to the top
Small Update: Got my tank finished and hooked up. It is a really recommended update! :) No fuel pump sound at all, and no fuel starvation in corners. The fuel level sender had to be reversed and if it should be precise at full tank it should have a resistor in series, I maybe end up doing that later.

The car also starts much easier, cant really explain that though.

Tank2.png Tank1.png

I'm struggling with poor low end torque and some hesitation when i hhit the throttle, can't really explain it more precise, I fear one of the injectors might be clogged :O And the job to remove them is massive..

I also have the Eurowise downpipe in my mind, if it was leaking a bit the 02 sensor might be off causing poor performance…

I mentioned the VSS implasible signal alarm to Rich, it states MIL ON, but to my knowledge this should only cause RPM limit ????? Anyone knows this ?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.