Skip navigation

4 Doors for more Problems

Back to the top

Pictures Pictures Pictures

Hi Guys and Gals

As of 20/02/2016 I became the owner of a MK1 golf CL. Now if I had any sense I would have started the build thread then but here I am a little under 5 months later.

So the fun all started on viewing day. The car was advertised as a runner; this however wasn’t 100% true. Other than the fueling issue everything else was as stated. We bargained with the owner and got It for a steal.

We loaded it up on the trailer which turned out to be a mission in its self, I’m not sure who designs ramps for trailers but they must be regular mountain climbers. when we finished dragging the bottom of the car up the trailer we set off home.

10419944_1077608148936855_1515579009270754567_n

We chucked it straight in the garage where I spend half of my life T-cutting it to try and get some shine back in it. Aside from the orange wing and door its not looking to bad now, especially for the what I believe to be the original paint

13118866_1124981564199513_4578157955048228076_n

We got the thing running by patience and some tinkering, the fuel seems to be running back to the tank when its left sitting for a while (suggestions on this would be appreciated) but also from the the timing was out and as was the idle on the carb

Then come the modifications

I’ve always wanted something on bags, so I wad of cash and 3-5 business days later they arrived. By this time, I had the car stripped ready to fit. I originally thought it would be a massive ache to install air ride however its essentially just coil overs with some air line going to them.

I’m wanting to keep it all clean looking so I spend ages thinking of ways to do the install. It was only when the tank was sat on top of one of the wheels that I realised it may fit into the spare wheel well, so I pulled out the spare and to my massive surprise it fitted a charm. we cut a board for it all to be mounted on and chucked it in. a bolt goes through the drain hole and bots up so the whole lot doesn’t get ejected through the back window when I hit a bump. We are yet to make a false floor for this to be hidden with, I’m hoping cut some planks and stain it etc.

IMG_4777

IMG_4783

The next problem are the switches, they come in their own little housing which is nice but I don’t want to be cutting to the car to mount it up. I decided to put it where the clocks are in the GTI’s when I pulled the center section out and found out that there are already cut outs behind a faceplate. We cut a few circles out of some plastic we had lying around and mounted the switches in these and I think it looks awesome

IMG_4819

IMG_4786

It went back on the floor after being jacked up for what was probably coming up to 3 months and it was low but the front was still a bit high, after some inspection it was sat on the driveline. After some convincing I talked my dad into doing a chassis notch for me (I know structural integrity blah blah)That all went great and is lower now but still sits on the driveline so I’m thinking we will take another bit of this out over winter. We also cut out the arches to stop things rubbing and give us a little breathing space, the rear ones will be done soon as they rub too.

IMG_4817

I picked up a set of BBS Rm’s off eBay for a good price and they are immaculate, they look pretty snazzy on there too, a little photo of it half way up and all the way down

IMG_5728

Untitled

That’s pretty much it for the mean time I’ve probably missed a lot but I’ve started all of this at a bit of a silly time

Feed back will be amazing as I’m not mechanically minded

Back to the top
Looks loads better than when you picked it up, RM's really suit cars without the black wheel arches.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
nom nom nom, looks really nice mate!

fuelling issue-wise, I've got a 1-way valve plumped in to stop any chance of fuel draining back to the tank on my system, could be an idea? (not sure about carb'ed systems though, mine is fuel injection)

Back to the top
Looking good mate, I had the same issue with fuel. I fitted a Non return valve just before the fuel filter. Also make sure you dont have normal jubilee clips on your fuel line as these cut into the fuel lines.

Follow me on Instagram, scottyr_mk1golf

Back to the top
Great looking car and a massive transformation from when you bought her  :thumbs:

Matt

Back to the top
Cracking read and the car is looking the business!
Love the switches by the way, nice job that and many thanks for sharing.  :thumbs:

Sent by a smartphone and not a smartperson!

Play Guess the Asking Price 'SEASON 4' as of Sunday the 29th of October 2017.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fguess-the-asking-price_2

OLD.
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=chat%2Fmk1-golf-chat_2%2Fold-guess-the-asking

Ever wondered who's behind the scenes of this forum?
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=committee

Mike

There's me building mine 28 years ago, almost finished!        

001.JPG       

Be proud of your VW Golf Mk1, it's very special!

Back to the top
Car looks fantastic, noticed the blinds in the back, they look sweet!
Lucky your air install fits inside the wheel recess, suits it down to the ground (no pun intended  ;)).

Back to the top
Hello hello hello, long time no post (my bad)

Theres not been much since my last post :( just been busy enjoying it for the time being

I went up to Bug Jam in July, the car never skipped a beat there or back much to my delight and surprise (even with 3 people and enough camping gear for 6)

bugjam home

13620056_302030243520842_4580722989091004105_n

Then I went down to VW action, saw a few people who I believe are on here, nice to see some other mk1’s (got papped there trying to be a show car)

IMG_0927

Then I had my first breakdown in her, while delivering some cake tins back to my nans. The seal on the rear air bag came lose and wouldn’t let me air back up. Aw well at least the car wasn’t moving anywhere haha. Got this sealed again and has been fine since *touch wood*

13901422_1186102904754045_66270055716453049_n

Since then I’ve attended a few local meets and ultimate stance so have a few glam shots from that

Capture 14570326_10211025080283363_4593930223123253162_n IMG_0861
IMG_0086

I’ll try post more often! Maybe..

Back to the top
It's all about them red more-doors  :thumbs:

Simple and clean, love this! I think I need myself one of them blinds too  :cool:

Back to the top
I love it, I wanted a nice CL to use throughout next year. Such a classic look with a lovely interior. Good find.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.