Skip navigation

2litre Orange mk1, The 7 year saga continues, wiring help needed!

Back to the top

Orange mk1, update 5/4 quarry pics

looks stunning mate.  COTM stands for Car Of The Month.  It's basically paid members who put their car forward.  All the cars are put into a voting thread and the winner receives a T-shirt from the clothing manufacturer "VolksDepot" and their car is displayed on the front page for one month.  As it is only open to paid members, you would not currently be able to put your project forward.  Even though it is a beauty.  You've done a cracking job.

Back to the top
ahhh i see. not a paid member yet. i probably should be, owe it to all the people on here, but struggling to live and keep a VW on the road as a student let alone paying for a membership haha

Back to the top
Hi guys, been a VERRRRRRY long time since and update, not much has happened apart from FINALLY adding some new wheels

Now i soon plan to replace my 1.8 carb and move towards a new engine for the golf.

looking at using a 1.8 8v head with a rebuilt 2 litre bottom end form a mk3 golf (tsr blanking plates & baffled tdi sump) - planning on running on K-jet for ease of install and also retaining some originality to the mk1.

im managing to obtain the majority of the injection parts from someone who's recently converted to carbs, i am however missing a fuel pump and accumulator, and of course injection fuel lines that run under the car, the total for these 3 parts new is nearly 250!!!! this I find staggering!

The tank in the car is the original 1.3 driver tank and so i (think) im faced with two options:

-use a mk3 polo/late cabriolet/scirocco in-tank fuel pump
-change the tank for a GTI one and use the standard setup

i've noticed that the in-tank option has replaceable filters like this one: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK1-MK2-GTI-FUEL-PUMP-IN-TANK-C246-/190549814530?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5da76d02#ht_1764wt_905

this sways me towards using an in-tank pump instead of spending £65 on the standard GTI setup which IMO is more susceptable to clogging with any debris that may enter the tank/ get sucked up if i run low on petrol. With an in-pump tank do i still need to use an accumulator?

sorry for all the questions but i'd like to see if i can get this up and running as soon as possible with a bit more grunt for summer, and hopefully a bit more economy!

thanks

Back to the top
Cracking looking car… saw this the other day whilst parking up, thought id take a few snaps

Back to the top
Haha thanks mate, good timing, looks like I'd just cleaned it! You don't own the red little lowered polo on bbs style wheels do you?

Back to the top
bar the tyres ;)… ha yeah, I do indeed, she's still in winter mode at the moment, waiting for my allycats to go into refurbishment. I live on Alexandra Road, massive pain to park anywhere, my girlfriend has to park all the way over where we saw your car (don't want to give it away to much) as she cant get permit parking.
Sorry about the shit quality phone pictures, But yeah was drooling over it for at least 10mins, the girlfriend was getting annoyed just having to stand there.. ha :)

Back to the top
Double post…  :redfaced:

Back to the top
Haha I never clean the tyres, been working in a quarry so it's been covered in mud lately (got some cool pics of car in quarry though, put them up soon!) then you can look at em and it wont upset the gf haha

Back to the top
just love how classic and clean this mk1 looks. Love the old skool number plates on this.

Madone with the two Cabs 82 (UK RHD) and 85 (US LHD) (92 sold)

Back to the top
Thanks very much! Yeh those plates cost a fortune at £50 but worth it in my opinion, one of my indulgences haha

Back to the top
hi there, long time no posts.

recently worked in a quarry cutting down trees and thought it would be rude not to get a few snapshots and share them with you lot, as it's a pretty unique backdrop since the quarry has been closed for nearly 20 years.

and last of all, my favourite shot (desktop background now)

cheers

Back to the top
Loving the colour mate! reminds me of one i know!