Skip navigation

2litre Orange mk1, The 7 year saga continues, wiring help needed!

Back to the top

Orange mk1, update 5/4 quarry pics

I might have driven past you when you were broken down, although I didn't see anyone along the M27 yesterday…

The slight play in your rear bearings may be due to not tightening the central nut on the rear axles enough. They need to be 'nipped' - not too tight as you'll squash the bearings, but not too loose either. Try upping the torque you've applied to them and see if the play goes away.

Just a thought - HTH

Rich

Back to the top

projectgolf said

p.s to Benscab, do roadside repairs on the M27 count as making up for 2 years of motoring haha

i guess thats a NO but its a good start to be able to break down and repair and get going again you get proper stimpy points for that  :lol:

Back to the top
ah ok, yeh i know the ones you mean, ill give that a go when its up in the air.

thanks for the stig points haha

so what is the sensor im after called? ive looked on GSF and cant see a lot, a heater valve? or a thermostat?

Back to the top
ETKA calls it a thermal switch.

GSF calls it a radiator thermo switch. (in switches, senders and instruments category)

My local spares shop had one on the shelf when mine needed changing, just ask for a radiator fan switch.

Yradave says relax.

Back to the top
thanks for that.
jj

Back to the top
i know that there is advice on gearboxes on the left hand side of this forum but im still not very clear on what to use, cant find much info on the 1.8 GU mk2 driver engine.

basically im running a standard mk2 golf 1.8 driver engine in my mk1golf, and was considering a gearbox change for two reasons:

1: the starter motor makes a horrible noise when turning over, ive been told by a mechanic that this may be the bearing inside the gearbox which is causing the drive from the starter motor to flap around and make the noise when turning over, as opposed to the starter motor itself.

also the problem is intermittent and of varying duration i.e. sometimes it makes a noise, sometimes it doesnt, sometimes it only does it for half the time of it spinning over. sorry if that sounds unclear, i cant think how else i can articulate it in any more of a comprehensible sentence.

2: 5th gear seems MILES away, i.e really only gets used when ive picked up some serious speed, and im normally one to sit in the slow/middle lane on the motorway as i prefer to thrash it on a twisty road than doing 95mph on a motorway.

because of this im contemplating putting on a 1.6 gti gearbox to make the most out of the 1.8 engine and the type of driving i normally do (less motorway) and cure this posisble problem with the starter motor?

its got a brand new clutch in the 1.8 gearbox, along with a pushrod seal and release bearing, i know id have to replace the bushes/seals in the 1.6 box but would the clutch be the same im assuming?

also what speedo cable would i need to use?
thanks, sorry for the lack of clarity and amount of questions!

gearbox issues aside, timing has been adjusted, along with new rad switch and HT leads, and now runs SOOOOO much better, so much nicer to drive, im loving it!
JJ

Back to the top
right, car is getting there finally, over 2 years after the fire its back, already covered about 5,000 miles in it this year with various roadtrips with the bmx and surfboard, seeing friends all over the country etc.

i LOVE it, returning 45mpg on motorway journeys with the weber, as well as being quicker than my old 1.3

just gone out and taken some photos (im rubbish by the way) before i go and crash it or set fire to it or something…

from this…

to this…

BIG BIG thanks to all those who helped, all those who donated parts, advice, who commented on this thread, thanks to Timski and Matt for the paint, and Crazyquiff, rubjonny, benscab and LOADS of others, theres so many to thank and i cant remember all the names

hope you've enjoyed the grueling rebuild more than i have haha. must look after this one (now carries a big extinguisher!)

thanks

Back to the top
Looking very nice again.

James

Click for Berkshire Mk1's>>> Facebook

Back to the top
Nice but  front end caps on the wrong way!

Back to the top
I remember feeling gutted for you when I saw the pics of the car after the fire. Its looking great now though - a real credit to you.  :clap:

Back to the top
looks good josh so glad i could help along with all the others to get you road worthy again

:wink:

Back to the top
Looks spot on :) . Its great to see it looking finished after all its been through. I love that colour

Back to the top
just read all start to finish, and what can i say but phwoooooooooooar on effort and end result 8)

Back to the top
What an amazing thread and a superb car.

Well done on sticking with it mate.

:notworthy:

Back to the top
hi there, been a long time i know, thinking of giving my interior a retrim, found the PERFECT fabric for the car, unfortunately its on a 70s opel kadett, and have no idea how id get something similar…the car in question is this one:

Ive been struggling to find something with a theme of mango orange, most are coming up with garish yellow gingham checks or something with too much white/grey in it. i want quite a dark fabric so it doesn't stain easily, which is why the below seats i found on this link, suit it perfectly..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320509124844&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

does anybody know someone who will custom make up tartan fabric so i can find something similar, ive searched for hours and hours but all i keep getting is cotton or wool fabric for kilts, and i need polycotton for the seats.
thanks
Josh

Back to the top
Okay hope your German is good or you can use babelfish to translate.
It looks like some tartan could be on here, you may have to contact them.

http://sitzklinik.de/

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
click on the wording at the top  Bezüge/Stoffe
nice dogtooth check too

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
I just looked over your project, because Im pretty new here…

What man can say about you???

Im very, very sorry for what happened to your beautiful retro Golf

And Im giveing you some huge respect for what you have done afterwards!!! :cheer:

Nice work, keep doing this  :wink:

Das Gnoj 1,1L 1978.
FEEL FREE TO VISIT US ON www.golfmk1.com.hr

Back to the top
well done Josh on both rebuilds :D  :D

Any thoughts on putting it up for the COTM ?

Back to the top
whats COTM?
that sitzklink looks good. ill have to email them, my german is pretty good.

so so so much tartan out there, ive already browsed 4000 tartans…bored now…still none that stand out…may have to get some custom made at this rate.

thanks for the positive comments as always…its not quite how i want it yet, new seats and wheels then i can finally say its at the stage i always planned it to be.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.