Skip navigation

2litre Orange mk1, The 7 year saga continues, wiring help needed!

Back to the top

Orange mk1, update 5/4 quarry pics

ah ok, ill have to get some of that!

anyone got any more ideas on the pipe, i believe it may be the wrong one for what i need?

Back to the top
please help me out guys, only got one week left on this!

i have no wires left over for the purple carb wiring plug left off the manifold, does this mean that the water will still be pumped into the carb inlet regardless, or can i go ahead and use the metal GTI water pipe that ive got?

thanks

Back to the top
Youve done loads mate looks cool wish mine were that gd lol were did you get your shiny stuff eg grill and side strips???
Hope you get it all done

Back to the top
Reason they gave you that pipe as it is the only one they do now, only difference is the small pipe on its own in middle.
If they do not have that small pipe it is for 1.5 or series one mk1's i believe.
anyway not a big thing to worry about, if you dont have a top fill rad that is all that pipe is for, you would have a expansion bottle on the top right of engine bay that pipe goes their.
if you have a top fill rad simply get a plumber or the like and ask them to cap it off, my mate is a builder and he did mine for me when i had the x reg, when i got rid off x reg i kept pipe has it was new and removed the cap and fitted it to my citi as it has the exspansion bottle.
1st pic pipe goes to exspansion bottle, like i say if you don't have one but a top fill rad simply cap the little pipe.

the other 2 pipes now, the top longer one goes to the hose which has the heater valve on it i.e when you select warm air or cold from inside.

The slighty shorter one underneath that goes to the rear water inlet pipe on the inlet manfiold

Hope this reassures you
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
ahhhhhh thats brilliant, thanks Pete, you're a star! i couldn't find anything about them on vagcat or anywhere on the internet or my haynes manual.

yep that really helps clear it up, yeh im running an expansion tank so thats cool.

andy221 i got most of my stuff from Ebay, chrome grill was a red one i just sanded down with fine paper, its not actual chrome, thanks for the positive comments,

it will be going for an MOT in 3 different colours until its painted, hopefully theyll pass it!

thanks again

Back to the top
I'm sure they will pass it fella  8)

Best of luck, can't wait to hear the inevitable good news!

Back to the top
ARGHHHHH running out of time here! MOT on wednesday!

got crazyquiff helping me out on the last few parts being the lifesaver that he is, reliable service right there…

i was wondering if anyone can help me,

in the engine bay, what colours are the 2 wires for the brake light switch, i know that last time i simply stuck two male spades in where the brake light switch is meant to clip on, and used a pedal switch and this made the lights work, however it doesnt seem to be working this time?

thanks
Josh

Back to the top
MOT on wednesday now!!! so not long,

Crazyquiff helped me out loads with some next day delivery and the plethora of spare parts as usual, thanks for that Rich!

one quick question, there are two connectors in the engine bay for the brake lights, now, last time i simply wired a pedal switch in to these connectors with lengths of wire and male spade connectors shoved in these connectors, ive attempted to do the same and isnt working?

yes i have checked all the earths, all the other lights work but no brakes? i cant just put a brake light switch on either because im running 4 outlets, all with brake pipes on them,

what colour are the engine bay brake switch wires, and what colour are the brake light wires for the rear light loom? just want to double check im not making a schoolboy error.

thanks
Josh

Back to the top
who would have ever thought…………

I FINALLY GOT AN MOT!!!!!! WOHOOOOOOOOOOO!!

only 2 provisionals on very slight play in rear wheel bearings, but theyre adjustable i think so..no worries there.

got the car to run well yesterday after changing carb flange (had only been on the car since xmas, started maybe 10 times since…it was from GSF…need i say more.

also, these had been on even less time and hadn't driven the car anywhere..

so i got ones from crazyquiff, they seem much better!

just a few pics of the buildup, its been MANIC to say the least, furiously ordering parts for next day delivery, working 7-6 every day, then on the car till dark, and flat out on the weekends. i have been doing this for 3 weeks, ontop of what has been nearly TWO years since the fire!!!

another 6am start…going off to a friendly local mechanic do a days work to finish all the jobs i didnt have time/tools to do,

then i spent friday up at 6am again till dark finishing it off, and was up at 6 again to MOT it today!!

few pics of it after a wash and out and about…the MOT tester said its the best car hes had in all week with the least advisories…how good is that!

sorry for the long thread, goes with the long build i spose!!

want to say a HUGE HUGE thanks to all the people that made this possible, Timski for showing inequivocal generosity with the donation of the mk2 for the engine and all the bodywork help so far, and yet to come, it will be orange yet!!

also to BensCab for helping me to finally get it running, thanks to all of those who donated/offered parts to the cause, bouchay, richievr, gazmk1, kenno, funk-star, and of course Crazyquiff too, whos been very helpful throughout, donating parts and offering an unparalelled service for mk1 parts.

in the long term pipeline the plans are some nice recaros, retrim inside, finish off all the paintwork and trim, and lower it (getting the lowering stick tomorrow!!) for now…just going to drive it for a bit, i think i deserve it haha

thanks for all the support, views, and im sorry if ive forgotten to mention anyone, this club has been a lot of help, and i will see you at the annual bash this summer where i can get the rounds in haha!

the mk1 is driving to PLYMOUTH tommorrow as im going back to uni, nothing like a 2hundred an something mile journey to break it in!!!

one last pic to leave you with, next to my Friend Jake's Mk1, 16v berg cup jobby…

Take it easy
JJ

Back to the top
i told you it would happen one day good effort josh

time to tap up timski for a free respray  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
its on the cards for a respray when im back from uni at the end of may, but till then ive gone past caring for now, just want a motor!!

will upload pics when lowered tomorrow

Back to the top
so you driving it back to uni then ? make the most of it 2 years motoring to catch up on :wink:

Back to the top
Congrats mate, good to know it's back on the road!

Back to the top
haha yeh thats the plan, got exams for 2 weeks, then gonna roadtrip around cornwall and devon catching up on some well overdue time on the bmx and on the surfboard in my little golf with some mates, need to get a roof rack! get a bbq and clean the tent off...i LOVE summer driving.

Back to the top
nice one Josh

Good work for getting back on the road

Back to the top
Well done again Josh,it was good to see her running again in the yard yesterday with a fresh MOT.Lets get her in the oven to paint when your back from Uni and i`m back from VW Worthersee :)

keep on keeping on

Back to the top
What a build!!! a real shame about the fire, then seeing it all come back together again. truly inspiring stuff mate, well done to you and Timski, she's a credit to you mate.

Tom :wink:

1991 Diamond silver 1800 16v Corrado 'Betty'

Gone, but not forgotten;

1985 Lemon yellow Polo coupe S

1983 Gambia red Golf C

1983 Diamond silver Golf GX

1981 Mars red Golf GTI

Back to the top
I agree!  :notworthy:

Back to the top
thanks for the positive comments guys!

erm, had a breakdown already…basically because i have a smaller than standard steering wheel, u cant see the temp gauge unless u tip ur head down, it would appear the sensor in the rad must be dead because it boiled right up, causing a recessed little blanking plug bit in the bottom of the inlet manifold to make a tiny hole.

the recess i mean is in the same place, but on the other side to the carb water heater, so i chemical metalled this up and ran some wires from the rad sensor into the inside the car, put a switch on it that i happened to hav ein the boot, and used this to operate the fan on its long journey down to Plymouth, she ran fine, and only needed to use it when in traffic twice.

basically, what sensor is it that bolts in the bottom of the rad, and where can i find it? im hoping this will stop it overheating again, and i promise to keep an eye on the temperature more often!!

Back to the top
p.s to Benscab, do roadside repairs on the M27 count as making up for 2 years of motoring haha
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.