Skip navigation

2litre Orange mk1, The 7 year saga continues, wiring help needed!

Back to the top

Orange mk1, update 5/4 quarry pics

no probs josh glad i could help youve done a good job getting to pretty much a running state and i had no doubt that it would run

still burping petrol tho that stuff dont taste so great  :mrgreen:

Back to the top
hehe comedy moment, 'sall good. managed to get dashboard lights working, well, half of them, i think 1 bulb is gone… gettin there tho, its getting moved to my drive so i can work on it in the evenings, id like to get it all together ready for an MOT within about a week which tbh, is one mean feat.

im still short of parts, and the days i have off to go to the scrapyard and boxing day, xmas day and new years day, so i cant get anything myself.
has anyone got the following?

• choke cable and lever for dash
  • brake servo pipe

thanks
Josh

Back to the top
Awesome colour dude. I like your style.

It's not illegal if you don't get caught.

Back to the top
haha thanks mate!
i dont have much progress, the times i have come back form uni ive been working and its up the yard so its pitch black to work on it, and dont have any more money for parts until easter time, i will keep you all updated
thanks

Back to the top
Go on Lad! Nice one

Them lowering springs alrate for ya

Back to the top
havnt put them on yet mate because of working on it so much still. what with wheeling it up and down trailer ramps and that, gotta paint the underside and fit the exhaust first. i dont think it would ever make it up the trailer on 80s as its close as it is on tractor mode.

im wondering whether 80mm may rub loads though, as ive got 185 60 14's and if i load it up fully?? contemplating getting some 60s.

Back to the top
Hello there, some of you may have seen this car before, but to be concise, it was a once restored driver..then it set on fire, and have spent almost the last 2 years trying to put it back together in between uni and work.

basically its booked in for an MOT on the 22nd, and currently looks like this…

so i need all the help possible for the next two weeks to finish it off

its running a mk2 1.8 8v driver engine.
i have a few questions im hoping you might be able to answer.

1: will it be possible to fit a standard 1.8/1.6 GTI tintop manifold to this engine, as the original was cracked, i have a 4branch but as im restricted by time its proving difficult to match it up to my standard exhaust on the rest of the car. so basically i want to get a standard manifold and downpipe and need to know what to buy/look for (if anyone is selling one, please let me know)

2: the car has a Weber conversion on it, but the accelerator cable doesnt fit to the carb properly, is this a common problem/modification? and also the airbox it flapping around, how is this fixed?

3: this is a picture of my drivers side headlamp:

basically there was one wire which was the feed for the headlamp, with no earth in sight. i took the earth for the indicator just to get it working, im assuming it will be fine to create another earth for the indicator to get that to work? the loom im using has been played about with so i cant take any of the wires as standard and am having to make the best of what i have.

thanks for looking.
hope someone can help
JJ

Back to the top
I think you have the older airbox, the newer type have a raise lip basically perfect for the weber replacement, i will take some pics and show you, also i currently have an older type on mine and will post pic to show you and explain what i did to make it tight.
The accelarator cable depending on size you get will fit the arm on carb, their are 2 ways it can go on, show me a pic of how yours is and i can help on that matter.
As regards exhaust, any exhaust manifold and downpipe from 1.5, 1.6 & 1.8 carb are same fella, if you want a gti one yes that will fit also, but you will need some modifications doing, but you want car ready for MOT so go for carb models i.e with the C clamps bud so no confusion.
See here for example of what exhuast you need
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOLF-MK1-CADDY-1-6D-EXHAUST-MANIFOLD-SINGLE-OUTLET_W0QQitemZ330288813173QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item330288813173&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
You need downpipe to match this fella

Will get some pics for you now bud of air filter and cable issues
Pete

Back to the top
Right as regards the other problems:-
You have a 32/34dtml weber, it came with this

If you have the later airbox i.e. with the raised lip shown in pics then you are fine, but like i said i think you have the older type
LATER AIRBOX for 1.6 & 1.8 (RAISED LIP)

EARLIER AIRBOX for 1.6 & 1.8 (FLAT LIP)

So now you have earlier airbox, what you do is:-
remove airbox, now to the left the bracket which the airbox connects to is bolted down on a stud on the left of carb via an 8mm but, simply get 2 small washers to raise the bracket slighty higher and re-fit 8mm nut.
Now get yourself a washer with hole diameter enough for the hex headed bolt to go through the airbox at the top and enough to fit justover the rim of the hole of airbox, tighten down job done, your airbox will now no longer wobble freely, look at my pics to give you the idea.
Now accelarator cable:-

For some reason sometimes you can not get correct cable and have to modify in order to use it,if you look at the pic at teh top of the arm teh cable end i.e little ball part should sit their, it doesn't even on mine, but the cable is too long in order to use also.
So simply get something like mine in pic to fit cable through and tighten it, i got this from a car shop, it has a screw in one side to grip the cable, Job done, any further, don't hesitate
Pete  :wink:

Back to the top
WOW thanks for going to all that effort to write all that up mate!

ok i should be able to get the airbox sorted tomorrow now,

i was wondering what im goign to do about the cable, still looks very different to yours, although that cable grip is a great shout!

erm, with regards to the exhaust, you've got me a bit worried now, as ive bought a GTI exhaust and it is different to the 1.5 exhaust you mention downpipe-wise.

The first picture is a 1.5 exhaust, the second is a GTI.

The gti centre section is a lot shorter (see how the hanger is almost at the end of the pipe on the GTI), and so wont i have to make a GTI manifold and downpipe fit this, as i really dont want to have to add in extra bits of exhaust unless i absolutely HAVE to, ive already fitted up the rear sections!

arghhhh this is a nightmare.

Back to the top
Well with mine, i fitted the gti exhuast manifold and downpipe and used my exsisting system, a mate of mine simply cut shorter the lenght from the centre box where it meets the end of downpipe and did an excellent weld, if thats helps you fella
As regards to carb and cable, looks like you could do with contacting weber and see if you can get the accelerator arm to add onto it, Why it was removed i dont know has when you buy them new they are already on
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
ah thats ok, a bit of chopping is fine, ive got a cordless grinder so thattl do the job nicely. ill go ahead and order a gti system.

yeh i think i will jubilee clip it on if i cant find anything before MOT but i will hunt around in scrapyards this weekend to see what i can get.

thanks again
JJ

Back to the top
does anyone know if the mk1 golf came with a heatshield for the exhaust manifold at all? im thinking this manifold under the carb would make it verrrrrrrrrrrrry hot, surely not a standard thing, and i do not want a repeat of the fire..!

on the 1.5 or the cabbys for example?

is it any good or should i just opt for the heatwrap ive got instead?

Back to the top
They did, or at least my cabby did. I had to cut it off to change steering rack bushes, however. I just made do with heat wrap and never had any problems.

I have never ever seen one for sale, but Quiff might be able to help you out with one???

FYI, Demon Tweeks do a fairly reasonably priced plumbed fire extinguisher.

Back to the top
^^^^^ what he said or B&Q sell buckets for 99p :mrgreen:

just heat wrap it josh dont worry about what been before or youll never drive it again

you know what they say about falling of a horse  :wink:

Back to the top
Josh,
      If your running a single carb on the inlet and not at an angle directly over exhaust manifold, you have nothing to worry about fella.
I have seen quite a few fires start from carbs on angles never as a standard on top sitting carb and in 15 years of me having these blocks and carbs as they should be in my opinon never an issue bud.
My opinon the design of carbs sitting directly over exhaust manifold's is the stupidest idea created, but everyone to their own i guess.
As regards shield usually there is one, i have one on my mk2 but not on my mk1.
Like i say don't worry bud, it is fine
Pete :wink:

Back to the top
again, lots of thanks for the detailed and quick replies, im just going to wrap it up nicely in heatwrap

JJ

Back to the top
Heatwrap should be sufficient. Without trying to teach you to suck eggs:

I cut a length and wrapped it loosely while dry to check that it would cover, overlapping the wrap by half, then took it off, wet it and wrapped it as tightly as I could and secured it, the idea being that when it dries it contracts and goes even tighter. Make sure you have the silicone spray to seal it after it dries, as I didn't and it just ends up holding loads of water when it's wet.

Good luck with the final push! Be great when this is running again :)

Back to the top
nope, not teaching to suck eggs at all! i thought it just went on dry, i wrapped it like you said, and then used metal cable ties at the end of it. whats this about silicone spray?

also, another question…again!

managed to get a water pipe for my engine (the main metal one that stretches around the front of the engine, i chose to get a 1.5 one, as i figure it runs a carb, shares the same shape as the bigger blocks, and so in theory should work?

jsut wondering what pipes go where?? i know the bottom one which is out of sight in this photo is obviously to the water pump…

thanks again

Back to the top
Ah right, basically you need a high temp silicone spray to seal the wrap and stop it taking on water. It's made for the purpose and you can get it from Demon Tweeks.

http://www.demon-tweeks.com/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=DEI010301
There are too many online users to list.