Skip navigation

2litre Orange mk1, The 7 year saga continues, wiring help needed!

Back to the top

Orange mk1, update 5/4 quarry pics

alternator should have big red live and small blue wire for the dash bulb

the starter should have big red to batter and small re to fuse box D Plug ( the white multi plug)

Back to the top
hey dude im like a younger version goin throught the smae process lol want to get my mk1 1.1 sprayed orenge think it looks awsome but read about it catching on fire lol how did it happen lol hope mine bloody dosent c athc fire lol. how much money was it to get it sprayed?
cheers
max

Back to the top

\sunset orange?

My lordy…if that is sunset orange you have painted there…i know the pain of trying to get it on there with factory effect…on and on it goes. \i never ever want to paint a car that colour again ever ever…(does look good though obv not painted by me……waaiiiiiit…maybee its not sunset orange hmmm.

Kudos to the painter!

Back to the top

whaaa

My god..forget the paint comment…i feel your pain but good to see your cracking on with it. Ifi were closer i would offer you a free paint job (even though yellow and i dont get on).

RESPEC!

Back to the top
blancomr:
yeh apprently it needed a lot of coats and has to be thinned a lot to make it real deep, came out well though

madmax: wicked mate, i do love a good small engined golf, im almost wishing i put one back in mine, with just a 5 speed gearbox too!

tips for not having a fire: check all your rubber fuel lines and replace them, probs about 20 quid in fuel line, also check the clutch cable hasnt rubbed over the fuel pump ontop of the engine too much, as this can cause it to leak…most importantly check that the rubber gasket in between the carb is secure, with no splits etc…worth replacing, abotu 12 quid.(mine was brand new)

as for respray, thats like asking how camp is dale winton? depends what you want…

a GOOD respray with an oven bake finish, with a little bit of welding and generally what it takes to bring a car up to a standard where it is ready to paint, you are looking at about 2-2.5k for a really good job

my advice is strip literally everything minus the dashboard, sand down all the inside, get it in primer, and if you think you are any good, prep the outside too, the more prep you do, the less it will cost, as the prep is the timely part!

thanks for the support on the colour, i think its growing on people lol

ive got 9 days to sort out all manner of problems, along with actually getting it running, i dont know that its actually going to happen b4 i go to uni….hopefully ive got a fella who knows his stuff coming round to sort out this damn engine!!
wish me luck, i really want to take it to uni, if its not doable in time ill buy a rubbish mk3 polo coupe or a mk2 golf….we all know what id prefer to drive

thanks again
JJ

Back to the top
does the engine spin over???

what parts of the wiring are you unsre of ??

can you get pics of all the wiring that youve fitted

also you said it backfired have you checked the plug leads are round the right way :dontknow:

Back to the top
just looking at your coil wiring it may not be right

after a quick search you should have

green to tci control unit
black to tci control unit
black to fuse box D plug
red/black? to tci

id double check what you have i think your coil wiring is the key here

im struggling with time this week as ive got to get this mk1 on my drive finished before i start a new job on monday so you may have to do some fault finding on your own i can however ring you and ask silly questions about what wiring you have where just to double check :lol:

Back to the top
coil wiring this is what i think it should be :lol:

position 1 on the coil red/black and green
position 15 on the coil black

can anyone else confirm  :dontknow:

Back to the top
Ok, ill arm myself with the laptop next time im working on the car, and i ot your number off martin so i can give you a call, yeh the leads are defo in the right order, but i dont know if the distributer is, as i took it off with the leads still on it, and put it back on….how would i know which position it sits it?

thanks
JJ

Back to the top
get the engine timing marks lined up so cylinder is at tdc the pull the cap of and make sure the rotor arm is pointing to where plug 1 should be on the cap

i think its either coil wiring or plug leads which is an easy mistake to make
you can ring me any time i may not awnser if driving tho  :mrgreen:

evrything else looks ok

how many wires do you have on the coil?

Back to the top
ok just checked a diagram and defo sure coil wires are wrong so do as i posted above

Back to the top
4 i believe, id have to double check though…thing is….yes it is spinning over but it spins and then sometimes stops spinning, struggles, then spins, then struggles…. as if its just losing power completely…? i wonder if this could be a bad earth, the starter motor has a bolt on it, of which some leads go to alternator, and a big one goes to the poitive terminal on the battery,

then there are wires coming from inside the car (ive been told i dont need the black one) does this mean it is ok for earths though, would it earth through the positive terminal, or should i run an earth to the chassis.?

yeh u will probably get lots of phone calls after work lol, u have let yourself in for it now!!
haha
thanks again
JJ

Back to the top
ok wicked mate, yeh the wiring had been played about with previously, obviously didnt correct it properly, will give it a go tomorrow…
JJ

Back to the top
ring check the following

from alternator 1 x big lead to starter then from starter to battery

battery earth to chassis leg then gearbox

the black lean inside maybe the rev counter wire?

if it spins over then struggles id say timing plug leads around the wrong way not an earth issue

i think your pretty much there just a couple of wires to swap and check timing did you take the dizzy right out or just the cap

Back to the top
dont connect a earth to a positive or it will be rebuild number 3 :mrgreen:

Back to the top
what do you mean when you say 'the black lean inside maybe the rev counter wire? '

are you talking about the black wire which i thought might be for the condenser?

also, yes the whole dizzy came out, as well as having had the cap off too…

hmm..have i done something silly then?

Back to the top

projectgolf said

what do you mean when you say 'the black lean inside maybe the rev counter wire? '

are you talking about the black wire which i thought might be for the condenser?

also, yes the whole dizzy came out, as well as having had the cap off too…

hmm..have i done something silly then?

not silly but if you didnt put it back in the same position it will throw the timing out  :lol:  :lol:

im not sure if you can put it back in wrong but you can twist it so its out like whenyou advance retard the timing

so jobs for tommorow

time engine up and see where rotor arm points then loosen dizzy and adjust so plug position one points to rotaor arm if needed

rewire coil

fire up and drive away 8)

Back to the top

projectgolf said

quote]

the black wire thats spare could be rev counter just ignore it for now

Back to the top
mate, thats all been really helpful, no doubt ull be getting some silly questions tomorrow, i only know from what i have previously done, transferring an engine isnt something ive done, but from what you've said, i might not be far away…

yeh, ill find tdc and adjust accordingly….is tdc, where the big wheel ontop of the engine lines up with the rocker cover, like when you're doing a cambelt?

again…stupid question unles you know
JJ

Back to the top
turn engine over by hand until the bottom pulley lines up with the mark on the lower cover then the cam mark should line up with the rocker cover you may need to turn the bottom over twice to get the top to line up

your so close you wouldnt believe it im just gutted i dont have the time to do it for you tbh youve done a blinding job and it would be ashame to let someone else finish it now if im honest :wink:

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.