Skip navigation

1993 American LHD Mk1 Golf Cabby Project

Back to the top
I started this project after realising the rusty mgb gt I had bought was going to be too much for me to do. My Dad had told me about a golf convertible he had seen stored in a farm yard where he had been doing some work. After concluding the mg was too much, we went to the farm to have a look at the golf. On arrival I saw a red mk1 convertible covered in dust, but started to get excited as it was a late K reg car, left hand drive, manual, tornado red with a white roof and a white interior. We managed to get the bonnet open and the car was a 1.8 GTI with power steering, air conditioning, catalytic converter and an airbag in the steering wheel. I knew I wanted it. At that point a lady appeared, who was looking after her horses, to say the car was hers and that she had owned it from new when she like in America and had brought it back with her when she came back to England. She stated that she would only sell it to someone who would look after it and get it back on the road, after I show her a picture of my mk2 Golf she agreed to sell it to me. The car is stored at my dads and try to go once a month to work on it. It has been off the road since 2007 from a burnt out clutch.
ImgA5EF0792.jpg
20131205_122748.jpg
20131102_111310.jpg

Last edit: by stytrhe

Back to the top
Welcome to the forum and thanks for coughing up for membership too  :thumbs:

That's a great looking car, it will be nice to see this one the road with some nice extras that you don't get on UK cars.

The steering wheels with airbags look the same as fitted to Porsche 968's (useless bit of info for you!  :lol: )

How much work do you have to do? I can see you need a set of matching wheels!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Welcome along buddy and congrats on becoming a member.

Smudger

Back to the top
A nice looking project, good luck  :thumbs:

Going once a month will drive you mad. I go to mine once a week, then spend 6 days constantly thinking what I'd like to be doing to her, you'll have 30 days of that madness  :lol:  :lol:

Matt

Back to the top
Thanks. Hairyarse: when i first got it the previous owner had burnt the clutch out trying to pull a 106 out of a ditch. I took the gearbox out, but foolishly took the drive shaft flange off, then spent months failing to get it back in. I've now bought a mk2 driver box which is in. I want to replace as much as I can while its off the road. I've put new wishbones on it, and have got the anti roll bar powder coated. I''ve got new standard suspension to go on, then its new brakes all round. The hood needs replacing then it can go for an MOT.

Back to the top
Thanks Smudger.
Pazwaa: It sort of works only tinkering once a month. In between I buy the parts I want to fit next, then spend the entire weekend working on it. And if things don't go well, by the next time I go I've regain enthusiasm to work on it again and get it done.

20140104_102118.jpg

Last edit: by stytrhe

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.