Skip navigation

1983 Mk1 Regatta Blue Driver Long Over Due Build Thread

Back to the top
I have been bugged relentlessly by Richard Skinner to do my build thread, beings as I'm not the best on computers I'm trying the new tapatalk app so bear with me.

Back to the top

Back to the top

Right the story from day one, I spent a lot of time in hospital in 2012-2013 over 13 day stint in ICU lost my driving license for over 18 months, so I had a lot of time to think about what i wanted to build ! Dad has always had old Vws mainly sciroccos which I think is on my to do list for the next build if I can locate one ! Anyway I gained my driving license back and set out looking for a Mk1, put a advert on the forum in early part of 2014, cars came up but nothing that took my fancy, I didn't want a GTI, I wanted something different that had been forgotten about I was contacted by Dave Lee a member up in Scotland who had a Driver that had just come out the body shop and been done to look like a Pirelli edition, so on the 7th June 2014 I went up to view/collect the car. and ended up trailoring it back down the Tamworth the Midlands…….

Back to the top

Once I got the car back I set out using it, but like with every car comes problems, not long after attending the 2014 AGM the oil pump packed up, loosing oil pressure and scrapped the engine, so it got put in the unit that I rented with a friend for a few months then, I had the phone call everyone dreads, the unit was on fire ! My van and the golf was in there, the unit was 13 mile away from my house, I raced up there the golf had been dragged out but the van was still in there along with my mates cars and a bike of mine, as the fire fighters where moving to fight the fire around the back of the unit I ran down and managed to jump in the caddy and reverse it out ! Which didn't please the firefighters so I had a broken golf which ended up being smoke damaged, and no where to store it ! So it was getting worse. I managed to find a double garage 2 mins from where I live for rent,got the golf in there and decided I just wanted to rebuild the engine. Few pics of golf before it scrapped the engine !

Back to the top

November last year I had set the garage up to how I wanted it to be, and set about pulling the engine out the bay

My trade is a plumber and heating engineer so the golf is well out my comfort zone, learning as I went along !

Back to the top
Looking forward to more of the story mate. It's a really good tea so far!! :thumbs:

Back to the top

After slowly starting to strip the engine down, I realised it needed, new cam, new pistons and rings, crank shells, new oil pump

I stripped the valves out the head, and had the gearbox and head soda blasted before work commenced

Once I had got the parts back from Sutton Soda Blasters, i took the engine components down to Nuneaton Cyclinder Rebores, who reground the crank to .25, Rebored the block to 0.5, skimmed the block and head, new valves.

Back to the top

Once getting the engine components back from Nuneaton Cylinder rebores I began to assemble all the part ready to build back up !

After slowly starting to assemble the engine back up to a short block, a lot of looking through the manual and learning as I went along !

Back to the top

good thread Dave !! Let's see what becomes of this further down the line Ÿ

Back to the top
Nice to see the original engine being rebuilt for a change, instead of a bigger lump being transplanted.  Good thread.

Back to the top
Looking good! nice engine rebuld

Back to the top
More please  :P

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top

Next instalment this evening !
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.