Skip navigation

1983 mars red 1.8gti restoration 12 months on

Back to the top

owned this golf for 12 months and work done so far

]I bought this mk1 gti 12 months ago, its been a pretty full on year, this should of probably been scrapped as it was really bad with corrosion and not been on the road since 1996. I cut out all rust and replaced with new panels and repair sections, pot blasted everything and resprayed. Just couldnt face seeing another mk1 go to the graveyard so I just got on with it.http://s1274.photobuck…k1%20Golf%20Owners%20Club

Photos of whole project up to now, busy rebuilding the front suspension just now and then run brake pipes, fuel tank etc

Hope you enjoy the photos, just shows how rotten the old girl was

Last edit: by gbsblack

Back to the top
Wow!!!  :o  :cool:  What a transformation!! Well done for taking this on and saving what could well have been a scrapper.

Your work looks excellent and you wouldn't recognise the car now bar the registration plate!! lol

You must be really pleased with it?

PS: For anyone not bothering to check the link out, check the link out, it's a great transformation  :thumbs:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
Lots of hard craft went into her. Well done saving it :cool:

Back to the top
Just checked some of photo bucket link, I think this was on a par with the one I've got to do, if not worse. :lol:
  I'll check it properly when I'm not on my iPhone.
  Well done with saving another one :thumbs: Good work

Back to the top
amazing restoration job there, hats off to you. you must be extremely proud of it  :thumbs:

matt

Back to the top
Wow that looks great 😃
What underlay is that what you have used? Also have you got a carpet yet as I'm looking for one at the moment and wondered where if you have one you think of the quality ? 
Cheers

171761 views (107 Kb)

Back to the top
Wow what a transformation. Looks fantastic  you should be really proud of the work you have done.:ocf_emoticons__eusa_clap:

Back to the top
Absolutely lovely, a huge amount of work has gone into this, the Mary Rose needed less restoration than this!

Somehow the final picture looks a bit familiar…

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Nice work mate, she's a little beauty now!! :thumbs:

Back to the top

Swerve said

Wow that looks great 😃
What underlay is that what you have used? Also have you got a carpet yet as I'm looking for one at the moment and wondered where if you have one you think of the quality ? 
Cheers

Hi, I  bought the underlay off ebay, its pretty thick and comes in a big roll and just cut to size, I have a new carpet from Newton Commercial as the old carpet had lots of corrosion stains on it, I have fitted it and it looks a treat, just not totally finished the floor yet incase theres any wiring problems when I introduce the battery again. Thanks

Back to the top
Thanks lads for your comments, its really much appreciated hearing from other members that have been through it all already and appreciate the hard work. Im up in Aberdeen and theres not much of a Mk1 golf culture up hear as the weather has almost destroyed all Mk1s. Hopefully trailer it down to the annual meet and have fun with it down there next year. :)

Back to the top
Fair play for taking that on. I think I would have scrapped it.!

I've sat on a 1.8 gti for 6 years that that needs far less welding and I'm contemplating scrapping it! The only reason I don't is its my other car's younger brother in regards to its number plate similarity. I need to find someone like yourself that's willing to take it on! :lol:http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=general-chat_3%2Fpoor-old-gti-0&=

Back to the top
Now I like a challenge but I'd have walked away from that, top notch job, looks fantastic :thumbs:

Banner

Back to the top

Yomp said

Fair play for taking that on. I think I would have scrapped it.!

I've sat on a 1.8 gti for 6 years that that needs far less welding and I'm contemplating scrapping it! The only reason I don't is its my other car's younger brother in regards to its number plate similarity. I need to find someone like yourself that's willing to take it on! :lol:http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&id=general-chat_3%2Fpoor-old-gti-0&=

Just checked the link out Graham. I'd forgotten you had that. Had forgotten what you looked like dressed as a man too!  :lol:  :lol:

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
wow  :thumbs:hard to believe thats the same car, well done

Back to the top
It's been a challenge but enjoyed every minute of it, the worst was the underside work. Working in a single garage is not the best, but made do and got it done. 

Cheers lads

Back to the top
Awsome work m8. Looks very nice.

Back to the top
amazing work mate, looks immaculate  :wub:

Back to the top
Wow, that's inspiring. And I thought some of mine were rusty!

Robin

VW Golf 1500D 5-door 1978 - was daily (wet)
VW Golf 1800 cabriolet 1980 - daily (dry)
Bedford CF Trailblazer 1978 - camper
Bedford CF 350 Flatbed 1976 - fun/work
Mercedes W108 280s 1970 - dusty and forgotten
Mercedes S123 200T 1983 - to be renovated
Mercedes C124 1989 - Winter Beater
BMW E21 1976/82 - dusty but not forgotten
Twingo 2004 (not my fault, somebody gave it to me!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.