Skip navigation

Please delete

Back to the top
Please delete

Last edit: by satans_creation

Back to the top
The factory sunroof was an option, and it was a wind back one. Anything else was dealer fitment.

I'd say that's a 1.6 GTi…? Looks early as it doesn't have the MFA dash.

I can't see anything non-original, apart from perhaps the red around the dash, and the gauge in the centre console, I would say you could have three gauges as an option or all blanked.

Back to the top
Nice looking little car btw!!

Back to the top
Thanx mate yeah it's s 1.6

I've been told that the one VDO gauge in the centre console is from factory

Back to the top
Looks pretty original 1600 S2 X reg. Think the red dash trim was a 1 year thing and not sure about console VDO, thought that was a S1 thing + a time clock?

Few bits missing under bonnet like cambelt cover, plastic rain tray, rubber buffers on wing and top mount covers.

Wiring loom ontop of rad should be under it?

Looks good, shame about the aftermarket sunroof but a factory one would have rusted holes everywhere by now :(

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Those top mounts are shot so best to fit some new ones.
You are also missing the cold air feed pipe to the air box.

Wonder why someone fitted the loom over the top of the radiator… perhaps to keep it warm over the winter months  :lol:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
It's a W reg, I think I will lose the red dashboard surround

Hardly anything works electrically so been trying to solve these gremlins but seems it's mostly bad earth connections

Hardly any lights work, heaters not working, speedo clock goes off when I switch headlights on, dashboard bulbs not working, courtesy light not working, no wiring for radio, horn missing and wipers loose/not working

There is no wires/connectors for the inner spotlights so I assume it's meant to be a single headlight grill

I have ordered a lot of parts which I hate paying for but I quite enjoy it when they arrive and I fit them to the car

it starts and runs really sweet, it hesitates when first started and cant get the revs up. Going to do a major service and cambelt

Back to the top
Re: red surround, is that because you don't like it or think it's not factory original?

Theres a link here to a minty W reg, although no sure about steering wheel and obv door speakers are period accessories.

Bonhams Cars : 1981 Volkswagen Golf GTi 'Mark 1' Hatchback Chassis no. 17BW535827 Engine no. EG310260

Back to the top
I didn't think it was factory but looks like it might be…

Nice car, mines a Million miles away from that ATM but it looks incredibly original

I'm colour blind so wiring is a nightmare to me. I can do just about anything mechanically

Back to the top

satans_creation said

I didn't think it was factory but looks like it might be…

Nice car, mines a Million miles away from that ATM but it looks incredibly original

I'm colour blind so wiring is a nightmare to me. I can do just about anything mechanically

Yeah, pretty sure the red dash is original and just 1st year or two of 1.6 S2. Keep at it, looks a fab base to start with

Back to the top
Not a bad looking car at all!
I think the 1.6 had an oli temp guage mounted in the centre console as standard - MFA equiped cars didn't as it was one of the MFA functions. I like the mid 80's equalizer!
Must had a rear spoiler at some point based on those brackets at the top of the rear screen.
Twin light grill would have been a dealer option I think, or maybe a later addition, easy enough to wire in, but I'd put the lights on their own relay. If you decide to get rid of it please let me know. I've got one on mine but one of the spots is a bit corroded on the reflector (and I'm not paying £75 to have it rechromed!).

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Yes the rear spoiler brackets look like those for the Kamei spoiler. They sort of hook up and over the glass under the rubber seal

Back to the top
I have got the spoiler its got a big chunk out of it but i will try and fill it and repaint

Back to the top
I have done a full service and just waiting for new water pump to come. The thermostat was not opening and pump was weak, all the bolts sheered off accessing it. I have put a new cambelt on and done the filters etc which was not a moment too soon they were clogged or filthy.

I have filled the spoiler and hopefully will get an okay result, worth a try since it's going to be like finding hens teeth or having really deep pockets. It's like someone had started eating it! Mcdonalds must have been closed

I have never known a car have so many electrical gremlin's and broken bit's. Started doing some wiring repair's but think I better take the dashboard out to see and check everything. Fitted single headlight grill which is more my taste.

IMG20210127132214.jpg IMG20210127132218.jpg IMG20210127132221.jpg IMG20210127132242.jpg IMG20210127160826.jpg IMG20210127160833.jpg IMG20210127172734.jpg IMG20210128173359.jpg IMG20210128173426.jpg

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.