Skip navigation

1979 Mars Red Series 1 GTI

Back to the top

Ok, so I've bought a S1 GTI - Out the body shop...

Cool I'll have a wander in my dinner hour. need it up and running to get it tested while I'm trying to find someone to paint it

Back to the top
There has been no updates for a while as I have been busy planning and then doing this

Anyways I got alot done today….

I tried to get the injector inserts out with the correct 12mm hex bit in a socket but 3 of them just chewed up  :angry: 1 came out ok but I had to remove the chewed 3 with a screwdriver and hammer! This is not a great situation to be in when you have a nice new refurbed head.  After I got them out I cleaned up and span the cam sprocket ensuring I cleaned inside the valve area with wd40.

This pic is from much later, as I forgot to get a quick pic, im still waiting for the new inserts to arrive from VW classic parts - Hint hint BBT!!!!

Then It was onto fitting the correct head gasket I bought from BBT and bolting the head down.  I then timed everything up but noticed that the dizzy was not pointing in the right place, so I whipped it out and found this

That is the locating hole for the dizzy, basically you can move the strait bar in the middle and once id lined it up with the groves in the outside and refitted the dizzy the rotor arm was pointing at its mark - happy days.  Ive never timed an engine up before - its actually pretty easy if you take your time! I span the engine through 2 full revolutions by hand ad then re checked all the markers and they were still bang on so with that I started re assembling the engine.

Here you can see the new SS threads and nuts from Volksbolts - top quality stuff

I need to source a gasket for this water flange, ill see if BBT do it.  I also broke the earth strap that sits below this (not visible in the pic) need to get another.

I can't get the engine started just yet as im waiting for the injector inserts and some injector washers I ordered from GSF (for some strange reason you can only order them in packs of 10 from VW at £2.70 ish each!!!!!???!! wtf is going on there VW? I think they were 27p each from GSF  So with that in mind I sanded a bit of the rear panel that looked crusty, bad news - theres a hole there

Its ok, I have a full genuine VW small rear light panel waiting in patiently in the garage.  So then I decided to strip all the wiring out of the car as I can take that back to London with me and sit there when im bored checking/repairing.

No wiring left in here

And all gone from the bay too

And thats it for todays play.  I won't be doing any more tomorrow either unless the bits turn up so its wiring next.  Getting there….

Back to the top
the earth strap is still available from VAG but there £11.

Back to the top
Cheers mate, ill just buy it I think!

Back to the top
Day off today so I started on the wiring I have ripped out.

I ordered some connectors and stuff from vehicle wiring products, good quality and super cheap!

Anyways heres what I used today…

Here is the dash loom when I started, it was minging.  

It was covered in sticky residue from old tape and oily hands so I pulled the old tape off and replaced with cable ties (temporarily).  I wired in a horn relay to a VAG plate I got off my mate Matt, I rewired the T14 plug as some idiot had moved all the wires about on it for some reason.  I also checked off all the wires using a combination of Rubjohnnys wiring FAQ and the Haynes - big shout to john! he has helped me loads so far.  Any dodgy terminals were cleaned up and those stupid scotchlocs were removed too - I also have a hatred for those coloured terminal plugs (the yellow, blue and red ones) so they have been removed for just metal terminals.

Anyways I have cleaned the loom using gunk and its now hanging up to dry

So I have a few things left to do on it and then its finished….

Label the individual wires/plugs so I know where they go for installation

Run a new temp to hot wire to T14/9 as mine is missing it

Sort out cranking +12v cct - I need to wire a plug on the end of this that will enable me to distribute it to the cold start valve and thermo switch for choke

Run an earth for rear plate on the clocks

Fuel pump relay cct needs wiring into a relay plate

Remove the tie wraps and replace with Loom tape

Then I can move onto the other two looms for the engine bay….

Back to the top
hi lee lookin at that brings me out in a cold sweat !

Back to the top
good to hear the relay plate was ok for you mate :D

this brings back memories when i did mine, what a mission lol

keep up the good work ..

Matt

Back to the top
i must watch this refurb , learning plenty , cheers

Back to the top
Oh hi matt! I ment to PM you back about the plate! Thank you very much, I hope your holiday was nice?

Cheers for the nice comments guys, can't wait to hear it fire! I'm nervous tho

In other news the injector inserts have came from Germany and I've got new injector washers.  All I need to buy now is 8 dash bulbs from CQ and some copper washers and I'm ready to go.

Back to the top
I've been taking more delivery of bits from Vehicle Wiring Products and I've almost finished the dash loom.

I know its not factory but at least its tidy and easy to manage.  You won't see any of it anyways.

All ive got to do is put 2 ends on 2 wires and were done. The two engine bay looms have had 1 session of degreasing but I think there going to need another 1.  I won't be wrapping much of these as im not sure if its safe with engine heat? the right hand loom sits close to the exhaust mani…

Back to the top
very neat sir!

Back to the top
Thursday is the day……  8O

….. Nothing can possibly go wrong, it will run  :roll:

But if it doesn't I'm going to push it in the street and set fire to it  :twisted:

Oh and this came today, the very last piece of my S1 dash puzzle!, im made up

I have a swallowtail one on there at the min, its only when I was doing the wiring I noticed that there should be a fan speed switch so now ive got the right bit of trim someone can have the swallow tail one for what I paid for this one.

Back to the top
glad you are gettin her sorted , i am also relieved to read someone else is having mood swings with their golf !

Back to the top
Tonight I have almost finished off one of the engine bay looms (the smallest one) I have only got to make 3 more terminations on it to get rid of the nasty blue/red/yellow connectors for all metal ones.  So I plugged that and the engine bay loom into my fusebox and checked that everything had a connection - as you can see the plugs and distribution terminals are not VW, there vehicle wiring products'.

Just 1 more loom to go but I've ran out of tape and connectors so I'm going to go and order some more to finish off this loom and do the next one!

Oh and I know there is a red/black cable going to pin H but I can assure you its actually the Red T30 cable but I ran out of red wire so have jointed it to some red/black I had.

Back to the top
:(

Got home last night and found my new injector inserts

There the wrong ones, the thread is too small.  ffs - not happy as ive waited a month to get them from Germany.

So today I should of been reporting that the engine was running and all was well but thats now going to be put back while I track the correct inserts down, p!ssed off isn't the word.

keep an eye out on ebay if you want the swallowtail heater panel as ill be selling it in the next few days, probably the start of July actually.

So yea, what a sh!t day.

Back to the top
The Looms are done thank god!   :D

it basically all looks like this now…

Its been a right pain in the arse but its all checked through and ready to go.  Ive got a few connections to make, but there not necessary for starting the car and getting it up to running temp when I check it over next week.

So every S1 always has a problem with the fuel pump pin on the back of the wiring harness' right?

BOOM!

Pretty messed up right? well I managed to get hold of the bits that VW made and fitted to S1 gti's as a recall

So I did this

That plug just plugs into slot L of the fuseboard and then you just run a wire from pin 87 to the fuel pump 3 way thingy

In other news I have got the correct injector inserts….

Got them from VW, £12 and next day delivery!  :banghead:

Note to all

Injector inserts for 1.6 engines 063 133 555 available at the dealer £2.something each
Injector inserts for 1.8 engines 063 133 555 available through classic parts £30 delivered for 4

Ive got my next stab at getting this going on wednesday…..

Back to the top
have got a bit more done on the car, not as much as I thought I would thanks to an impromptu trip to Rome (loverly city)

I have screwed the engine back together

And just connected the wiring up enough to get the car started

It started but then died again a few times, I was pleased to see dash lights, oil pressure lights and the rev counter working tho.  Unfortunatly I think I have burned the starter out, it still works but its really weak and won't turn the engine over (which I can do by hand) the battery is brand new and fully charged so its not that and there is a funny burning smell comming from the starter so I presume I need a new one

Back to the top
So today I went and picked up a starter today from a guy breaking his mk1 in Darlington

and then

:D

Next step is to get the gasket for the head water flange and then I can get it up to temp and make sure its alright.  It currently idles at 2500rpm as well so that needs looking at  :lol:

Mega happy now, a result to spur me on.   8)

Back to the top
Well done matey. Well done indeed. What a result…. I cannot wait for mine to start over, following your advice regards the fuel pump relay - I have pretty much done what you have on the relay plate. Fingers crossed for this weekend…..

Glad to see another S1 brought back to life!

1980 Series 1 GTI (gone now .. what a mistake selling her!)
1979 Series 1 LD - the Mandarin Dragon … gone as well. oh dear.

Back to the top
Hello mate

yea its a great feeling getting it running for the first time! in the case of this one, first time since 2006!

Im glad my thread is useful to some for reference, good luck for friday mate - keep us posted!
There are too many online users to list.