Skip navigation

1976 MK1 LS Swallowtail

Back to the top
Thought I would start a topic on my 1976 MK1 for you to have a look at as I believe that the early mk1's are quite rare in UK.

Some of you would remember me from when I joined in the newbies section.  But I have finally got around to starting a thread here.

Really havent done a lot to it except clean it up on the exterior (and interior).

2"resonated  exhaust and extractors and a 32/36 Weber DGAV - sounds great now!  And put Aluline Turbine wheels on it. Then I picked up these Audi leather seats which were already welded to mk1 seat rails And a wolfsburg steering wheel  

Last edit: by eri_12

Back to the top
I recently purchased a new carpet and doorcards off Newton Commercial.  Amazing quality and they look great.

Back to the top
Looking very nice, the Audi seats look good, some that I have seen look too over the top. Mind you have you kept the original vynil interior as I would imagine this is pretty rare now - can't remember ever seeing a UK car with one, even though the early brochures show it.

Can't really beat a Wolfsburg Steeting wheel either, although your original one was very retro, looked a bit like an early Scirocco one from the picture.

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Wow, that's a beautiful car, love it!!  :wub:

Back to the top

RichardHall said

Looking very nice, the Audi seats look good, some that I have seen look too over the top. Mind you have you kept the original vynil interior as I would imagine this is pretty rare now - can't remember ever seeing a UK car with one, even though the early brochures show it.

Can't really beat a Wolfsburg Steeting wheel either, although your original one was very retro, looked a bit like an early Scirocco one from the picture.

Yes dont worry I kept the og seats and doorcards - the seats are actually back in now.  The first steering wheel was off a Passat TS (I still have the wheel and am not getting rid of it!)

Thanks

Back to the top
Lovely car and keep the pics coming 😄

Back to the top
That's a great swallowtail, very nice indeed  :cool:  As mentioned, the Audi seats don't look out of place at all.

Anything else on the list to do or simply enjoy it now?

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
No more plans at this stage but I would like to get my other set of seats recovered…
I have also got a correct swallowtail bonnet that I am in the process of painting…
Oh, and I have some Ronal Teddies coming :) which I might run for something different.

Back to the top
Nice tidy Swallowtail you have there. Keep the updates and pics coming.

Back to the top
Does the newton commercial carpet fit all the way up to the dash correctly, just I have a series 1, and I have been told they don't but up to the dash so can see metal if you understand what I mean lol

Back to the top

Grant Owens said

Does the newton commercial carpet fit all the way up to the dash correctly, just I have a series 1, and I have been told they don't but up to the dash so can see metal if you understand what I mean lol

Yeah it does cover everything…used to have a cheapy ebay one that didn't fit all the way up to the dash and the newton comm one makes it way warmer.

Back to the top
Test fitted the teddies :)Just need a couple of spacers for the fronts and they will be perfect

Back to the top
maaan that's a nice car, if it was me id be keeping it standard :D

South West Regional Host

Previous;
1991 Clipper, 1978 S1 GLS, 1983 Type25, 1989 Clipper GTI

Current;
Zero, zilch, nought, zero, nothing….

Banner

Back to the top
:thumbs: . sweet ride. got one on that colour too. what wheels did you go with in the end? any history on it?

Back to the top

arf333 said

maaan that's a nice car, if it was me id be keeping it standard :D
Well all the mods are reversible so I can easily return it to std anytime…which I probably will one day…maybe when she turns 40 :)

richardblom said

:thumbs: . sweet ride. got one on that colour too. what wheels did you go with in the end? any history on it?
Cheers its a great colour.  Still on the alulines atm, need a couple of spacers for the teddies to fit properly.
Also have some 14" Zender Turbo phase 1's which I am going to refurb they will probably go on at some point.

Back to the top
Getting really jeleous of all these series ones popping up on the froum.. Make me want to sell my series 2 now!!!

Wanted: Front Bumper, DESPERATELY NEED A DRIVERS WING!

MY Build Thread

My Facebook Build Page #Project83

Back to the top
Amazing!

1986 Cabriolet (long resto!)
1983 Cabriolet (daily pain in the bum)
1983 T25 (weekend pain in the bum)

Follow us on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Twitter: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/
Instagram: https://www.facebook.com/vwgolfmk1oc/

Banner

Back to the top
So haven't been on in a while…not really any updates on the mk1 except I have the opportunity to buy some nos happich pop outs :D
Hopefully it all works out and I'll have some pics to throw up soon!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.