Skip navigation

"TAG" - 1983 Campaign restoration blog

Back to the top
I fitted my engine and box separately and it was still a tight squeeze getting the engine in. Gearbox was even less fun as I had to do it on my own. Looking very clean and tidy though!

Out of interest, is the heat shield around the gear selector original or can you still get them? - mine is missing that bit. Also, is that new plastic bit on the selector finger?

Cheers,

J

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Pah, you guys get it easy. Try shoe horning an R32 engine in with box and not damaging paint :lol:

Seriously looking superb by the way 👌

Back to the top

Back to the top
So not the engine is in - time for all the others items to be refitted to enable the engine to be restarted.

First off the heater box.  I dismantled this & removed all the years of debris inside.

DSCN1287.JPG

DSCN1304.JPG

DSCN1305.JPG

DSCN1312.JPG

I could see immediately that the main seals between it and the body were perished and needed replacement.  Also the two heater air flaps foam coverings had also badly deteriorated and needed attention.

DSCN1327.JPG

DSCN1328.JPG

It was a simple job of separating the two halves and then using some old foam headlining making a new section.  

DSCN1333.JPG

DSCN1337.JPG

DSCN1334.JPG

DSCN1338.JPG

Then a matter of reassembly.

DSCN1339.JPG

DSCN1341.JPG

New heater matrix fitted and new foam seals.

DSCN1346.JPG

Finally looking rather better than before and should hopefully work rather better!

DSCN1348.JPG

Back to the top
Next up was fitting the brake fluid reservoir to the new 16V master cylinder.  I had previously fitted the larger MK2 servo and cylinder.  Trying to get the two "legs" of the reservoir into the tight new master cylinder seals was challenging!!  In the end I found the best thing was using a DIY hand cramp tool to gently apply pressure until if finally "popped" into place.

DSCN1381.JPG

DSCN1382.JPG

Back to the top
Now the new CIS pipes.  The old ones were in a shocking and corroded state and had been over tightened over the years causing them to actually twist the ends on the metering head unit.

I used new copper crush washers throughout and found that using a torque wrench they are not done very tight at all.

Nice looking result!  OK they cost a lot but great peace of mind to know they shouldn't give any future issues - and they add a bit of bling to the engine compartment.  

DSCN1394.JPG

DSCN1395.JPG

IMG_3605.JPG

Back to the top
The battery cables were in a poor condition.  In fact when I bought the car I had two positive cables fitted!!!!   I ideally wanted the original VAG style crimped terminals not the usual retro fit bolted cables.  Eventually found a pair on eBay from a Passat B1(73-81) that were just right, although the positive is a little long.  The negative wire also benefited from having a fixed eye to provide the chassis earth.  This was in the wrong location so I managed to open the crimp and move it to the correct location.  

DSCN1391.JPG

Back to the top

Back to the top
Now for the various vacuum hoses - with new clips.

DSCN1387.JPG

DSCN1388.JPG

DSCN1389.JPG

DSCN1390.JPG

Back to the top
OK - so now I reckon I am ready to start.  Refitted the throttle cable, clutch cable, engine wiring, fuse box.  But no interior or electrics connected except the fuel pump and ignition.   New engine oil - tick.  New gearbox oil - tick.  New coolant - tick ………. then I went for a cuppa prior to starting…….  Came back and saw a couple of coolant drips on the floor.  No worries I thought - just a loose clip somewhere that needs nipping up.  BUT they were all dry….???????  SO jacked up the front and crawled under….  still couldn't see any issues.  Finally, and heart sinkingly found a weep from one of the main engine core plugs!!!  Horror!!!!   I had had the engine block rebuilt by a pro who recommended not replacing them.  I contacted the engine builder who had over 25 years experience in building MK1 engines, mainly for racing and he was astonished,.  This was only the third core plug failure in his 25 years experience had had come across.  He assured me I could replace in situ although it would be difficult.

I managed to bang a hole in the middle of the plug and hoped to "hook it out".  No way!!!!  Even managing to hook a large L shaped allen key into the enlarged hole it would not budge.  Finally managed to use a punch and bang on the edge of the plug to "spin" it round in the hole.  Getting thoroughly drenched in coolant in the process - even having drained as much off as possible.

IMG_3659.JPG

IMG_3660.JPG

DSCN1399.JPG

Bought a new plug from VAG (!) - still fitted to current models (!) and tapped into place with some Bondlock  B577 as recommended by the engine builder.  Thankfully no further leaks.

DSCN1402.JPG

On examining the old plug - although badly destroyed it had remarkably little corrosion on the reverse side and no evidence of why it was leaking.   

Back to the top
Now time to start…..

Looks the part - but will it start!!!

DSCN1410.JPG

MK7 helped resuscitate the MK1

DSCN1405.JPG

DSCN1406.JPG

Took a while to get it running.  Didn't want to know initially.  I checked the fuel was getting to the injectors, good spark, all static timing correct on TDC… still nothing.  The found I had put the distributor back in slightly the wrong orientation.  Easy fix and then…

SUCCESS!!!!!!

Running for the first time in 4 years!!  Finally after all the hard graft it sounded really sweet!

DSCN1408.JPG

Video here on the club Facebook site of the happy moment.  

Having broken down 4 years ago, prompting the start of total nut/bolt restoration - today my rebuilt GTi engine ran for the first time. It works!!!!!!!!... | By Guy

Back to the top
Prior to starting I cleaned the fuel tank with Bilt Hamber Degreaser and hot water - having sealed off the various tank outlets first.

DSCN1419.JPG

The cleaned with Bilt Hamber DeoxC and hot water for a couple of hours - turning the tank regularly and "sloshing" it around inside.  

DSCN1420.JPG

The reattached the heat shield which I have sprayed in high temp paint.

DSCN1426.JPG

Pipes attached and sprayed in Bilt Hamber S50

DSCN1428.JPG

Back to the top
Before fitting the tank finally I treated the area with Bilt Hamber S50 and those areas/cavities I wouldn't be able to get to again once the tank was in.  Shame to cover the lovely shiny silver paint but I am sure it i worth doing as added under body protection.

DSCN1423.JPG   

DSCN1424.JPG

DSCN1425.JPG

Back to the top
Fitted the new fuel filler neck/foam gasket and seam sealed the rear.

DSCN1432.JPG

Gravity valve and pipework attached with new bracket I made previously.

DSCN1430.JPG

DSCN1431.JPG

Back to the top
Fuel pump and accumulator with new fittings/pipes ready to install.  

DSCN1421.JPG

DSCN1411.JPG

Fitting the new fuel tiller neck > tank hose was certainly challenging!!!

Back to the top
A couple of other photos of the leaking core plug.  It looked perfect in situ - but when I gently scraped away the paint there was a very small hole - almost like a small screwdriver had hit it in the edge of the recess.

IMG_3613.JPG

The damage magnified.

IMG_E3612.JPG

Back to the top
Congratulations :)

Sounds really sweet and looks stunning. What a shame about the core plug but you got it sorted :thumbs:

Back to the top
Amazing work that - looks stunning!

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
So the works have been continuing…….  A few more pics of the fuel pump/accumulator and pipework fitted.

DSCN1412.JPG

DSCN1416.JPG

Back to the top
Before refitting the rear axle new brake pipes were fitted, new handbrake cables and new flexi brake pipes ….

DSCN1435.JPG

DSCN1436.JPG
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.