Skip navigation

"TAG" - 1983 Campaign restoration blog

Back to the top
Now the servo was fitted I could finish fitting the new brake pipes to the new 22mm master cylinder.
DSCN1173.JPG

DSCN1174.JPG

DSCN1175.JPG

I found I could fit the two required "tee" pieces for the brake light switches either side of the servo mounting bracket.  On the n/s there was already a hole - I drilled a matching hole on the o/s and used stainless nut/bolts.
DSCN1176.JPG

DSCN1177.JPG

A strange view - from underneath looking up.
DSCN1179.JPG

I hope these photos and words will help others when tackling these jobs.  I know how invaluable I have found other members photos.

Back to the top
Before fitting the servo/brake linkage I needed to get the engine wiring looms roughly in place as one section runs under/behind the linkage.

Before that - renewing some of the mangled K-Jet plug rubbers.   
DSCN1155.JPG

DSCN1156.JPG

This should be interesting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DSCN1169.JPG

I know it all came out of here somehow…….
DSCN1170.JPG

Beginning to make some sense of the tangle!!
DSCN1171.JPG

Back to the top
Looking great as always. What brake fluid reservoir do you plan to run?

Back to the top

Great work Guy, lots of attention to detail as always

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
This build is amazing I'll definitely use it as pointers for mine 

Back to the top
Afternoon

I'm certainly inspired by your restoration. Mine was not as bad as yours body work wise but have had to still replace N/S complete chassis leg and full front panel as well as rebuilding the area around the fuel pump/mounting a rear for the beam axle.

I've turned the U bend on my Campaign resto and use your feed as a great reference for putting things back together. I'm just refurbing the rear brake load valve and my is a similar state to what yours was. I'm just stripping it and cleaning it as was badly seized up.

Incidentally your registration ending T "AG" originated in Hull when new (either as  Green Arrow Garage's / John Seaton Garages or Dovercourt)  I used to be at college in Hull with the son of the owner of the 2 VAG franchise dealerships at the time. He used to come to college in a variety of Golfs and Audi's and I always remember the Campaign golfs with the Pirelli Ps and steel sunroof. Who knows I might have seen yours when it was nearly new with servicing as he used to bring a loan car to college and go and collect a service vehicle to take back to the dealership. That got me going and I always vowed to own a Campaign one day.

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top

adolf said

Afternoon

I'm certainly inspired by your restoration. Mine was not as bad as yours body work wise but have had to still replace N/S complete chassis leg and full front panel as well as rebuilding the area around the fuel pump/mounting a rear for the beam axle.

I've turned the U bend on my Campaign resto and use your feed as a great reference for putting things back together. I'm just refurbing the rear brake load valve and my is a similar state to what yours was. I'm just stripping it and cleaning it as was badly seized up.

Incidentally your registration ending T "AG" originated in Hull when new (either as  Green Arrow Garage's / John Seaton Garages or Dovercourt)  I used to be at college in Hull with the son of the owner of the 2 VAG franchise dealerships at the time. He used to come to college in a variety of Golfs and Audi's and I always remember the Campaign golfs with the Pirelli Ps and steel sunroof. Who knows I might have seen yours when it was nearly new with servicing as he used to bring a loan car to college and go and collect a service vehicle to take back to the dealership. That got me going and I always vowed to own a Campaign one day.

Hi Adolf

Many thanks for your interesting message.

Firstly thanks for the praise!  I am glad my blog is proving useful.  I have a couple of people who I follow closely and refer to for references/ideas etc.

Really interesting about the number plate information.  Funny twist here!  My car was actually sold new in Northern Ireland where it spent the majority of its life, on a N Ireland number of course.  It was then sold to Southern Ireland - and was registered with an Eire registration.  When I bought it from Dublin it was still on that Eire plate.  When I registered the car in UK I wrote a letter to DVLA requesting a number that if possible contained either my initials/VAG/VW/GOLF or 1983 as this was its registration year.  They kindly gave the number with 83 in it.  I had no idea till now that my number was from Hull - so thanks for that.  I am interested in the history of the car, so even thought the car itself has never been to Hull your fact adds another little nugget to the story.

Good luck with the resto - I am trying to keep mine pretty much standard - suspension etc - with just a few subtle mods like the brake servo and later wiper motor.  

Back to the top

Rich. said

Looking great as always. What brake fluid reservoir do you plan to run?

I think it's from a Lupo - when I bought the brake servo the breaker threw it in for free.  

Back to the top
Evening 

Ah right - well at least you've pieced the history together when the car was new. Obviously "TAG" - would have been better if it was "VAG" but at least you got the '83 in there.😄

Good luck with the remainder of the restoration.

I've tried to get the reg : KRO203Y off the DVLA but as it was my old car reg (long since scrapped😩) they won't re-release it - I could have KRO203X if I wanted to buy it, but it's not the same.

MK1 Golf GTi Campaign:Alpine White, Vauxhall Omega MV6, Alpina B10 3.3 Touring, Dolomite Sprint, MG ZT V6, Volvo T5 R estate  6C2B5B6F-1CA5-44CA-A93C-6B7F5206CD7F.jpeg

Back to the top
Afternoon 

Dawned on me - I note your car originally had the 3 piece Zender roof spoiler?

Do you still have it and if so are you looking to sell or keep it? My Alpine White Campaign must have had one as the screw holes are there - so I need to get one, or bodge fill the holes prior to painting. 

As it's 1980s period mod - I'm content to fit one, although generally I'm a "standard as they left the factory" sort

Cheers 

Back to the top
SO last job to do in the engine bay  before fitting the engine is the steering column UV joint.

First - time to refurb the column
DSCN1197.JPG

Looking rather better!
DSCN1200.JPG

UV joint connected.
DSCN1205.JPG

… and boot
DSCN1206.JPG

Quite fiddly to get the column back in - aligning the UV joint, and the bolts going through the bulkhead to attach to the end of the brake servo push bar mechanism.  
DSCN1215.JPG

Back to the top
Last chance for those photos without the engine in place…….

DSCN1210.JPG

DSCN1212.JPG

DSCN1214.JPG

Back to the top
SO finally time to sling the engine and get it off the engine stand and down to floor level on block to fit the new clutch.  

After advice I chose to buy an inexpensive engine leveller - VERY glad I did as it made fitting the engine much easier!
DSCN1219.JPG

I didn't have a lifting eye on the alternator end of the block so used a long bolt through the threaded alternator bracket hole
DSCN1220.JPG

DSCN1221.JPG

In the air………………….
DSCN1222.JPG

DSCN1225.JPG

DSCN1226.JPG

Carefully set down on some blocks - making sure no to damage the sump/sump lip/waterpump/pulleys and leaving enough clearance to attach the plate between the engine/gearbox.
DSCN1227.JPG

Back to the top
Clutch fitting time!

End of the block/crank seal
DSCN1230.JPG

Cleaned and plated engine/transmission plate
DSCN1231.JPG

Plate attached
DSCN1232.JPG

New Sachs clutch kit
DSCN1237.JPG

Never having done this before I bought a clutch alignment device.
DSCN1238.JPG

I'm not sure that it helped a great deal.  It was a slightly slack fit in clutch plate so could not be relied on to ensure accurate centering of the friction plate.  I had to use a vernier caliper to ensure it was central in the end.  
DSCN1239.JPG

DSCN1240.JPG

Clutch plate bolted into position.  I used a 15mm spanner to "lock" the flywheel in place.  Use one of the gearbox fitting bolts in the block and one of the flywheel bolts in the flywheel.
DSCN1243.JPG

Thrust plate and spring attached
DSCN1244.JPG

Home schooling……………….
DSCN1245.JPG

Fitting the clutch plate
DSCN1246.JPG

Flywheel bolted on.  Did the bolts up gradually in a diagonal pattern.
DSCN1247.JPG

Took the chance to paint the timing marks - hopefully make life a bit easier in the future for timing.
DSCN1248.JPG

Back to the top
VW GTi powered wheelbarrow!
DSCN1249.JPG

Used lots of padding/supporting blocks/straps as I had to move the engine from the workshop to the garage.
DSCN1250.JPG

DSCN1251.JPG

DSCN1253.JPG

Ready to receive the gearbox.  With my able assistant (dad!) - we put the gearbox on a folded down workmate and the adjusted the engine height to match.  Screwdrivers through the top bolt holes into the block holes helped line things up
DSCN1256.JPG

Back to the top
……….and after all the months of hard work a moment I wondered if I would ever get to - the heart of the car going back in!

My glamorous (?!?) assistant!
DSCN1257.JPG

In she goes………………….
DSCN1258.JPG

Used old cardboard to protect vulnerable areas of the bodywork - especially the scuttle area.
DSCN1259.JPG

Result!!!!!
DSCN1260.JPG

Lessons learned:
1. Don't fit the aux air valve on the rear of the intake - no room to get it in otherwise.

2. Don't fit the gearbox side mount to the engine - once the engine is in the right position then fit it.  It was just tooo tight for comfort with it in position.

3.  Don't fit the front engine steady support to the engine before hand.  With the starter fitted and the support bracket - as with the gearbox support it was just too close for comfort to the front cross member and without it fitted I could the move engine about more freely to align the side mounts.  

4.  Use an engine hoist leveller.  It made it so much more manoeuvrable.  I found I needed to tilt the engine to quite an angle to get the gearbox under the battery tray side mount position.  I bought the cheapest version and for the sake of £25 it saved the paint!!!!!

5.  Without the front mount/gearbox mount attached it was possible to get the engine in at an angle and then level it all without catching the scuttle/front crossmember.  Once level attached the o/s bolt, then reattached the gearbox mount & bolted that the support and finally reattached the starter/front support.

Everything then seemed aligned very nicely.  I checked the alignment on the side mounts and hey presto!

Back to the top
Now the fun of reconnecting all the gear linkage.  So many parts!!!

All new and plated parts
DSCN1266.JPG

The old seal around the gear selector housing was perished so I made a new one out of draught excluder.
DSCN1267.JPG

All fitted
DSCN1278.JPG

DSCN1280.JPG

DSCN1281.JPG

DSCN1282.JPG

Selector finger adjusted  to the correct position - I hope!
DSCN1283.JPG

Boot added _ fun job!!!! and heat shield.
DSCN1284.JPG

Back to the top
Some of you may have seen my topic in the Helllpppp section of the forum regarding an issue I had with the gear selector lever on the gearbox.  Basically having fitted the larger 9" brake servo and master cylinder - the gear selector lever was hitting the servo - and that was before fitting the rod to it.

DSCN1261.JPG

DSCN1272.JPG

I had a spare shift lever so after much trial and error found that by bending it into a tighter shape it could pass under the servo with plenty of clearance

Original v modified
DSCN1268.JPG .

DSCN1274.JPG

DSCN1275.JPG

Only when I can get the engine started and try engaging gears will I know if  this mod has been successful and hasn't altered the shift.  But moving the lever by hand all looks good.
DSCN1276.JPG

DSCN1277.JPG

Back to the top

Brilliant attention to detail. Like your recommendations of what not to fit to the engine before lowering it in. I found some of the same issues.

Interesting your comment on the gear selection for your linkage mod. I had a similar issue when fitting a five speed box in place of the original 4 speed. The sweep and length of each component can affect the actual movement / range at the gearstick / gate.

Whilst your gaiter / boot underneath the gearstick is affectively dry, I added self amalgamating tape around the boot and white cap to keep it in place. Local testing on mine found the white cap to drop out when doing extreme to extreme movements.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

Back to the top
I finally got mine connected up, and I definitely have more clearance. I've not had to modify the arm at all.
As has been said, engine mounts aren't really precision mounting points are they.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.